AspectJ Maven Plugin

Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sep 18, 2018, 4:58:23 PM9/18/18
to mojohaus-dev
Hi,

I have tried to build AspectJ Maven Plugin with JDK 9 which will fail mostly all integration tests..

furthermore I've tried to update aspectJ version to 1.9.1 but with the same result...

Can we do more ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Dan Tran

Sep 18, 2018, 5:01:16 PM9/18/18
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
there is PR to get java 9 working but could not get any mojo dev to push it.  An user ended up to fork  and release it

-D

Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sep 18, 2018, 5:20:07 PM9/18/18
to mojohaus-dev
Hi,

I've merged one branch back to master..

lets see what happened...

If it helps I can cut a release ...

During the VOTE someone should check if it works with JDK 9..if not we can fix and cut a new release afterwards..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Dan Tran

Sep 18, 2018, 5:29:54 PM9/18/18
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
i am sure lots of users will jump in to help with testing. I don't have any java 9 project to test yet

Thanks

-D

mikael petterson

Sep 19, 2018, 1:27:56 AM9/19/18
to mojohaus-dev

We cannot get the latest codebase to work with java 10 compliance.

//mikael

David Karlsen

Sep 19, 2018, 6:59:51 PM9/19/18
to mojohaus-dev
Hi - sorry for not responding to the thread that was directly to mojo-members - the mailing list is a lot better place.
I've been - very lowbudget - maintaining this until now - but I am very swamped at the moment - if others could chip in in would be great.
Last PR I merged was: https://github.com/mojohaus/aspectj-maven-plugin/pull/37 - which I should probably not have done as the CI build @travis started to fail https://travis-ci.org/mojohaus/aspectj-maven-plugin/builds - that can be rolled back - but it was supposed to fix the JDK9 compat (I guess now 10/11 is more relevant).
There is some discussion going on in that PR that there are some invalid tests.

Maybe the better option is to roll master back into a working state, get the full fix in a PR and apply that?

Are anybody willing to take over maintainership - maybe some of the PR authors could join mojohaus?

Again - sorry for the silence and latest PR merge mess - where do we want to go with this - something needs to be done before java 11 is GA.

mikael petterson

Sep 20, 2018, 2:32:55 AM9/20/18
to mojohaus-dev
Hi David

Glad to hear you are alive :-)

Which list should we use?

A quote I got from him.
"

If needed I can volunteer to help with maintaining the plugin and

cutting the release but I would need permissions to do so.

"

I can also assist since we have an interest in the plugin. And there could be another person that could also assist ( just need to double check).

What do you need from all of us to be able to contribute ( I mean in terms of access rights)?

what kind of exception the a fork of the release gives.

We need to make it work for jdk 10/11 so jdk 9 is not urgent.

I think it would be good to revert the fix since it does not solve the problem for jdk10 ( as in issue 24).

Those are our 22 cents of input.

br,

//mikael

David Karlsen

Sep 20, 2018, 2:42:55 AM9/20/18
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
This one

David Karlsen

Sep 20, 2018, 3:33:23 AM9/20/18
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, tomaz...@gmail.com, khmar...@gmx.de
How can we onboard Tomaz to mojohaus so that he can maintain the plugin ?

Tomaž Cerar

Sep 27, 2018, 4:48:03 AM9/27/18
to David Karlsen, mojoha...@googlegroups.com, khmar...@gmx.de
Hey guys,

sorry for late reply (went to spam & had some issues with posting here)

I really don't mind with helping to maintain this plugin.

When it comes to building an testing master of aspectj-maven-plugin on JDK9/10/11 it wont work,
but changes there will allow user to override aspectj to make it work properly, for details on this

I did however made build work and most* tests passing on JDK 8/9/10 & 11.

Where main changes are move to aspectj 1.9.1 which works better on JDK 9 as well as other changes need
to make tests pass properly.

Test "AnnotationProcessingOutput" had to get ignored, as if fails with newer version of aspectj.
Root cause is somewhere in relation google auto-value annotation-processor <--> ecj.
I did try with combination of different versions of both, but couldn't find working solution.

I can create a PR with my (cleaned up) changes if needed and if that helps with release process itself.

This branch is bases for internal release in our company, so we can now compile our code on JDK 11.

--
tomaz

Phil Clay

Oct 30, 2018, 9:25:31 PM10/30/18
to mojohaus-dev
Has there been any movement on releasing aspectj-maven-plugin with Java 11 support?

aspectj added java 11 support in 1.9.2 last week.

I'm anxiously awaiting Java 11 support in aspectj-maven-plugin to take advantage of it.