Quitting unexpectedly

emri...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 12:45:55 AM1/20/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello, yesterday I tried to download the new version of Mnemosyne and now I am no longer able to open the new one or the old one. I have a Macbook pro and every time I try to open either one, a notification comes up saying that Mnemosyne has quit unexpectedly. I had about 1000 flashcards on the original app and I haven't backed them up so I was really hoping there was some way I could access them again without losing my data! Thank you!

Emily

Peter Bienstman

Jan 20, 2018, 12:52:20 AM1/20/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, de...@callysto.com
Hi,

I'm putting Devin, our Mac developer in Cc.

Later versions of Mnemosyne also require later versions of MacOS (see the note on the download page on our website)

Which os version are you running?

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 22, 2018, 9:29:42 PM1/22/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi, I tried this out on my machine and I wasn't able to see an error.

Could you directly email me your database files so I can try with your set of cards? It should be everything under /Users/<your username>/Library/Mnemosyne

If you send me that, perhaps I'll be able to find out what the issue is.

As Peter said, it would also be interesting to know what version of macOS you are running (which you can find under "About this Mac" in the main apple menu).

Devin Howard

Feb 5, 2018, 10:43:21 PM2/5/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Emily

I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I tried making a special build of Mnemosyne 2.6 just for macOS that uses a newer version of some internal software ("qt 5.10")

You can find Mnemosyne-2.6-qt5.10.dmg at https://sourceforge.net/projects/mnemosyne-proj/files/mnemosyne/mnemosyne-2.6/. It looks a little old fashioned for some reason, and it might have different bugs, but it's possible it will fix your issue. Stranger things have happened!

Try it out and let me know if it works for you. You should be safe to switch between the Mnemosyne-2.6 app and the Mnemosyne-2.6-qt5.10 app if you don't like the new version.

Dan Schmidt

Feb 12, 2018, 8:34:56 AM2/12/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Some more data: this morning I was suddenly unable to run Mnemosyne at all (macOS 10.13.3, upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra a few weeks ago but had been running every day since). I would get a "Trace/BPT trap: 5" error that appeared to be happening inside Qt from the stack trace. I had a few old versions of Mnemosyne so I tried those; 2.4 had the same problem but 2.3.6 ran okay.

I came to this group and discovered 2.6-qt5.10, which seems to be running fine (though as you say the style has changed somewhat). Thanks for that, and let me know if I can add any more useful information.

Dan

m.ke...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 10:14:45 AM2/14/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I came across this thread because my Mnemosyne was crashing (segfault) on editing cards. I am on macOS 10.13.3, using 2.6 it segfaults when I try to edit an entry. (Just using it to memorize and score works fine, funnily enough adding new cards works too.)
So I tested with 2.6-qt5.10 version, this one does not segfault but shows a way too big editing popup window with garbage white/grey stripes = editing does not work but app stays alive.

This is happening with a selfmade DB french/german vocabulary that grew to 1300 entries over the last 6month. After export in v2.x cards format and re-import (losing my scoring though) everything works fine again. I can send my segfault-causing ~/Libary/Mnemosyne folder if that helps.

br
mike

Devin Howard

Feb 14, 2018, 10:30:01 AM2/14/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike

Yes, please send me your Mnemosyne folder and I'll try it out and see if I can learn anything else. So far I haven't had much luck finding the issue so maybe this will help