Mezzanine 5.0 alpha 1 released!

Eduardo Rivas

Sep 8, 2020, 10:02:23 PM9/8/20
to Mezzanine Users

Hello everyone!

I'm very happy to announce that the first pre-release of the next major version of Mezzanine is now available: 5.0.0 alpha 1. You can download it right now with `pip install -U mezzanine==5.0.0a1`. This will also get you the alpha versions for filebrowser-safe and grappelli-safe.

The biggest change is that we have completely dropped support for Python 2 and Django versions prior to 2.2.

Other than that you can check out the pre-release notes over at GitHub: https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/releases/tag/v5.0.0-alpha.1

With this version we're also testing a new release process based on Semantic Versioning that should make it much easier to publish pre-release and stable versions to PyPI so the community can test Mezzanine without having to install from GitHub.

Additionally, since this is an alpha release, we request you do not use it in production systems (unless you're ready to report and/or fix bugs). You can help get Mezzanine to a stable release by filing bug reports on the GitHub issue tracker. The community has already identified a few minor bugs which are now being worked on as you can see here: https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22release+blocker%22

Finally, I want to publicly thank Stephen McDonald who authored and maintained Mezzanine for many years, as well as many other members of the core team and the larger community who have made Mezzanine what it is today. Going forward I (Ed Rivas) will be serving as the maintainer of the project. I look forward to helping grow and nurture this amazing CMS.

Stephen McDonald

Sep 9, 2020, 5:56:05 PM9/9/20
to Mezzanine Users
Thanks for all your hard work with this Ed and for taking the reins overall.

Really cool to see some of the meta improvements you've made too.

Matt Mansour

Sep 9, 2020, 6:30:20 PM9/9/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks for keeping it going!

Message has been deleted

Eduardo Rivas

Feb 23, 2021, 8:36:18 AM2/23/21
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Installing the alpha is not the same as installing from the master branch. The alpha doesn't need to be built, it can be installed directly: pip install -U mezzanine==5.0.0a1

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021, 3:29 PM Michael Babcock <bignta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Finally decided to check this out and this might be a stupid question but how do I when building this release, convince it to insert a version other than 0.0.dev0?
When I subsequently try to pip install {stuff that needs mezzanine}, it insists on complaining about my 'older' release.
Is there a step or package I'm missing?  Also, can't wait to see how things evolve!