Thickness range in WPS for Fillet

Shivasankar A

Apr 17, 2024, 6:14:51 AMApr 17
to Materials & Welding
Dear team,

can anyone clarify my issue.

During the preparation of WPS & PQR of SA 516 GR 70 to SA 516 GR 70 - 10mm Plate Groove weld, my AI (Authorised Inspector) was insisted me to put the Thickness range for fillet weld as 38mm maximum in both WPS & PQR.

I am unable to understand this. Because as per ASME Section IX Table QW451.4 - All groove weld tests can qualify "All fillet sizes on all base metal thicknesses and all diameters" So according to my understanding it should be unlimited but why my AI insisting me to put as 38 mm max..

Pls Clarify.

Regards,
Shivasankar A

Vikas Bhandari

Apr 17, 2024, 10:05:27 AMApr 17
to material...@googlegroups.com
For fillet,  I don't think 38 mm pqr is needed for asme ix compliance

This 38 mm requirement comes from qw-202.3 which is more for weld repair and build up and qualifying unlimited parent material thickness. Also , please see qw-202.4

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

srinivas rao

Apr 17, 2024, 10:05:29 AMApr 17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Due to the PWHT requirement  for joints over 38mm - refer to UCS-56

Thanks & Regards
Srinivas Rao

Sudalai Kannan

Apr 17, 2024, 10:05:29 AMApr 17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Shivasankar,

The fillet weld size should be less than 38mm for the WPS which is qualified without PWHT or less than 38mm thickness. Otherwise, the WPS should be qualified with PWHT.

As per ASME SEC. VIII Div.1, PWHT is mandatory above 38mm Thickness.

With Thanks,
Sudalai. M

Shivasankar A

Apr 18, 2024, 4:03:21 AMApr 18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr.Sudalai,

Thanks for your response at the right time.

if possible can you please point out in the ASME section where this point is mentioned. So it will be very helpful for me to share this knowledge with my reportees and team.

Regards,
Shivasankar A

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/CA%2BZM_eYx%2BL5nHJE-k4jOkak_XZ%3DGSdNjniePVFT32pwBtW-0xg%40mail.gmail.com.

Shivasankar A

Apr 18, 2024, 4:03:22 AMApr 18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mr. Srinivas. I got what I was looking for, through your response .

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/CAHdRSONy-gzpzZOWK%2B8nE70%3Dj6UvQpV5Dq8DYnb7Cr%3DjZDgppA%40mail.gmail.com.

Shivasankar A

Apr 18, 2024, 4:03:23 AMApr 18
to Materials & Welding
Thanks to all.

I got what i looked for. And in UCS -56 there is tables P-No wise. Still i asked for the SA516 GR 70 i got the points from UCS 56 -1 Table which is for P-No 1. but if i am asking the same question for the SA 240 Tp 316L that is for p-No 8 materials. There is no separate table for p-No-8.

So kindly advise me for the SS 316 that is for p-No 8.

For p-No. 8 also same rule is applicable? then how and what basis?

Regards,
Shivasankar A

Sudalai Kannan

Apr 18, 2024, 5:08:38 AMApr 18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Please refer ASME SEC. VIII Div. 1, Table UCS -56-1, PWHT requirements for CS & Alloy steel ( P- No. 1)
 General notes : (b) 1 & 2.

Regards,
Sudalai. M

Amol Betkar

Apr 18, 2024, 5:08:47 AMApr 18
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Shivsanker,

The ASME Section IX Table QW-451.4 indeed allows groove weld tests to qualify all fillet sizes on all base metal thicknesses and diameters. However, the restriction of 38mm maximum fillet weld thickness suggested by your Authorised Inspector (AI) likely stems from practical considerations and industry standards rather than explicit regulatory requirements.

Here's a technical rationale for the limitation:

  1. Weld Quality Assurance: Fillet weld thicknesses beyond a certain limit can introduce challenges in ensuring consistent weld quality, especially in terms of penetration, fusion, and soundness. Welding thicker fillet welds may increase the risk of defects such as lack of fusion or incomplete penetration, which can compromise the structural integrity of the joint.

  2. Heat Input and Distortion Control: Welding thicker fillet welds requires higher heat input, which can lead to increased distortion and residual stresses in the welded structure. Keeping fillet weld thickness within a certain range allows for better control over heat input and distortion during welding, leading to a more stable and predictable welding process.

  3. Practical Considerations: While the ASME code provides guidelines for qualification, it is not uncommon for industry practices and standards to impose additional limitations based on practical experience and considerations for weldability, fabrication, and inspection. The 38mm maximum fillet weld thickness suggested by your AI may align with common industry practices and standards aimed at ensuring weld quality and structural integrity.

In summary, while the ASME code permits qualification of groove welds for all fillet sizes, practical considerations related to weld quality, distortion control, and industry standards may warrant imposing a maximum fillet weld thickness limit, as suggested by your AI. Consulting with your AI and considering industry best practices can help ensure that your welding procedures meet both regulatory requirements and practical quality standards.

Regards,

Amol K.Betkar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787
---

Best regards,

Amol K.B
B.E(Mech), CSWIP 3.2.2, NACE CIP 1 & ASNT LII(4M)

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 18, 2024, 5:30:19 AMApr 18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Both of u correct. As per sec IX u r correct and As per Sec8 ( referring code) he is also. While choosing the WPS, to be careful whether it address all requirements of Reference code.

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,