Fwd: Mulberry's Artist Build and Load In!

Robert McTrusty

Feb 14, 2017, 7:00:33 AM2/14/17
to Katherine Freund, Matt Hummel, Sam Harmon, makersa...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emily Appelbaum <emi...@britewinter.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM
Subject: Mulberry's Artist Build and Load In!
To: John Kasunich <jmkas...@fastmail.fm>, Nelson Morris <nmor...@kent.edu>, Robert McTrusty <bob...@gmail.com>, MXLXTXV / / <mxl...@gmail.com>, scott pickering <Scottpi...@att.net>, Robin Robinson <finding...@yahoo.com>, GARY WILLIAMS <willia...@gmail.com>, Daniel Temelkoff <dteme...@me.com>, ben ballard <Benjamin...@gmail.com>
Cc: Bob McNulty <bmcnu...@gmail.com>, Andrew Kaletta <Andrew...@gmail.com>, Brian Horsburgh <Bri...@britewinter.com>, Mariah Becker <mar...@britewinter.com>

Dear Fantastic DayGlo Artists and Exhibitors!

Please find below and attached the floor plan and site map with important information for your Brite Winter 2017 Mulberry's DayGlo Experience!  Please read the whole email!

ALL PARTICIPANTS -- GENERAL INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY:
  1. Load in: You can load in between 9 am and 12 pm Saturday. The space is labeled as VENUE: MULBERRY'S on the attached site map: 2316 Mulberry Ave, Cleveland, OH 44113.

    You can pull up to unload anything you need to, then park in artist parking and come back to finish setting up. On Saturday, your car must be moved to the artist lot by 1:30 pm.

  2. Attached Site Map: In addition to helping you navigate the site, the attached map is your parking pass. Keep it with you to be let into the Artist lot, and also to bring your car around for load up at the end of the night.

  3. Venue Map: Labeled Mulberry's Plan, shows where on the 1st floor of Mulberry's you'll be.

  4. Sound, Light during the event: Exhibitors, see below. It could be loud. It will be weird lighting (colored/blacklight). Please plan accordingly and bring small clip lights, extension cords and ear plugs if desired.

  5. Exhibitor De-install: This space is open until 1 am. Exhibitors (Nelson, Bob McT, Spin Art) are encouraged top stay till then, but are allowed to tidy their items up in the space at 8 pm to go enjoy the fest. You can also carry items to your car. HOWEVER, you can pull your car around ONLY when security and police determine it's safe after the main Fest grounds close at 11 pm. Please follow their instructions; they will direct you appropriately.

  6. Live Painter De-Install: We will plan to take down the ART PANELS ONLY (not the studs) on Saturday Night starting at 1 am (ok, so technically Sunday)If you have a cordless drill, please bring it. We will send some help your way. If we can get them all down and stacked, you will not be required for de-install Sunday morning (YAY!). I'll bring foam to lay between the pieces. We will number them so the painting can later be re-assembled. We'll want to stop painting heavy swaths of paint by 11 pm, and fine linework by 12 am so it is dry.

LIVE PAINTING TEAM -- INSTALLATION DETAILS FOR FRIDAY:

Team Build: Led by John K and Nelson M, begins Friday 2/17 and 9 am in Mulberry's

Artists Join Friday @ 10 am and stay until your painting space is built, finished and primed how you want it, unless you've already told me about a specific conflict. We have the room until that night; let's make use of it (without burning ourselves out for the next day!)

Daniel, Ben, and Bob McTrusty: if you are able to join on Friday and bring your cordless drills and chargers, your help would be amazing any time after 10 am and before about 2 or 3 pm Friday. Lots of screwing.

All lumber for this will be dropped by 9 am Friday immediately outside the roll-up door into the space.

LIVE PAINTING TEAM -- PAINTING DETAILS FOR SATURDAY:

Paint: I'll be providing 7 colors of dayglo paint for the live painting, as well as black and white. We should have more than enough paint (it covers about 400 sq ft/gallon, and we've got about 800 square feet) but please use respectfully, as the DayGlo paint is very expensive. it also tends to look best applied somewhat thinly and evenly. Using at least some colors straight, rather than mixing, will provide the most Pop.

Lighting: we'll have a mix of blacklights and conventional/colored. It's hard to know exactly what the painting environment will feel like to artists at work, so it's not a bad idea to consider bringing a small worklight/cliplight and extension cord.

Brushes: Per earlier conversation, you'll need to provide your own rags, your favorite brushes, rollers, pallets, and any other tool you want. I'll have a small supply of back-up items, including water containers, but please plan accordingly and have these by Friday.

Sound: you guys are near the stage. For the most part, the PA/speakers will be in FRONT of you, so it should not be terrible, but again, I'm not sure what it will feel like to you. You might consider cheap ear plugs from Home Depot.

Audience Participation: Be prepared to direct audiences how and where to interact with your painting. If you don't want to stop painting every to minutes to explain, I recommend some "please paint in the bubbles" or "please paint in the fish" signs. I'll have cute flourescent paper to tape up as signage, so it's not left on the finished work. Or you can create your own strategy. But know some rogue strokes will likely occur. It's part of the beauty. :-)

Photos: Please take lots of In Progress Photos! We'll try to send the photog's your way, but if you share these with us after the fest, it will help us tag you and spread the word about your work.

THANKS ALL for making through such a long, dense email. Please get in touch (text is great) if anything is unclear: 440-479-2077!

Emily Appelbaum
Art Director  |  Brite Cleveland

www.britewinter.com  |  @britewinter

Brite Winter 2017 is February 18th in the Flats!

Want to help build Brite?!?
Join us at Cleveland's Newest Creative Collaborative Work Space: 5401 Hamilton Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44114

Enter at the 53rd Street Gate immediately north of Hamilton Avenue on the righthand (east) side of the street. Drive all the way back to the large green roll up door (Dock 6). Follow Signs.

Workshops as Follows:

Saturday, January 21 12-4 pm Prismatic Parasols with Antidote Creativity
Thursday, January 26 6-8 pm KaLightoscope Krafting with Negative Space

Saturday, January 28 12-4 pm Totally Tubular with Hildebrandt Artist Collective
Thursday, February 2 6-8 pm Resplendent Pennants with Sankofa Fine Art Plus

Saturday, February 4 12-4 pm Board and Funders Friends and Family! Dia de Muertos Ohio Decorations Come Alive!
Thursday, February 9 6-8 pm: Big Art Bash: Bring All Your Friends

Artist+Vendor Load-in+Parking - 2017.02.11 2017 Brite Winter.pdf