Fw: Bee Informed Partnership Sentinel Apiary Project

jeanne hansen

Apr 29, 2016, 2:43:36 PM4/29/16
to Madbees Madbees
Have you heard about this program?  Does any one want to participate?  See below

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen

Apr 29, 2016, 3:26:25 PM4/29/16
to madbees, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
No thanks.  To rich for my blood.  After their rebate of $300 and buying the least expensive scale they approve, it costs $600 just to get into the program.

Not only do you have to buy a $500-600 scale (broodminder scale will be less than half that cost!), but you have to participate in their "Disease monitoring program" which costs an astonishing additional $400 for 6 months!!!    What do you get for the $400 disease monitoring you ask?  You send them bee's and they (U of Maryland) tell you how much Varroa and Nosema you have....that's it.  No tracheal mites, no foulbrood, no viruses...just Varroa and nosema.

I'm not saying they're getting rich of it as it must cost a decent amount of time and postage to do this testing, but I can do an alcohol wash for pennies and buy a $350 microscope to do Nosema testing if it really is a concern.

~Matt