Lifeboat in yard

hamish

May 18, 2013, 3:50:03 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How would the members feel to have a large orange water blimp in the
yard for a month
http://www.maritimejournal.com/__data/assets/image/0008/158741/mj20040601_87.jpg

Am thinking about getting one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoTxNrfHDJw&NR=1&feature=endscreen to
covert into a live-in open media centre. They vary from 7-9m in length
and have seating (like sardines) for 30-60 people.

Proposed mission at Hackspace would be to:

* remove most of the seats to open the space up
* paint it so it wasn�t bright orange (need a good weeks dry weather to
do this)
* put in some very basic live in space, bed, table etc.
* fit some basic solar panels, battery�s etc.
* steam punk it up a bit.

This would be done wombling style if anyone wont's to help.

They are fresh off oil rigs so should be in working condition with all
survival gear in them. Am going up to Scotland to have a look (and maybe
buy) end of the week.

Then put it on the river lee/canal to do the rest of the fitting out
over the summer on the Lee. Other option is in to the lee and do the
fitting out on water if hackspace doesn�t wont it - but hard to paint it
so would stay bright orange!

Hamish (long time Hackspace member - though away a lot)

Sam Kelly

May 18, 2013, 3:53:02 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an awesome project, modulo the space it would take up in the yard - what does that convert to in terms of number of parking spaces we'd lose?

Happy to help out with things if we do decide we can fit it in.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM, hamish <ham...@visionon.tv> wrote:
[...]

Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Clare Greenhalgh

May 18, 2013, 4:02:19 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a little too large for the car park - it is for cars and smaller projects like the caravan and the gumball rally car occupy a space each, and this would, I think, take up rather a number!.

It sounds interesting, but having the space is excellent for other smaller moving projects too, and we do rather like it...

On 18 May 2013 20:50, hamish <ham...@visionon.tv> wrote:
[...]

Martin (Crypt)

May 18, 2013, 4:08:14 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I think its a great project.  would be fine to have it there for a while as long as we can plan for a space for it to go that will leave space for other projects and parking and as long as we can be sure it would be removed in good time

Charlie Grosvenor

May 18, 2013, 4:18:57 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How much do they cost?

Charlie

tom

May 18, 2013, 4:36:33 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes!

Only thing I'd worry about is where you're going to ditch the gutted innards, there's no skip anymore

Billy

May 18, 2013, 4:50:27 PM5/18/13
to London Hackspace

Have a chat with Jose.

He's done rebuilds on his boat and others. He'll be able to tell you
some of the pitfalls.

Nigel Worsley

May 18, 2013, 5:08:29 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think this would be a great project to have at the space, but we
already have 5 others using the car park so it would probably have to
wait until a few of those are finished.

If you want crew to help get it down to London then I am interested,
but probably couldn't get enough time off work for the whole trip.

> paint it so it wasn’t bright orange

If the condition is anything like the ones on a support ship that I
occasionally work on then it will need a LOT of prep work before there
is any chance of paint sticking to it for longer than the next rain
storm.

> steam punk it up a bit.

Or alternatively give it a paint job that makes it look like the head
of a giant dinosaur style sea monster, the shape is about right!

Finally, don't underestimate the cost of getting it out of the water
and transported to the space. It may well turn out cheaper to pay the
storage cost at the boatyard than have it moved out and back.

Nigle

cromiumlake

May 18, 2013, 6:06:02 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice project, I rebuilding a lifeboat myself this days. Definitely not easy working on it on winter.
I will glad of giving you a hand or pointing you out if I can, or at least you can see from my experience what not to do hahahha
About the car park, I don't think that we will loose much space on the car park, roughly it should be about 10x2 meters. I guess that have people working on a caravan, a boat, rally car etc brings variety and life to the space....and  is not much in use anyway

Good luck hamish

tgreer

May 18, 2013, 7:47:35 PM5/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have no objections to this other than we already have in the yard:

1 x Caravan
1x Car

The list has also given permission for us to store a trailer mast in the car park, which will take up a bay or two...

If this can be slotted in then great, but I think the list needs to be aware of the current state of play of the yard...

Charles Yarnold

May 18, 2013, 7:53:15 PM5/18/13
to Hackspace Mailing List
On 19 May 2013 00:47, tgreer <ukt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I have no objections to this other than we already have in the yard:

1 x Caravan
1x Car

Also:

2 x soapbox racers
1 x large spaceship glowy led thing

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 4:31:07 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It costs 5.5K and then around £500 to deliver - will just about clean out my bank account (:

hamish

cromiumlake

May 19, 2013, 4:52:54 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Congrats....u are getting a nice toy :)

Philip McGaw

May 19, 2013, 4:53:05 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Putting in the river or canal will require insurance, boat safety certificate. And a licence from either the EA or CaRT.

Please please do not assume that you can get a mooring for free any where you like. And observe the conditions of the licence.

Kind Regards

Philip McGaw

--

07969 502 077 || phi...@mcgaw.eu || CV: http://philipmcgaw.co.uk/cv/ || LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/philipmcgaw

On 18 May 2013, at 20:50, hamish <ham...@visionon.tv> wrote:

Then put it on the river lee/canal to do the rest of the fitting out over the summer on the Lee. Other option is in to the lee and do the fitting out on water if hackspace doesn’t wont it - but hard to paint it so would stay bright orange!

cromiumlake

May 19, 2013, 4:57:43 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Insurance you get them for under a £100
Boat Safety certificate I know who issues them and is under £100

And a licence from either the EA or CaRT??? what is this, I dont have one
Also you need one from canal and river trust

Philip McGaw

May 19, 2013, 5:10:38 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
CaRT == Canal and River Trust.

Tim Storey

May 19, 2013, 5:19:59 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jose,

I need a new safety cert. could you pass me the contact details of the safety cert person you know.

Ta

\t

Sent by shouting very, very loud

On 19 May 2013, at 09:57, cromiumlake <cromi...@gmail.com> wrote:

David Murphy

May 19, 2013, 5:20:15 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
from your description I'm guessing this will take 3 or 4 parking spaces so really big.

It sounds like a really cool project though and I'd love to see it at the hackspace so I suggest you make sure you have as many of the supplies needed for the change there and ready to go before you get it at all and make sure you'll be free for as much of the month as possible.

given the hugeness of it I'd also suggest the time limit for when it will be gone be a hard limit.

Henry Sands

May 19, 2013, 5:29:07 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
it sounds like an ultra cool project, it also sounds like something that will take a long time and generate a lot of waste, personally I'm against it unless a detailed plan is laid out to manage the junk it generates as well as the time/space it will take.

hamish campbell

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 5:39:43 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thats a good point, what are the rubbish disposal situation for the building? ideas for this - people might want to reuse some of the stuff?

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 5:41:50 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
lets look at the space in the yard, I am a bit worried the truck might not get through the gate (:

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 5:42:42 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What lifeboat are you working on?

Henry Sands

May 19, 2013, 5:57:14 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
rubbish disposal for large bulky items basically involves hiring a skip at the moment, costs about 200-250 a pop.

you might want to look into mooring permissions/fees before you bring it to the space, just so we know its got somewhere to go afterwards.

Morris

May 19, 2013, 6:02:27 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm sure it will work out fine.

Morris

May 19, 2013, 6:07:29 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Such a cool project and waste wouldn't be an issue as described. Especially nice to hear you will add solar to it, continuing your off grid experimentation Hamish.

tgreer

May 19, 2013, 6:11:07 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You're not taking into consideration the space it'll take up in the carpark... Nor the issues with removing it from the carpark when it becomes time.

Sam Kelly

May 19, 2013, 6:11:17 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The seats inside are your basic one-piece moulding, I'm assuming? Maybe we could make comfy covers for (some of) them and use them in the space.
--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Henry Sands

May 19, 2013, 6:22:08 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What's your basis on saying waste wouldn't be an issue? The only bins we have currently are those for domestic waste, any large, bulky items needs to be disposed of individually, I imagine if you're ripping out all the seating and internals that's going to be about half a skipfull.

Not that I'm saying don't go for it, I'm just saying plan ahead carefully.

pad...@padski.co.uk

May 19, 2013, 6:23:35 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Could you explain what the upside of this is for the Hackspace?
I'm struggling to get past thinking 'free drydock required for houseboat'. Sorry for being an old cynic. Being bright orange is pretty awesome but it is huge and looks like it would take up at least 4 car spaces, not to mention probably requiring a crane to move, and a proper cradle. I would be very concerned about anything in the carpark which is so big, and so difficult to remove or dismantle should it be necessary.

Paddy

It costs 5.5K and then around £500 to deliver - will just about clean out my bank account (:

hamish

On Saturday, 18 May 2013 21:18:57 UTC+1, Charlie Grosvenor wrote:
How much do they cost?

Charlie

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 6:31:22 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Research so far on liveaboard in the UK

Costs involved:

BSS costs (4 years) £150

insurance (1 year) £120

Gold licence, all rivers and canals (1y) £643 (less for only rivers or canals)

Red diesel Propulsion is about 0.75ppl (need to update this)

Licence initially would be continues cruising - Optional cost Mooring £1000-5000 (1y)

Here is the law on continues cruising – you can stay for two weeks in many spots.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/633.pdf

Here is the width of canals - Red and blue are good for the lifeboat size wise - Gray likely not.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

Bout/Bridge height will also be an issue – I need to look into.

Monty

wyan std

May 19, 2013, 6:57:47 AM5/19/13
to london-hack-space
How about having a hard dead line and putting in escrow however much it'd cost the space to remove it from the car park should it not be finished on time, plus skipping costs for the waste?

Tom Sands

Charles Yarnold

May 19, 2013, 7:13:07 AM5/19/13
to Hackspace Mailing List

I agree with Paddy on this one.

Martin (Crypt)

May 19, 2013, 7:21:05 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think the main concerns center around what happens if it doesn't get moved in time.  Is there any way we can guarentee it gets moved at the agreed time? and how would people want to go about this?

I agree its a huge thing to have there, but it does sound like a cool project, so would be a shame to dismiss it straight away

Philip McGaw

May 19, 2013, 7:15:38 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Red diesel Propulsion is about 0.75ppl (need to update this)

Heating diesel is 75p per letter if you buy it cheap.

We pay £1 per litre. 80/20. (120 litres bought two weeks ago)

If your not using diesel for heating / electricity even more!

Gold licence, all rivers and canals (1y) £643 (less for only rivers or canals)

How long is this thing in feet?

I assume it is not 6'10" wide.

What is the draft, and air draft of this?

Optional cost Mooring £1000-5000 (1y)

Closer to £2500 + per year. More nearer London. Have you spoken to a boat yard / marina? They have waiting lists. And are able to say no if they think your craft is not in keeping. (Also if your going to be a live aboard in a marina. They may want council tax).

Here is the law on continues cruising – you can stay for two weeks in many spots - http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/633.pdf

That is an over simplification. And given the SE mooring consultation that is currently being out through by Sally Ash of CaRT. May be subject to huge changes.

cromiumlake

May 19, 2013, 7:25:47 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sure Tim, Catch me on the space and I'll give it to you.

hamish campbell

May 19, 2013, 7:49:46 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Would be happy to put the removal/skip costs in escrow account if this is how the member feel - as need to spend them anyway. Maybe some other projects in the space might chip in for the skip?

Am still working on transport and lifting - if people would like to see what one of these looks like the is the biggest version of the lifeboats currently moored next to the bridge down the road at the end of the market. The one am thinking of will likely be smaller than this one!!

This project depends on me viewing the boats in Scotland and then the feeling for the work involved from seeing the inside of the different boats. Might feel its too much work to get it done. Am off to Scotland at the end of the week (;

What does it bring to the Hackspace?

* its a feel good sexy geeky recycling project

* think the will be many interesting ideas and some practical help and resources from the members.

* in use it will be used as a open-media space at green/social/political events (were the is water access nearby) http://visionon.tv non-profit social change/good.

* its HUGE and orange and looks like a spaceship and built like a tank what more do I need to say to geeks!

It might be too big an object for the site? But it seems to me to fit into the hacker ethos of the space. Its in hackspace for a limited time. Have budgeted to buy it, get it to London, do basic emptying out, inshore it, licence it and get it into the water.

Clare Greenhalgh

May 19, 2013, 7:58:26 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you can submit it with a plan (and the finance available to remove the boat at the end of the time you have the space booked for, as well as the skip organised) then it would be easier to think about. It will take up around a third of the car park, and we need to see where it would fit best so you can work on it but it also does not get in the way...

Having all the space in the car park is such an advantage in comparison to arguing about parking in the old space.

If you could be 100% sure it will be in the car park for a maximum of a month, and provide dates when it will be delivered and removed then we can look at it properly, otherwise it sounds like a large boat that will be put into the car park for a length of time (which we now have a very dubious view of things ever getting taken away!).

I think it sounds really interesting though...

Peter "Sci" Turpin

May 19, 2013, 11:14:07 AM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's a cool idea, and the escrow idea removes the liability issue for
the object itself. Can we fit it though?

The fence with the other half of the building has proven that things get
vandalised through it, which led to the caravan being moved to the other
side of the car-park.
If this lifeboat goes on the same side of the carpark as the caravan,
it's going to take up the rest of the space down to the fence with the road.
In a support cradle it also looks like it'll be taller than the *wall*
with the garage. It's going to make it a spectacularly easy entry-point
to the carpark. Unless it's placed a reasonable distance from the wall
and fence, which exacerbates the usable space it'll take up.

So I have to withhold judgement until we know exactly what it's
dimensions will be including it's necessary support cradle and
surrounding access space.

Temporary responsible use of the car-park space is something to be
encouraged, likewise is bringing new fields of interest and experience
to the space. We're not a fixed set of disciplines; in an ideal world a
hackspace is somewhere you can go to make anything.

If we have a financial guarantee it can be removed and a fixed
time-limit then the only concerns are if it will take up space that's
needed by more members or if it will be dangerous in some way.

So, we need to know the sizes to know if it will intrude on space that's
otherwise needed, and if it's size will produce an access hazard or
security hole.

On 18/05/2013 20:50, hamish wrote:
> How would the members feel to have a large orange water blimp in the
> yard for a month
> http://www.maritimejournal.com/__data/assets/image/0008/158741/mj20040601_87.jpg
>

> Am thinking about getting one of these
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoTxNrfHDJw&NR=1&feature=endscreen to
> covert into a live-in open media centre. They vary from 7-9m in length
> and have seating (like sardines) for 30-60 people.
>
> Proposed mission at Hackspace would be to:
>
> * remove most of the seats to open the space up
> * paint it so it wasn�t bright orange (need a good weeks dry weather to
> do this)
> * put in some very basic live in space, bed, table etc.
> * fit some basic solar panels, battery�s etc.
> * steam punk it up a bit.
>
> This would be done wombling style if anyone wont's to help.
>
> They are fresh off oil rigs so should be in working condition with all
> survival gear in them. Am going up to Scotland to have a look (and maybe
> buy) end of the week.
>
> Then put it on the river lee/canal to do the rest of the fitting out
> over the summer on the Lee. Other option is in to the lee and do the
> fitting out on water if hackspace doesn�t wont it - but hard to paint it
> so would stay bright orange!

Penguin

May 19, 2013, 3:58:33 PM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/8503/south_dock_marina_mooring_price_list_2013

My suggestion would be that you put it on the hard at South dock

Between 5 and 8 pounds a week per metre.

They have a crame and cradling. Lots of like minded and experienced boaties to interrupt you with helpful suggestions.

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 19, 2013, 5:25:04 PM5/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I am very concerned that this project is simply too big to be comfortably
accommodated in the carpark. Adding in the space needed for a skip to
collect the debris from the works makes it even more so.

Phil
--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

hamishcampbell

May 24, 2013, 8:07:10 PM5/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the Interesting discussion. After much research on transport the truck doesn't have a crane for off loading so hackspace is saved from the big orange monster. Strait into the water on the Lee it is... more info http://hamishcampbell.com/home/-/blogs/lifeboat-to-liveaboard-conversion

Jim Hayes

May 24, 2013, 8:16:56 PM5/24/13
to London Hack Space
How much are you expecting to pay to buy one and have it transported to London, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks!

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM, hamishcampbell <in...@visionon.tv> wrote:

Thanks for the Interesting discussion. After much research on transport the truck doesn't have a crane for off loading so hackspace is saved from the big orange monster. Strait into the water on the Lee it is... more info http://hamishcampbell.com/home/-/blogs/lifeboat-to-liveaboard-conversion

Ben Huss

Jul 19, 2013, 3:24:27 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hamish (and other boaters). I'm currently at the (very) early stages of putting a proposal together for land in east London which also backs on to the canal.

The space consists of a warehouse, yard and mooring spaces.
I want to use the yard for permaculture projects, and have been thinking of setting up community mooring. It potentiality could turn into another hackspace but with a focus on eco/tech fusion projects. Your lifeboat project would be the very kind of project we would welcome.

Wren Montgomery

Jul 19, 2013, 4:23:26 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ben

Do you have more details about the moorings, eg current state of the license, size limitations and access limitations?

Wren

Ben Huss

Jul 19, 2013, 4:54:54 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wren. It hasn't been used for moorings for a long time and I will have to survey the space to see how shallow it is and if it is in need of dredging.

I plan to approach CRT for water rental licensing at a later date once everything else is in place as I know how difficult they can sometimes be.

Ben Huss

Jul 19, 2013, 5:05:33 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I met the woman who set up mooring opposite the towpath in Paddington and she has offered guidance on the legal process. I am also meeting with CHUG for suggestions on operating communal moorings. The space isn't huge but may fit 3 medium sized narrow boats.

Wren Montgomery

Jul 19, 2013, 5:25:40 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah, too small for me then.

Good luck -- do be sure it's CaRT and not PLA.  there are several hotly disputed areas in East London.

You may also want to talk to the guys at Cody Dock if you haven't already, which has about a million identities...

http://spacehive.com/codydock

http://www.gasworksdock.org.uk/

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Ben Huss <benth...@gmail.com> wrote:
I met the woman who set up mooring opposite the towpath in Paddington and she has offered guidance on the legal process. I am also meeting with CHUG for suggestions on operating communal moorings. The space isn't huge but may fit 3 medium sized narrow boats.

Felix Hornoiu

Jul 19, 2013, 9:19:03 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I agree, a great project.

It will bring diversity to the Hackspace.

I like to go over the limits of an URBAN visions.

Maybe when you finnish this ship you can make a trip for a cause, get a sponsorship and many GoPros and i can help you with editing and brand presence.

Cheers,
F.

Billy

Jul 19, 2013, 11:36:12 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Two weekends ago i was walking home from a post-gig party, when i came across Hamish's boat.

It's very orange.....

Ben Huss

Jul 19, 2013, 11:46:19 AM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've seen it too, unless there is more than one lifeboat about. My girlfriend wants one painted pink!

Aden

Jul 19, 2013, 12:07:23 PM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it next to roman road? I saw one there.
> "London Hackspace" group.

Ben Huss

Jul 19, 2013, 12:38:01 PM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have the hull of a topper sail boat which I'm currently using as a row boat. I could bring it in if anyone has some fun ideas how to hack it.

Jonty Wareing

Jul 19, 2013, 2:22:44 PM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I spotted it over that way on Wednesday night:

http://twitpic.com/d30vwf

--jonty

Elliot West

Jul 19, 2013, 2:48:01 PM7/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks HOT - both the aesthetic and temperature