Not Jumbotron - but LED Screen

Tom Mudd

Jan 9, 2012, 6:58:47 AM1/9/12
to London Hackspace
Hi there.

While the offer for more Jumbotron parts still stands, I have another
donation of big screen goodies that might interest folks...

Anyone noticed Piccadilly Circus has a new screen ?

Well - I have some sections of the old screen to donate to Hackspace
(if they're wanted)

This is discrete LED RGB screen technology - not the CRT technology of
the Jumbotron modules.

The tiles are actually from a Lighthouse R16 type LED Screen however
these were specially shaped to fit the "curve section" of the
Piccadilly screen.

Also - whereas the Jumbotron had no control circuits / systems, this
LED does.

There's enough PSUs , VPC, EMB cards to actually get meaningful stuff
on the screen.

Can I bring a pile over this afternoon ?

(and please feel free to tell me to sod off if you're getting
overloading with my old donations)

Cheers

Tom

tom

Jan 9, 2012, 7:03:48 AM1/9/12
to London Hackspace
GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

WANT

Jonty Wareing

Jan 9, 2012, 7:11:02 AM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Right, this NEEDS to go on the balcony. NEEDS TO.

--jonty

Charles Yarnold

Jan 9, 2012, 7:15:12 AM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Jonty Wareing
YES!

tom

Jan 9, 2012, 7:38:39 AM1/9/12
to London Hackspace
or to save on planning problems: in the kitchen windows :)

Martin Klang

Jan 9, 2012, 7:53:07 AM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

wv!

/m

Tom Mudd

Jan 9, 2012, 7:58:40 AM1/9/12
to London Hackspace
I'll take that as a positive then ?

Anybody around this afternoon between 3 and 4 to help me unload ?

There's approximately a car boot full of the stuff.

Tom

marc - HackTheMedia

Jan 9, 2012, 1:07:09 PM1/9/12
to London Hackspace
Tom Mudd has just brought us old Coca-Cola LED/screens from Picadilly
Circus, now replaced by
a new one for the Olympics (thanks Tom!).
They're working quite well as we tested earlier. You'll find here
videos and specs below

Videos with description (unlisted on youtube, only people with these
links can see them):
DESCRIPTION > http://youtu.be/kPo-YdZM-Vo
TEST1> http://youtu.be/gTOD2rR2cSI
TEST2> http://youtu.be/NaJ-kayR6AI

Description by tom:
"LED RGB screen technology - not the CRT technology of
the Jumbotron modules from Lighthouse R16 type LED Screen however,
specially shaped to fit the "curve section" of the
Piccadilly screen, with control circuits.
There's enough PSUs , VPC, EMB cards to actually get meaningful stuff
on the screen."

Specs (by Sam):
3x control doors (run 4 beams)
+ test door (wood)
6x beams
1x red box of replacement LED panels (16x16)
1x card box of PSUs, replacements cards & fuck knows what

Also call out:
The Jumbotron units have been here for ages and people interested
should grab them now otherwise
we propose to put them in the bin soon-ish as they're taking quite
some space:
5x Jumbotron units
1x box of PSU's
<<<<<<<<<<<<

cheers

Tim Storey

Jan 9, 2012, 1:19:36 PM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
exiting, thank you very much all involved...

\t

Sam Cook

Jan 9, 2012, 2:36:26 PM1/9/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
For those that want a quick run down the systems seem to work well, we managed to get two modules running off the test door using the test patterns off the EMB (Environment mangement board, i.e. the middle one). Some of the LED panels will need checking and/or fixing to get them fully working but it looks like all we need to do is sort out either a serial input for the front of the chain or our own input to the EMB

Tom Mudd

Jan 10, 2012, 10:53:11 AM1/10/12
to London Hackspace
oh - btw - I think it was Tom who asked...

If you want to light up the old Jumbotron modules (the CRT ones not
the LED bits) then set the address selector on the back to 99

Just FYI

Cheers

Tom

On Jan 9, 7:36 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those that want a quick run down the systems seem to work well, we
> managed to get two modules running off the test door using the test
> patterns off the EMB (Environment mangement board, i.e. the middle one).
> Some of the LED panels will need checking and/or fixing to get them fully
> working but it looks like all we need to do is sort out either a serial
> input for the front of the chain or our own input to the EMB

Tom Mudd

Jan 14, 2012, 10:51:13 AM1/14/12
to London Hackspace
Dear all.

The final collection of Piccadilly Circus LED is now deposited in
Hackspace.

Please note, Adam Page specifically asked for a couple of units to be
put to one side... The rest though is yours to hack as you please.

Unlike the Jumbotron parts - that's all folks. There is no more.

Have fun !

Send me the youtube links when Hackspace is all a'glow.

Tom

Mike Harrison

Jan 14, 2012, 12:01:13 PM1/14/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've been going through the tech info - the VPC Tech manual looks like the most interesting, as it
describes both the parallel RGB data going into it, if you want use it, and the data coming out, if
you don't.

Tim Richardson

Jan 14, 2012, 4:29:50 PM1/14/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It just so happens I was looking for something like this to put in a little town square (new addington).

Whats the progress with the modules? Does anyone know how to send them a signal yet?

The idea was just display text on them, but images would be great too?

mistamudd

Dec 22, 2015, 9:32:22 AM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
Hello folks.

Tom - your occasional LED screen poster here.

Anybody interested in any more LED screen tiles ?

We've just had to write-off an entire screen due to a bad batch of red LED wafers. Consequently, we've got approximately 50 or so SMD LED video tiles - free to a good home.

Rough Specs:

LEDs Per Pixel 1R1G1B
Red Wavelength (Dominant) 625 ~ 630
Green Wavelength (Dominant) 520 ~ 525
Blue Wavelenghth (Dominant) 470 ~ 475
PIXELS
Pixel Confi guration SMD 3528
LED Type Black Diamond
LEDs Per Area LEDs/m2 67,635
Physical Pixel Pitch mm 6.66

Physical Pixels Per Area pixels/m2 22,545
Panel:

LED Tile Width mm 320
LED Tile Height mm 120
Viewing Angle – Horizontal degrees 140
Viewing Angle - Vertical degrees 120

The 'tile' contains the matrix of SMDs and the driver ICs and multiplexing to run them,  It does not contain any PSU or scancard / controller card.

You'll need 5v dc and some kind of Pi / Arduino / Nova or Linsn Scancard to run them.

Any takers ?

Lee Jones

Dec 22, 2015, 9:38:08 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes Please!

I would love to take these off your hands.

Sent from my iPhone

Nigel Worsley

Dec 22, 2015, 9:38:27 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Shiny!

What format does the data have to be in?

Could definitely find a use for some of these.

Nigle

Toby Catlin

Dec 22, 2015, 9:41:07 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
They look super fun, would you be willing to post some to Norwich. I'll pay all costs of course.

Nigel Worsley

Dec 22, 2015, 9:42:38 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> LED Tile Height mm 120

Shouldn't that be 240mm?

Nigle

Matt Peperell

Dec 22, 2015, 10:20:01 AM12/22/15
to LHS
Yes please, I'd be interested in one (perhaps two if there are enough)

Aden

Dec 22, 2015, 10:25:05 AM12/22/15
to london-hack-space
I wouldn't mind one or more please... I'm guessing the best approach here is probably just bring them to the space and let people take what they need... I don't think they'll be hanging around too long.

Henry Sands

Dec 22, 2015, 10:48:59 AM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
would be nice to have a big wall display at the hackspace.

Matt Wheeler

Dec 22, 2015, 11:07:23 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes I would be interested in a few of these (perhaps 4) :)

Thanks

On 22 December 2015 at 14:32, mistamudd <mist...@gmail.com> wrote:

Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at

Andrea Campanella

Dec 22, 2015, 11:10:04 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would love to have 4 as well :D
Andrea "emuboy" Campanella

Egor Kraev

Dec 22, 2015, 11:18:55 AM12/22/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I would love a couple as well - thanks!
Unfortunately I'm out of the country till Jan - any chance someone could grab some for me? Thanks a lot!
E.

Mike

Dec 22, 2015, 12:12:14 PM12/22/15
On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 04:09:58PM +0000, Andrea Campanella wrote:
> I would love to have 4 as well :D

I too would be interested in four or so, depending on the demand others
show.

Thanks,
Mike.
signature.asc

Pingless

Dec 22, 2015, 12:43:51 PM12/22/15
to London Hackspace, hack...@norgie.net
I would love to take between 2 and 4 off your hands if they're going.

Thanks,
Paul

asc

Dec 22, 2015, 3:58:41 PM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
Yes please! I'd really like 2 if possible.

James Cadman

Dec 22, 2015, 6:17:31 PM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 if there's any left :)

James.

Henry Best

Dec 22, 2015, 6:45:46 PM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
If there are any left, I'd like two please.

Jasper Wallace

Dec 22, 2015, 7:01:54 PM12/22/15
to London Hackspace
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015, Henry Sands wrote:

> would be nice to have a big wall display at the hackspace.

Yes, getting 9 for the space giving us a 3x3 grid would be nice(?).

Before we all get too excited could we have more info about driving them?

Refresh rate, if they have on board ram, bits per channel, wire protocol
etc, etc, etc...

Do you have a make and model number? Datasheet? Alibaba page?

at least a close up picture of the connector(s) would be nice.
> --

[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Tom Mudd

Dec 23, 2015, 10:18:04 AM12/23/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks.

Let me see if I can get one of the old driver boxes that you can reverse engineer (pin outs etc)

Im not back in the warehouse until 1st week of Jan.   Let me grab a car load then to run up to London (&Norwich and Brighton)

What's the address of the new hackspace now ?  (sorry - its been a year or two since hoxton)

Merry Chrimbo everyone.

Tom

Toby Catlin

Dec 23, 2015, 10:22:34 AM12/23/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Amazing. Are you planning on visiting Norwich? We are growing our six month old hackspace and Neopixels have been a firm favorite so far. There will be a ton of interest in these panels.

thanks
toby

Martin Goodman

Dec 28, 2015, 1:02:01 PM12/28/15
to London Hackspace
I would definitely be interested in 2 or more.

Martin

mistamudd

Jan 4, 2016, 11:09:18 AM1/4/16
to London Hackspace
Hi folks.

OK - car loaded with LED tiles.

Can I drop them off to the Hackspace tomorrow am ?

Could somebody get back to me with a contact number and address please ?

As you'll see from the photo, I managed to find 1 old frame too (a frame holds 6 tiles and is the building block of big screens)

I'm also guessing there'll be a flurry of emails asking for pin-outs / signal types etc.  While I don't have this (easily) available, I do have 1 old PSU / Controller box that I can donate.

I've seen the way you folks work so I know I don't even have to ask if somebody can reverse engineer the pin-outs / signals etc :-)

BTW - If you did want to get some of these *really* up and running as a screen, you'll need a card called a Scancard.  (the brains found inside each and every LED panel) . >   http://www.led-card.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=314

The signal that goes into the Scancard on Cat5 cable needs to come from a Sender Card  > http://www.led-card.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=15.   The signal that goes into a Sender card is good ol' DVI from your laptop. Simples!

(just in case you were planning on building your own LED screen @ hackspace)
2016-01-04 15.25.21.jpg

Mark Steward

Jan 4, 2016, 11:11:43 AM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would people object to keeping the frame and enough screens for the benefit of the space? It would avoid having to drive round to Imperial every year or so to borrow back our old Piccadilly sign and remind them that it belongs to us.

Mark

Ian Macdonald

Jan 4, 2016, 11:14:49 AM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I feel all donations should be for HS use first and anything left up
for grabs for individuals.

Marrold

Jan 4, 2016, 11:21:38 AM1/4/16
to London Hackspace

Would people object to keeping the frame and enough screens for the benefit of the space? It would avoid having to drive round to Imperial every year or so to borrow back our old Piccadilly sign and remind them that it belongs to us.

I think this is the best idea. I'd like to see some of the screens used in the space, and leaving the case / controller would be a good reference for other people using the boards.

Giant pong / tetris anyone?

Adrian Godwin

Jan 4, 2016, 12:21:25 PM1/4/16
to london-hack-space
Given how little use we've made of the previous board, I think I'd like to see a group of volunteers willing to work on a space installation before we start storing pieces of it.

Thinking it would be neat isn't enough. Someone has to want  / have time to do it.

Mark Steward

Jan 4, 2016, 12:26:46 PM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We can't easily make use of the previous board without the bits that Imperial are "borrowing".

Mark

Tim Reynolds

Jan 4, 2016, 12:28:05 PM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is the demo PCB we had back in the space yet? Phil was re-housing it
last I heard.
> <mailto:london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> --

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 4, 2016, 7:47:33 PM1/4/16
to London Hackspace
Suspect they've all gone now but it would be nice to have some that can be borrowed for projects as, with the greatest will in the world, I'm sure we all have plenty of things that we get hold of but they may not actually be used—so those that miss out can still benefit. :)

I'm actually building some similar of my own, although they take a while to build.

Marc Barto

Jan 5, 2016, 7:10:35 AM1/5/16
to London Hackspace
Tom just arrived to unload the LED tiles (thanks Tom).

They are for now by the shelves near the shutter. We need to decide whether this is for a LED wall for the space (which would be nice) or if the tiles go to individual members. I will put a DNH request while this is discussed.

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 5, 2016, 7:39:08 AM1/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A wall of LEDs would be amazing...I'd totally be up for putting together something that people could interact with in the space. :)

Henry Best

Jan 5, 2016, 12:46:18 PM1/5/16
to London Hackspace
Agreed, but where is there sufficient wall space?

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 5, 2016, 3:05:11 PM1/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Can be movable! Or foldable! There are always solutions. :)

Marrold

Jan 5, 2016, 3:41:16 PM1/5/16
to London Hackspace
I don't know the exact dimensions but a quick glance around suggests it could go above the Classroom door in the main area, in the class room itself, or perhaps over the Sofa Corner if some smaller items are relocated. It could also go above the Electronics area if the Sixteen Digit display is broken as suggested and no longer required.

Saying that, it looks like it could be heavy so you might need a structural engineer to perform a survey first ;)

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 5, 2016, 3:45:22 PM1/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

It'd be fun to set it up so you could send text or bitmaps to it, via an API or something maybe.

Marrold

Jan 5, 2016, 3:57:38 PM1/5/16
to London Hackspace

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 8:45:22 PM UTC, Elisabeth Anderson wrote:

It'd be fun to set it up so you could send text or bitmaps to it, via an API or something maybe.

I am already terrified at the thought of what some members will be showing on the screen, especially if it can be done by IRC...

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 5, 2016, 6:43:21 PM1/5/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Can be thought about. :)

Henry Best

Jan 5, 2016, 9:38:55 PM1/5/16
to London Hackspace
<Dirty old man mode>
And often is.
</>

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 23:43:21 UTC, Elisabeth Anderson wrote:

Can be thought about. :)

Pingless

Jan 7, 2016, 3:49:06 PM1/7/16
to London Hackspace
What's the status of this? As mentioned before I'd love to take a few tiles, but if the LHS wants them then of course the community comes first.

Marc Barto

Jan 8, 2016, 1:32:15 PM1/8/16
to London Hackspace
So we have 3 scenarios for these tiles:
- the space keeps everything for a big LED wall (but someone needs to volunteer to run this project)
- the space keeps only the frame and a few screens, and the rest goes to members
- All tiles go to individual members

It would be great to have a decision asap on this as they're taking quite some space at the moment.

Aden

Jan 8, 2016, 2:22:49 PM1/8/16
to london-hack-space
I vote - the space keeps only the frame and a few screens, and the rest goes to members.
Getting a few screens working for the space is possible, getting them all working in a big wall is probably beyond what is likely to happen in the space.

Marrold

Jan 8, 2016, 2:35:12 PM1/8/16
to London Hackspace
I don't actually want any of the tiles as I wouldn't know how to use them, so I'm fairly neutral on the subject. My take on it is this-
  • The person who kindly donated them (mistamudd) isn't a Hackspace member, they were donated to the Hackspace for whatever purpose the space see fit, so it's up to the members to decide how they are distributed.
  • Distributing the tiles is outside of the trustees remit, so whatever solution to distributing them needs to be consensus led.
  • A few people (myself included) have requested some are installed in the space. This requires the following-
a) Someone (or several people) with the technical knowledge to get them working.
b) Resources (Financing and Time) to get the project off the ground
c) Somewhere to put it

With regards to (a) I'd be willing to contribute manual, unskilled labor if required. With regards to (b) I'd contribute to a pledge for additional parts if required.
  • Whether or not some are installed in the space, the remaining tiles need to be distributed fairly and quickly, or as Aden has pointed out they will quickly go missing.
Taking the above into account, I propose-
  • The frame (populated with LED tiles) and any controllers / PSU's are 'reserved' for the space for a period of X weeks, to give time for people to step forward willing to take on the project.
  • The remaining tiles are counted up.
  • A Wiki page is created with a 'slot' per tile, similar to laser cutter training.
  • Members wanting tiles put their name on a slot on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Once all tiles are allocated, or if there isn't demand for all of the tiles, members go to the space to collect the tiles.

If there's no objections, step 1 is to count up the tiles. I won't be at the space until Sunday, but if no one has been able to count them up by then I don't mind doing it. step 2 is to create the Wiki page, mail the mailing list and go from there.

In the meantime until a viable solution is thought up, I'd request that the tiles are not removed from the space, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Tim Reynolds

Jan 8, 2016, 2:46:12 PM1/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've installed a few LED walls. I'm familiar with the cards that the OP mentioned using to drive them. I don't have much time arm but if there any any specs or model/part numbers that can be harvested I'll take a look.

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 8, 2016, 3:29:28 PM1/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've got some skillz so happy to be part of a 'team' to get some running. :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.

Martin Goodman

Jan 9, 2016, 10:07:29 AM1/9/16
to London Hackspace
I would agree with Marrold's proposal of keeping the populated frame and any associated hardware/electronics in the space.  Then putting the remaining tiles up for grabs.

It would be a big project to make a video wall out of all the tiles in the space.  Then there is the issue of where to put it!  I think the single frame is a more manageable project to have in the space.

This is a link to the manufacturers page.  At least I think this is the right model.

Also a PDF:

Doesn't really give much information, but has some pictures showing the assembled frame.

Regards,

Martin

Marrold

Jan 9, 2016, 10:51:35 AM1/9/16
to London Hackspace
Hi Martin,

I can confirm the picture of the frame matches what I've seen in the space, including the 'infiniled' controller / PSU thing.

There's some details on the previous batch that were donated here - https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/Piccadilly_circus_LED_sign

There's also been some talk of an existing controller that was 'borrowed' by Imperial College. I don't know if it's important to get this back before anyone can progress the project, hopefully someone can get by without it as it sounds like it might be a pain to get it back.

Cheers

Marc Barto

Jan 10, 2016, 6:11:06 AM1/10/16
to London Hackspace
Good to see we're approaching a consensus >  the space keeps the frame and controller/psu.
I'd recommend for the space to also keep a few extra screens in case of issue with the frame or if we want to make the installation bigger.

Regarding individual tiles, I just had a look and we have 46 tiles (the tiles are bubble-wrapped in pairs so I haven't opened all the packages but that should be the count).

I've created this wiki page here using the info collected. Add you name if you want a tile or can give a hand setting up the screens in the space.

I should add I don't want any tiles as I wouldn't know where to put them!

Marrold

Jan 10, 2016, 6:53:14 AM1/10/16
to London Hackspace
Cheers for spending some time on this Marc.

It's probably best if we set some kind of deadline for names before the tiles are distributed, shall we say a week for the tiles and 2 weeks for anyone willing to take on the project for the space? I'm in the space later so I will try and find a home for the frame and put up a sign directing people to the Mailing List  / Wiki if there isn't one already.

Cheers

Lee Jones

Jan 10, 2016, 7:59:05 AM1/10/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick query,

Not so keen on posting my phone number or email directly on the Wiki.

So have just put my name on.
I suppose I will just have to keep an eye on this thread and the wiki for when (if the tiles do go to members).

Any issues with this? Or an alternative solution?

Regards,

Lee

Sent from my iPhone

Marc Barto

Jan 10, 2016, 8:29:45 AM1/10/16
to London Hackspace
Following suggestions: I've added on the wiki page the members who said on this thread they wanted a tile, also added a deadline.

Not so keen on posting my phone number or email directly on the Wiki.
Sure, just keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Philip Roy

Jan 10, 2016, 8:34:54 AM1/10/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's OK, we already know your email (l**@p*****x.c**)
Phil
-
Seek ye the truth and the truth shall make ye free
-

Lee Jones

Jan 10, 2016, 8:45:05 AM1/10/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Perfect :)

Thanks.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone

Marrold

Jan 11, 2016, 8:34:27 AM1/11/16
to London Hackspace
As an FYI, 32 tiles have been requested on the Wiki so far, so there's approximately 8 remaining.

Paddy Duncan

Jan 11, 2016, 8:37:58 AM1/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Does this account for the space having a frameful?

Marrold

Jan 11, 2016, 8:44:15 AM1/11/16
to London Hackspace
Marc mentioned there were 46 in total, I don't know if that included the ones in the frame. So we can probably assume there's at least 40 available, however as they're wrapped in pairs in bubble wrap I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the bubble wrap packages is +/- 1

Paddy Duncan

Jan 11, 2016, 8:45:03 AM1/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sorry yes just read wiki

Andrea Campanella

Jan 11, 2016, 9:04:23 AM1/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would like to drop my interest in them , shall I edit the wiki?

--
Andrea "emuboy" Campanella

Marc Barto

Jan 11, 2016, 9:08:36 AM1/11/16
to London Hackspace
You're already on the list (number 8) as I copied names from this thread :)
> https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/LED_tiles

Andrea Campanella

Jan 11, 2016, 9:19:13 AM1/11/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I didn't explained my self properly , I'm not interested in the LED's anymore...

--
Andrea "emuboy" Campanella

Giac0m0

Jan 11, 2016, 11:54:44 AM1/11/16
to London Hackspace
Assuming we all get the two tiles we're after, is there any interest in getting together to order physical bits kit to make these work with a Pi or Arduino?

Marc Barto

Jan 12, 2016, 6:26:40 AM1/12/16
to London Hackspace
Good idea Giacomo :)

Regarding the LED frame and controller, ideally we'd need a project maintainer so we could add this as equipment for the space and make sure this is actually set up, would any of the members who mentioned their interest up for this (Tim, Elisabeth...)?
Message has been deleted

Marrold

Jan 12, 2016, 5:09:02 PM1/12/16
to London Hackspace
I've had a count up of the names on the Wiki and assuming there are 40 available they're now all spoken for, Stefan has added his name today if he takes 2 that takes us to 41 which may be slightly over.

We originally said the 16th as the deadline but as they're all spoken for now, I personally don't see the point in waiting until then and the EGM tomorrow might be a convenient time for people to pick them up.

Any objections?

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 12, 2016, 6:01:45 PM1/12/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I actually would be interested. :)

tim_n

Jan 13, 2016, 5:07:46 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
I would be wary of just letting people take them, unless you want a repeat of the laptop incident.  As soon as someone sees somebody else taking them, they may just help themselves and you'll find them disappearing in dribs and drabs.  Then the space won't have theirs...

Marrold

Jan 13, 2016, 5:17:17 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
Valid point, but there's no secure storage and there's no one there 24/7 to hand them out, so I don't have a solution.

Perhaps some one will volunteer, but I think any attempt to control distribution will make it take even longer and ultimately they're taking up room.

I'm in the space tonight, I could move the bits for the space to another area (and submit a storage request) ?

Marc Barto

Jan 13, 2016, 6:17:28 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
I don't mind stopping the allocation of tiles now, note that if we want to be fair to all we also have to take into account that some posters on this thread also wanted more than one tile. Which would leave the total at 43 (if we limit to 2 tiles per member to be fair).

So we'd be missing 3, but since we have 6 spares on top of the big LED frame, we could allocate 3 tiles more to the members unless objections. If that works for everyone I can come to the space in the afternoon and put stickers with members names so they can collect them tonight.

Also if some of the early posters changed their mind and want only 1 tile please let us know.

Btw thank Elisabeth for putting you name forward to help set up the board, I've added you name on the wiki, feel free to update/change details there.

asc

Jan 13, 2016, 9:30:22 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
I'd rather that they do get allocated today, the hike in to the LHS is somewhat problematic for me. Since I'm already heading in for just the EGM it would be convenient to pickup at the same time.

I'm happy to label things up tonight with Marrold if it helps.

Giacomo Giacomo

Jan 13, 2016, 9:36:58 AM1/13/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather the allocation happened today, as I'm coming in for the EGM and would like to pick up.

On 13 January 2016 at 14:30, asc <asc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd rather that they do get allocated today, the hike in to the LHS is somewhat problematic for me.  Since I'm already heading in for just the EGM it would be convenient to pickup at the same time.

I'm happy to label things up tonight with Marrold if it helps.

Marrold

Jan 13, 2016, 9:58:14 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
I think picking them up today is probably sensible. Marc suggested users that requested 2 or 4 take 2 so everyone can get one.

If people stick to the plan we should be fine.

Marc Barto

Jan 13, 2016, 10:03:25 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
All right then, if I arrive early enough I'll try to put some stickers on the tiles to make sure they get to their owners

Tim Reynolds

Jan 13, 2016, 10:13:52 AM1/13/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to have to withdraw my offer of help if we're just going to be
left with the dregs.
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Adrian Godwin

Jan 13, 2016, 10:18:06 AM1/13/16
to london-hack-space
If you want the space to have a *much* bigger display, require that everyone who takes tiles demonstrates what they've done with them within 3 months or return them.

I think you'll get at least half of  them back.

Marc Barto

Jan 13, 2016, 11:03:10 AM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
Tim, it would have helped to state this a bit earlier when we debated how many screens to keep. Personally I think the space takes priority so if you and Elisabeth need more screens you need to tell us how many.

Tim Reynolds

Jan 13, 2016, 12:13:32 PM1/13/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I offered my help when I understood this to be a hackspace project to
make a cool thing for the space. Given that the wiki currently lists ONE
person as interested in helping maintain the hackspace screen and TWENTY
FOUR as taking tiles away for their own use I clearly misunderstood. I
thought it was going to be a case of building a screen and seeing what
was left over to divvy up.
> <javascript:>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
>

> --

Kimball Johnson

Jan 13, 2016, 12:17:15 PM1/13/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I would like to help you make a cool thing for the space, but I fear I
am a bit busy until the Summer, so had not wanted to commit to it :(

Kimball
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.

Marc Barto

Jan 13, 2016, 12:31:34 PM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
Yes lots of members said here that they'd love a wall of screens but didn't actually volunteer; we went with consensus as there was a risk of tiles going walkies and no clear drive from a team of volunteers. We can limit the tiles to one per member while you (and Elisabeth) assess the number of screens needed if that works?

Marrold

Jan 13, 2016, 3:30:27 PM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
The frame + screens has been moved from the pile, hopefully to a safe location?

Marc Barto

Jan 13, 2016, 3:52:28 PM1/13/16
to London Hackspace
Yes they were move downstairs to separate them from the tiles for members. They will need to be listed as space equipment with a separate DNH. I'll update the list on that, happy to chat if you're in the space now.

Giacomo Giacomo

Jan 14, 2016, 4:28:47 AM1/14/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc - after our chat last night, I totally forgot to claim my screen.  Just in case you're wondering why I didn't update the page on the wiki.

Marc Barto

Jan 14, 2016, 4:49:36 AM1/14/16
to London Hackspace
Tks for letting us know Giacomo :)

Had also a chat last night with Tim to look at the controller and screens specs for a LED wall, he's going to update the list shortly on this and we'll have a separate storage request as it will be part of the space equipment. While we figure out how many screens are needed for the installation in the space, it would be best if members could collect only 1 tile each for now and the screens leftover will be announced here. Please cross out your name from the list and wiki once you've taken yours.

Michael Margolis

Jan 14, 2016, 6:35:05 AM1/14/16
to London Hackspace
I have done some quick testing and it looks like the tiles can be driven using the Teensy 3.x and the SmartMatrix Library.

https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix

The SmartMatrix software will need some tweaking to get the display synced correctly, but it is close to working out of the box.

Adafruit have a shield for the teensy with a connector that should work with these tiles : https://www.adafruit.com/products/1902

I have made something similar, mine does not have the SD card but does  support WiFi using the ESP8266. The eagle files are attached.

I have a few spare blank PCBs, email me with an offer  if you want one.

Marc, feel free to add any of this to the wiki

Michael
LedMatrixPCB.jpg
led test.jpg
SmartMatrixMy protoboardOrder.sch
SmartMatrixMy protoboardOrder.brd

Elisabeth Anderson

Jan 14, 2016, 7:09:45 AM1/14/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for this, yes it's be great of we could have the number of screens in the frame plus some contingency for non-functional components for the main space frame.

Sorry, I would have come in but I have flu at the moment but will pop in next week for a project kick off. :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.

Stefan Sabo

Jan 14, 2016, 7:43:34 AM1/14/16
to London Hackspace
I took one piece (for now, as instructed) and will see, if will be possible take another one later, depend what happens with idea about LED walls...

Thanks..

mistamudd

Jan 15, 2016, 4:04:34 AM1/15/16
to London Hackspace
Hi folks.

We found 1 more metal frame stashed at the back of the warehouse .  Its just the metalwork but would hold a 2 x 3 tile array if anybody wants it.

Cheers

Tom

Marc Barto

Jan 16, 2016, 6:52:02 AM1/16/16
to London Hackspace
I've added stickers to the individual tiles, there are 13 left on the list, don't forget to update the wiki after you've taken yours.

Jasper Wallace

Jan 16, 2016, 3:15:22 PM1/16/16
to london-hack-space
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Adrian Godwin wrote:

> If you want the space to have a *much* bigger display, require that
> everyone who takes tiles demonstrates what they've done with them within
> 3 months or return them.
>
> I think you'll get at least half of  them back.

I think so too, I've updated the wiki with:

"If you've not done anything with the screen after 3 months please bring
them back to the space as someone else may wish to do something with
them, don't just let them gather dust in a corner somewhere!"
--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]
It is loading more messages.