Photon 3D Scanner for the Space

Skip to the first unread message

Marc

3 Apr 2013, 09:34:5903/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all

There is an interesting Photon 3D scanner project on Indiegogo and Hipster and I are keen to start a pledge drive to have it at the space.
With shipping to UK, price will be about £350, most likely less, the difference will be given as donation to the space.

All info here:

If more members are interested we'll start a pledge drive.

thanks

tom

3 Apr 2013, 09:37:4603/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
$350 for a stepper, laser line and webcam? I'm clearly in the wrong job

Nigel Worsley

3 Apr 2013, 09:49:5803/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> With shipping to UK, price will be about £350, most likely less

I rather doubt it. If you take their estimate of shipping cost to California and add
VAT and the usual rip-off handling charge it comes to £345, but it will definitely
cost more than that to the UK. I would have thought £360 - £370 would be nearer
the mark. And then there is the currency conversion cost, probably adding another
£5 - £10.

Nigle

tom

3 Apr 2013, 10:01:4903/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, nig...@googlemail.com
Also dont we have a 3d scanner that is basically the same as this? I know the software is "mac only" but I'm sure it can be made to work with something else

Filthy hipster scum

3 Apr 2013, 10:10:0503/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, nig...@googlemail.com
The scanner we have at the moment is truely dreadful. Its a specific version of mac only and have to have x-code to work, it is also very light dependant and rarely give a clean scan. Where as the one me and marc found is plug-n-play. I've pledged £25 for it.

Ian Lewis

3 Apr 2013, 11:06:5703/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, nig...@googlemail.com
ill go in for £25

ian

Ian Henderson

3 Apr 2013, 14:53:1603/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks good

£25 from me as well

Ian

CorpoWombat

4 Apr 2013, 06:49:3904/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Pledge £25.

Mark Steward

4 Apr 2013, 06:55:2004/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there's demand - can we get the standard wiki page[1] set up, to stop the metoo's?

Mark

Chris von Csefalvay

4 Apr 2013, 07:00:3304/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok, setting up pledge page.

CorpoWombat

4 Apr 2013, 07:18:5404/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Folks

Pledge page has been set up here: http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/3D_Scanner

Enjoy and give generously.

Marc

4 Apr 2013, 07:36:3004/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
thanks Chris for setting up the wiki page, I was just about to do it myself.
I just heard back from the Indiegogo guy, says shipping will be about C$80, I will update the price.

Unless objections I will add the names of people who pledged here to the wiki page.

Marc

5 Apr 2013, 06:34:5105/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Update: the Indiegogo campaign is getting really (too) successful, and the 1st batch of 200 scanners is sold out.
They have now created a 2nd batch but now price is up: from C$399 to C$449. And delivery will be September. Not sure this is still worth it though I have
no doubt they will sell every scanner.

Chris von Csefalvay

5 Apr 2013, 13:39:0605/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Seriously? £32 is not that much a difference - a little more then one pledgor.

Ulisses Pinto

5 Apr 2013, 14:46:2205/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I suppose the issue was not just the price - people might not want to wait till September.

Ian Lewis

6 Apr 2013, 10:55:1706/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com
If the fabscan we got is limited to Mac software and people would prefer this, i would up my pledge to 100 and take the fabscan in exchange??

Please forgive typos, sent from my iPhone

On 6 Apr 2013, at 15:18, Ndlovu <m...@deanforbes.com> wrote:

I must be honest, am not sure what I would use it for but think it would find a use and is a cool bit of kit to have avilible

all we need is another 8-9 people at 25 quid a go to reach target or 3 to be close to 250

if we reach 250 I will up my pledge to 40 and challenge other pleger to do like wise :-)

 http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledges/3D_Scanner

Ian Henderson

6 Apr 2013, 11:40:5206/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure whether the Fabscan was a gift or a loan?

The intention was that it would stay in the space and hopefully users would contribute to software development

Necati

8 Apr 2013, 18:12:2008/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I pledged £25 and updated the wiki page. I think this would be good to attract new members.

Necati

Marc Barto

9 Apr 2013, 05:45:4609/04/2013
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see there is still a strong interest for this pledge. We are now at £215 for a target of £374.
Note that out of the 200 scanners of the batch #2 set up 4 days ago, half have been sold, which means we don't have a lot of time before this offer runs out.

James Geddes

6 Nov 2014, 07:04:1106/11/2014
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Am I right in thinking that this has lost steam? It would be great to have a 3D scanner in the space. With the exchange rate as is, the price is currently £376.23 including shipping but excluding import charges.

This is probably one of the cheaper tools that we are after - if only 10 people were to pledge just £13, we could get it!

Thanks all,

Beverly Wells

6 Nov 2014, 07:29:3306/11/2014
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can a non member pledge some money?

Francis.

Tom Hodder

6 Nov 2014, 13:45:5706/11/2014
On 6 November 2014 12:29, Beverly Wells <askbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can a non member pledge some money?

I don't think anyone can stop you making a donation via a bank transfer with the correct REF code ;-)

but you would have to get a member to operate it. (I am guessing, if it was acnode equipment, that required member training status for the tool)

Cheers,
Tom

Tom Hodder

6 Nov 2014, 13:47:2506/11/2014
On 6 November 2014 12:04, James Geddes <j...@geekzone.org.uk> wrote:

This is probably one of the cheaper tools that we are after - if only 10 people were to pledge just £13, we could get it!

I'd pledge 13GBP