get Kuliax 8.0 RC

oui

Sep 28, 2008, 7:09:04 AM9/28/08
to Kuliax Project
Hi

You will perhaps remember that I did have a great interest for and use
Kuliax 6.0 for a long time as it did appear (1st and 2d version). And
I did help a little to translate some text in foreign languages in the
wiki.

In the intermediate time, I did never see a possibility of download
for Kuliax 7.0 and did use for this reason other distributions.

But I look from time to time here and in the wiki to see if it is
possible to "re"join again the Kuliax community. And I did see today
an announcement of Kuliax 8.0 RC but see no mirror having it to
download. What is to do to get Kuliax 8.0 RC (1) or (1) and (2)?

But in one of the mirror, I did find by searching for Kuliax 8.0 RC my
actual prefered distribution on an Indonesian mirror! As this
distribution is only starting her activity since a short time, I think
it is really very well.

It is there:

ftp://ftp.brawijaya.ac.id/linux/slitaz

SliTaz is a project a little different from Kuliax.

Excepted the usage of

- Java JRE
- Flash plugin 9.0
- Skype 2.0

(but I suppose it is not possible and not reasonable don't to accept
this 3 concessions!)

it is, as Kuliax, 100 % FOSS !

SliTaz is completely open with an exact documentation to build it from
scratch without great problem and is a project completely in
collaboration in all levels, based on a commun Mercurial depository
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial_(software) -Indonesian
translation for this page missing!-) for all participants, dokuwiki as
Kuliax and a PunBB forum.

SliTaz is an innovation:

- probably the first real full working (X with high resolution,
network, sound, keyboard options for a lot of languages, Gparted,
Firefox 3.0, yes, but Firefox only in the Cooking version at the main
depository, etc.) miniature and full extensible fast (works in RAM!)
liveCD Linux with only 25 Mbyte (!) at start in the basic version (as
downloadable from ftp.brawijaya.ac.id )
- easy rebuild with the flavour's technology (your own extended choice
of supplementary applications)
- probably the first distribution able to start completely over the
web or network only with a little start program on FD or check card CD
(but, it is really experimental at this time: I did need last week
more than one hour to download the 25 Mbyte and start it from Null)
- full very detailled specific documentation (in French but the Google
translation in English is often really usable and you find help in an
the active forum)
- both Xvesa and X.org as you want or need
- complete development tools, or Wine 1.0, or Java JRE, etc.
installable with one click in a comfortable graphical package
- immediate /home on USB-storage if you start with the adequate start
option
- upgrade of full installed SliTaz (for example for developpers)
without destruction of /home !
- initially Debian based

Slitaz is of course not a competitor for such complete distribution as
Kuliax using complete compatible packages and depositories with Debian
(because of the reduced scope of basic software, SliTaz needs adapted
packages with selected libraries etc.): it is not possible to do the
same with 25 Mbyte as with 700 Mbyte or 2 x 700 Mbyte! But I can
suppose that SliTaz can be in the future a sort of "motor" to create
new complete working environments as Kuliax. Please look for it under
consideration of this point of view!

Please don't forget to tell me, where I can download Kuliax 8.0 RC (or
buy a complete CD-Rom or both)!

Thank you very much

Kind regard

Narpati Pradana

Oct 1, 2008, 10:22:10 AM10/1/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oui..

I also put Kuliax 8.0 RC in Ajangkita (crush.dreamhost.com in US)

http://www.ajangkita.com/kuliax/kuliax-8.0rc/
--
help thy brother, just or unjust

Iwan Setiawan

Oct 2, 2008, 7:08:36 PM10/2/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 01 October 2008 21:22:10 Narpati Pradana wrote:

> I also put Kuliax 8.0 RC in Ajangkita (crush.dreamhost.com in US)
>
> http://www.ajangkita.com/kuliax/kuliax-8.0rc/

For all of you,

Please read this thread, in Bahasa, before downloading or complaining ;-)
http://groups.google.com/group/kuliax-devel/browse_thread/thread/585ab78a800546f3

This release is just devel version, it's not "user version". See the
word "test".

8.0RC0-test is a devel-release for testing the new live framework based-on
debian-live. The base system uses Debian “testing“ and most of package
selection CD #1 (http://kuliax.org/roadmap/8.0/apps#cd_1).

I warn you, this release doesn't have artwork touch. It just plain version of
Kuliax and there is no installer. The image provided is for USB disk, so
you must have one with 1 GB space to test this system. Read
http://kuliax.org/doc/test_devel (in Bahasa) for more detail testing steps.

Thank you oui, kunderemp, and all who always support the development of Kuliax
by at least using it (update/install packages from debian repo, etc. and still
have kuliax as a 'base'), write logs, and spread the word.

Yes, your suggestions are processed into our considerations :-)

--
As I'm sure you're all aware, being experts in userland programming, that
the above obviously cannot work and is totally bogus.

- Russell King on linux-kernel