Permissioning

Chris Lacey

Mar 30, 2015, 10:30:31 AM3/30/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

We have created a number of surveys on a single account, and then used the Permissions options under Project Settings in an attempt to restrict access to specific user accounts.

However, it seems that these permissions are not enforced, in that any user can see all available surveys if they fill in the correct URL into KoBoCollect, regardless of permission; and that even users only with "Can View" permissions can edit and delete survey responses.

Are these permissions fully fleshed out, and can they be relied upon at present?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris.

Tino Kreutzer

Mar 31, 2015, 6:27:05 AM3/31/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris,

By default any user with the URL to your account can submit responses unless you've enforced authentication in your project settings. To turn this on go to project settings and check the box 'require phone authentication' (we're renaming it to "Require authentication to see forms and submit data"). When this is set you will need to set the username and password in the Collect settings before you can download the forms and submit to them.

Thanks for pointing this out the Can View bug. It's working properly in the table view where editing instances is not possible. I'm guessing you saw this option in the map view where these buttons are visible. This will be fixed in the next few days.

Best,
Tino

Chris Lacey

Mar 31, 2015, 6:31:18 AM3/31/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tino!

I was completely unaware of the "Require Phone Authentication" option, but have ticked it now!

Very much appreciated,

Chris.

Chris Lacey

Apr 14, 2015, 8:34:01 AM4/14/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com, ch...@cslacey.co.uk
Hi again,

Having ticked the "Require Phone Authentication" box, I can't get KoBoCollect to get beyond the authentication box when clicking "Get Blank Form"

Username and password are correct, but do I have to set permissions somewhere for the user to be able to query the available blank forms?

Thanks,

Chris.

Tino Kreutzer

Apr 14, 2015, 1:17:35 PM4/14/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
When you open Get Blank Form it should then ask you to enter your username and password each time you want to download new forms. You could avoid this step by entering your credentials permanently in Collect's 'General Settings'.

What happens when you enter your username and password into the "Sever requires authentication" box and click OK? It should show you your deployed forms as usual, and allow you to download the ones you selected. Please send a screenshot or description of what you see instead.

Best,
Tino

Chris Lacey

Apr 15, 2015, 10:56:27 AM4/15/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply, Tino.

I have indeed entered my username and password into the Options box within KoboCollect, but am still prompted to enter the credentials upon download - which then aren't accepted.

Which users will have rights to show the list of available forms?  Will all the users who have edit or view or submit-to rights for a project see that projected listed?

Best wishes,

Chris.

Tino Kreutzer

Apr 15, 2015, 11:35:36 AM4/15/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

The standard use case is that the owner's username is used in both the URL and for the username credentials. Have you maybe entered the address in the URL with a trailing slash? That would prevent you from authenticating. (Good: https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/[username] Not good: https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/[username]/

If you want someone else to use their credentials you need to give them 'can submit to' permissions. "Can view" or "Can edit" do not have submission rights on their own. (But you can give a user multiple permissions, such as "Can submit to" and "Can edit".) In this case they will enter the following in KoBoCollect's General Settings:

Username: [username_other_user]
Password: [password_other_user]

Best,
Tino

--
Tino Kreutzer
Program Manager KoBoToolbox

Oliver Fritz

Oct 21, 2016, 3:25:05 AM10/21/16
to Kobo Users
Hi Tino,

I have the same problem as Chris. I have entered the right URL just as you described in your last post. I have given the appropriate permissions to all other relevant users. But as soon as the survey owner has ticked the "require authentication" box, no user (not even the owner himself) can get the blank form or submit the form via KoBoCollect. I tried to enter different user's names and PW (including the owner's) in the general settings, however, I am always prompted to enter the credentials when trying to download/upload the form, and even when entering the right credentials then, access is denied.

Best,
Oliver