repeating yes no

Karen mc donnell

Sep 19, 2016, 4:41:36 AM9/19/16
to Kobo Users
Hi All

I have attached a screen shot, when I upload I get yes no options repeating over and over again.

Survey is:

select_one yes_no floodprone Is the site flood prone?

Choices is:
yes_no floodprone Yes
yes_no floodprone No

Can anyone tell me why this would be happening?

Thanks

repeating.png

ronald munjoma

Sep 19, 2016, 4:56:08 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen.

Are you able to share your XLSFORM or xml file?

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma
+263 775 625 283

Karen mc donnell

Sep 19, 2016, 4:58:36 AM9/19/16
to Kobo Users
Hi Ronald

I've attached it there now.

thanks!

On 19 September 2016 at 00:41, Karen mc donnell <karen.iren...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All

I have attached a screen shot, when I upload I get yes no options repeating over and over again.

Survey is:

select_one yes_no floodprone Is the site flood prone?

Choices is:
yes_no floodprone Yes
yes_no floodprone No

Can anyone tell me why this would be happening?

Thanks

HPP baseline Myanmar.xlsx

ronald munjoma

Sep 19, 2016, 5:22:17 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen

I have quickly reviewed your XLSFORM you are duplicating the choices in the choices list.

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

Karen mc donnell

Sep 19, 2016, 5:27:32 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ronald

I can't see anything specifying this issue in this particular resource?
I will move some things around in my choices sheet and see what happens!

Thanks

Karen

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM, ronald munjoma <sim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Karen

I have quickly reviewed your XLSFORM you are duplicating the choices in the choices list.

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Whenever I catch sight of others, By thinking, "It is through them,
That I will reach awakening," I'll look with sincerity and love.

- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

ronald munjoma

Sep 19, 2016, 5:39:55 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen.

Please take a look at - http://xlsform.org/

I can be available for a skype or Google hangout.

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Karen mc donnell

Sep 19, 2016, 6:38:19 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ronald

Thanks, I've been using that website for some time, I can't see why some of my select one is repeating when the others aren't and they are set up the same.

When you say they are duplicated in the choices sheet what do you mean by this?

Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM, ronald munjoma <sim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Karen.

Please take a look at - http://xlsform.org/

I can be available for a skype or Google hangout.

Best and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Vinck, Patrick

Sep 19, 2016, 7:10:24 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Karen,

In your xforms, you are using the same listname multiple times (yes_no). The listname is what is used to create the list of options in your form.

You also have an error in the "name" column. The name is the value associated with the choice. I know it is confusing but we inherited  the nomenclature. This means that you should not have the same "name" used under the same listname.

So in your case, it should look like this:
Listname  Name  Label
Yes_no      0          No
Yes_no      1           Yes

Note that I like using numerical values as names but you can use text too.

Generally, I would recommend creating a form in the form builder if you are not familiar with xls forms. You can always download the xls and edit later.

Sent from my Phone

Sep 19, 2016, 7:16:21 AM9/19/16
to Kobo Users
Hi Karen,

You are not uniquely defining the list_name across select one questions. This name should be unique across questions and not across choices.
Say you have
q1 as question of select_one then the list_name in choices sheet should be yes_no_q1 - yes and yes_no_q1 - no
And for q2 you should use yes_no_q2 - yes and yes_no_q2 - no

I have attached the short version of your file. Just take a look at it.

Regards,
Amar

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 4:08:19 PM UTC+5:30, Karen mc donnell wrote:
[...]

Karen mc donnell

Sep 19, 2016, 8:15:58 AM9/19/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
This is very clear! thank you Amar, very helpful

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.