Collect in a browser offline

Carlos Rivas

Oct 24, 2013, 11:00:01 AM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all, I am new at Kobo (like 10 hours new!) and I read most of the posts and glad to learn from others.

My approach in using Kobo, considering my team´s limitation (and hesitation maybe) to use Android devices for step 3, will include:
  1. - Build forms in Koboform Designer (online)
  2. - Save as xml file
  3. - Collect data in a browser (more like jotform), PurcForms might be a solution, but I am not that tech literate to use it, also VM ODK could be a solution
  4. - Data processed in stand alone PostProcessing to output CSV.
  5. - Output variables and labels to SPSS
  6. - (Haven´t try yet, but it seems that won´t work) Import variables and labels to PSPP
  7. - Import CSV to PSPP
  8. - Continue with statistics paradise.... (not sure if paradise is the right question) and GIS paradise (that I agreed, since I am very familiar with that...I use Quantum GIS)

I need help in the step 3, how to create the forms from koboformbuilder... to an html (jotform/wuffo/monkeysurvey like) page that stores data offline

The above applies to my office work, I do teach courses, and for the new course on how to collect field data and analyze with Qgis, I certainly will teach how to use Android´s KoboCollect to simplify my life and of my students!

Best regards from Nicaragua and thanks in advance for your attention and help

Carlos Rivas S.

Tino Kreutzer

Oct 24, 2013, 12:18:19 PM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,
If I understand your question correctly you want to build a form that can be used in a browser rather than on an Android phone? All KoBo tools are currently only supporting the Android approach (through KoBoCollect, an app that you can install on your phone or tablet). What are your team's reservations for collecting data on Android?

Tino

Carlos Rivas

Oct 24, 2013, 12:28:45 PM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Tino.. you "atinaste" which in spanish means "got the point", I want to give my team a web based form solution, rather than android.... mostly because we have a very short deadline to present results, the study is nation relevant and they are afraid of using new technology... also we don´t have so many android devices. All I need is to avoid errors when introducing data, Our forms will go to the field in paper unfortunately, people in the field will be more "afraid" to use the new technology than this team for data input.

Data input now is done directly to spss, and that (along with database design) was an issue in previous study, so we want to get rid of this error when inputting data from paper based surveys, I know we should be reducing errors directly from the field, but.. one step at a time ...

If I can give them a practical solution ... they will do this new study the old way, directly to spss .... or I will have to start creating an Excel preformatted datasheet (which I don´t want to do it).

Thanks for your rapid response.

Carlos R.

Tino Kreutzer

Oct 24, 2013, 12:39:27 PM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,
It seems that what you need is just a transcription interface for once your data collection (on paper apparently) has been done. One way to do this would be to enter the data faithfully into electronic format directly by your staff, and then flag incorrect data entry during the conversion into a standardized SPSS format afterwards (which will require data cleaning at this step). This is the "old-fashioned" way practiced for decades. Why do you want this to be a web based solution if it's just about local data entry?

If you wanted to allow data entry only of permitted values (thereby ignoring responses made on paper if they don't fit your data types) then there are software solutions for that as well (including SPSS and Excel). If you wanted, you could also do the transcription into KoBoCollect at this stage if you want to have even more restrictions based on logic, though the speed will certainly be lower than doing it in a spreadsheet format.

All that said, your staff seems to require a primer of why electronic data collection is faster, cheaper, and more reliable than paper. There are many resources out there that prove that in more detail.

Cheers,
Tino

Carlos Rivas

Oct 24, 2013, 1:25:18 PM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Muchas gracias Tino!
Thank you very much Tino, I will propose to use KoboCollect once the paper surveys are filled. We have budget limitations so we can´t buy android devices, that is one of the main reasons also.
Best regards....
Carlos Rivas.

Martijn van de Rijdt

Oct 24, 2013, 4:35:35 PM10/24/13
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Carlos,

This is a shameless plug, but have a look at https://enketo.org too. It's a web-based offline-enabled data entry client that works with ODK Aggregate.

Just a word of caution though, we have just discovered some incompatibilities with forms that were built with KoboForm (so in the near future you'd be better of using a different form builder if Enketo is the right solution for you). In the future KoBo and Enketo tools should become better compatible.

Cheers,
Martijn