Develop Joomla CMS Component vs Joomla Framework App questions

Facundo Lafuente Diaz

Aug 12, 2016, 4:36:19 PM8/12/16
to Joomla! Framework Development

I need to do a 'component' this component uses Joomla! com_users to login and then connect a external db the use a form for sql updates.

In first time I install Joomla! and develop a custom component (not using fabrik because I cant do CroosDB JOINS) but i feel Im not doing the things the best way.

  1. I only use com_users for Joomla CMS
  2. I don't need any articles, modules, categories, templates, etc
  3. I don't need to install other any extensions

My app only uses com_users for login and connect then in other external db updates

My questions:

**Why i should use Joomla CMS if nothing (except com_users) is useful for me?

Can I use Joomla Framework and then "copy" com_users and use it?

I'm right when I say that my best option is to develop the "component" directly on Joomla Framework?**

I already install Joomla Framework (an hour ago) but i can't find enough documentation

Hope this question is for this section

BR

Johan Janssens

Aug 12, 2016, 6:46:45 PM8/12/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Hello Facundo,

Happy to help you.

Short answer, if you need to use com_users you will need to use the Joomla CMS. The framework is not an option you cannot run the users component in the framework, it's not build that way. See also my reply here on the different between the Joomla CMS and Framework: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla-dev-framework/RINZRTwGrHo/1dKjJPddAQAJ

If you do not with to drag along all the Joomla functionality for your solution you could consider using our Joomlatools Platform. (https://www.joomlatools.com/developer/platform/) The platform is a modern and slimmed down version of Joomla (based on 3.3 release). Fore more info see: https://www.joomlatools.com/developer/blog/2015/11/introducing-joomlatools-platform/

Finally, if you are not doing so, also check out our Joomlatools Vagrant Box for local Joomla development. Comes packed with tools to help you be more productive as a developer. You can find more info here: https://www.joomlatools.com/developer/tools/vagrant/

If you have more questions happy to assist!

Happy coding!

Johan

Cook Self Service

Aug 13, 2016, 4:23:05 AM8/13/16
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
And if you want to create all the structure of your files, you can use "Cook Self Service »   >  http://www.j-cook.pro
Our community can also answer your questions and help you to customize your component.

Jocelyn.

---

Facundo Lafuente Diaz

Aug 13, 2016, 5:36:46 PM8/13/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Thank you for the reply.
I know about Joomlatools Platform, is my other option, and I thnik I will use it.

BR Facundo

Facundo Lafuente Diaz

Aug 13, 2016, 5:39:14 PM8/13/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Than you I dont know about Cook Self Service. I going to chek!!

BR Facundo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to joomla-dev-framework+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Facundo Lafuente Diaz

Aug 13, 2016, 6:53:20 PM8/13/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Last Question I promess.

Can I install JF (Joomla Framework) and then add via composer a package like this https://packagist.org/packages/sylius/user for user management, then when users logs connect to my external db and perfrom CRUD operation via Framework Forms https://github.com/joomla-framework/form?

I know this is innecesary and I can use other option (another framework, custom php, etc) but is mandatory uses Joomla (as CMS or Framework) because client knowledge of the CMS. The client dont want to move to a custom PHP app.

Im 75% inclined to use Joomlatools Platform. (https://www.joomlatools.com/developer/platform/) like Johan suggest. But stills wants to use JF for my learning and the challenge posed (first time composer, twig, etc.) Also I fell more "fredoom" using JF if I can use Packigist to expand the JF.

Thanks for your time.

Johan Janssens

Aug 14, 2016, 7:25:57 PM8/14/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Hello Facundo,

Joomlatools Platform comes with composer support, it has been optimised to install libraries from Joomla Framework using packagist instead including them in the Git repo where they don't belong (see code)

Further more, if you want to learn about composer and packagist and the different tools, Joomlatools Platform can also be installed from the command line using composer, using "composer create-project joomlatools/platform" (see also slide 12 in the presentation)

To answer your questions:

1. This is not a question of Joomla CMS vs Framework. If your client require you to use Joomla you will need to use Joomla CMS, the framework is merely is a set of libraries, it's not a application.

2. If you use Joomla CMS or Joomlatools Platform you have the framework already included, both are using Joomla Framework libraries.

3. Joomla Framework doesn't have a libraries for managing users, https://github.com/joomla-framework?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=user, the CMS does this out of the box already

4. I'm not sure why you wish to use Sylius/User, this provides the exact same functionality as the user component in Joomla, you will bascially have the same API twice. Why not just use the Joomla user component API's?

Hope that helps,

Johan

Andrew Eddie

Aug 16, 2016, 3:17:42 AM8/16/16
On Saturday, 13 August 2016 08:46:45 UTC+10, Johan Janssens wrote:
Finally, if you are not doing so, also check out our Joomlatools Vagrant Box for local Joomla development. Comes packed with tools to help you be more productive as a developer. You can find more info here: https://www.joomlatools.com/developer/tools/vagrant/

Has anyone looked at including a `docker-compose.yml` in the CMS repo?

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Michael Babker

Aug 16, 2016, 8:02:43 AM8/16/16
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Eddie

Aug 16, 2016, 6:34:27 PM8/16/16
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
On 16 August 2016 at 22:02, Michael Babker wrote:

That’s not quite what I meant. If you include a well-crafted Docker compose file in the CMS repo itself, people can just checkout the repo, run `docker-compose up` and then point their browser at the site without having to deal with installing the LAMP/WAMP/MAMP stack themselves. You are up and running ready to test and if you mount your volumes correctly, you can do hot patching. No need to use things like Vagrant anymore.

If you watch the Dockercon 2016 opening keynote you’ll kinda see where I’m going with that (https://youtu.be/vE1iDPx6-Ok?list=PLkA60AVN3hh9gnrYwNO6zTb9U3i1Y9FMY&t=2081). We do this at work now with all our micro services and it really helps everyone develop or test on a level playing field.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

piotr_cz

Sep 8, 2016, 10:06:36 AM9/8/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Unless you are on Windows - then You'd need a vagrant to run docker.
On windows docker requires 64bit 10 Pro/ Enterprise/ Education which include Microsoft Hyper-V

Andrew Eddie

Sep 12, 2016, 3:55:48 AM9/12/16
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Windows is still a pain to do development on is also aiming for a Linux platform. Even so, the cost of Windows 10 Pro is relatively cheap compared to what I have paid in the past.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

---