Re: [jewish-funerals] Digest for jewish-funerals@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

Me'irah

Jun 6, 2014, 2:55:00 PM6/6/14
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Shalom
Laurie you raise a good point: finding out the reason behind someone's choosing cremation.
I find that some folks decided to be cremated long ago, then learned about taharah, and decided that want that, too. I don't think we educate as well about burial as we do about taharah.
Someone told me once they can't deal with the idea of worms eating them. Some, I think are afraid of cemeteries. I'm guessing that in a way, having an urn of "ashes" may feel like a way someone can hold on to their loved one. I have a friend whose teenage son on a bicycle was killed by an intoxicated driver. She kept his ashes by her bed for a very long time.
Let's ask people, simply out of curiosity, "why cremation?" And see what we find out. It would make a good gamliel research project.
Blessings rabbi Me'irah

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2014, at 4:00 AM, jewish-...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/jewish-funerals/topics

    "Laurie Kurs" <bu...@usa.com> May 31 05:53AM +0200

    Decipering the "Why" someone would choose cremation can be a crucial part of this scenario. IF the reason is solely economics....one could investigate local prices of cremation and compare to basic funeral fees. I just did, and in my neighborhood the costs are about the same. IF the reason is trying to be "GREEN", one could investigate how cremation actually impacts our air. If the "why" can be uncovered, then educated decisions will likely follow.I No judgments...just factual details.

    laurie

    Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

    From: Aptaker <rapt...@comcast.net>

    To: jewish-...@googlegroups.com

    Subject: Re: [jewish-funerals] Digest for jewish-...@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

    No argument that education is important. But in the recent case in question (requesting tahara followed by cremation) I'm not impressed that the person lacks education, but rather the person has a thought out personal preference. If someone truly knows what tahara is, it's hard to imagine they don't also know the differences and implications between burial and cremation.

    Rich Aptaker

    From: "'Ilene Rubenstein' via jewish-funerals" <jewish-...@googlegroups.com>

    To: "jewish-...@googlegroups.com" <jewish-...@googlegroups.com>

    Subject: Re: [jewish-funerals] Taharah prior to cremation?

    I have struggled with this question for several years. As a member of a chevra kadisha, it broke my heart when my father-in-law died and the family decision was to honor his wishes and have his body cremated. I was grateful for the beautiful service he was given (in our home) and that eased my pain.

    I haven't completely resolved my feelings, since I see the merits in both sides as they have been presented. However, I find it curious that the discussion seems to involve an all-or-nothing proposition that focuses exclusively on tahara with no mention of shmira. I can understand why a hevra, or some individual members, might not want to do a tahara prior to cremation, but what about at least providing comfort to the soul through shmira?

Jun 11, 2014, 6:15:08 PM6/11/14
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for challenging my knee-jerk reaction to cremation. As important as I feel it is to educate in this area, on an individual level, it would be far more appropriate to start with your simple question: "why cremate?" which recognizes that their views on, and desire for, cremation may be as deeply held and complex as my opposition to it. Which is not to say that further dialogue might not follow, but always, we should start from a position of respect. So, thank you again for reminding me of that.
And yes - this would make for an interesting research topic.

Israel Man

Jun 15, 2014, 10:32:30 AM6/15/14
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Shalom all,
I did not follow the thread so I respond on the last post.
As a rabbi I always advocated for a proper Jewish burial because this is what I have learnt and what I was used to. In the last few years I travelled around the world, saw and studied different cultures with their different ways to treat the departed. The common denominator is that they all do it with respect to the dead. The problem is that what is respectful in one culture looks disrespectful in the other. I've seen bodies embalmed, burnt, buried in the ground, inserted in concrete cubicles, dumped in the sea, chopped up and fed to the vultures or buried on the front lawn of the house. All this made me rethink my attitude. So I ask you: Why shouldn't we leave it to the individual to decide what will be done with his/her body? What right have we as a society to invade individual privacy and dictate about a thing that, in the long run, does not matter to us.
Respectfully
Israel Man