Jenkins with a DB?

Michael Barbine

Jun 28, 2013, 4:14:46 PM6/28/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm looking for some input on a proven way to put all of the data contained in the Jenkins XML or API into a RDBMS. Doesn't matter which one... I can move it around later.

I found some plugins on the Jenkins site - any input on which is the best?

I have some ideas on developing my own way by using the MSSXML schema and dropping the config.xml, build.xml and job.xml into a repo for consumption. Early tests have been successful, but it's not as clean or secure as I'd like.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your input

Michael Barbine

Jun 28, 2013, 4:33:18 PM6/28/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

R. Tyler Croy

Jun 30, 2013, 5:57:30 PM6/30/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered looking at some of the recent database plugins that have
been developed instead? That way Jenkins would be storing its information in
the DB from the beginning.

See:

* <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/MySQL+Database+Plugin>
* <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/PostgreSQL+Database+Plugin>

I'm not sure how well used/supported these are however.

- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------
Code: https://github.com/rtyler
Chatter: https://twitter.com/agentdero
signature.asc

JonathanRRogers

Jul 10, 2013, 5:29:05 PM7/10/13

On Friday, June 28, 2013 4:14:46 PM UTC-4, Michael Barbine wrote:
Hello!

I'm looking for some input on a proven way to put all of the data contained in the Jenkins XML or API into a RDBMS. Doesn't matter which one... I can move it around later.

What do you mean by "all the data"? More importantly, what is the ultimate goal? I wrote a script which extracts job and build information via the Jenkins API and inserts/updates a PostgreSQL database so I could analyze it more easily. Is that similar to what you're trying to do?

JonathanRRogers

Jul 10, 2013, 5:34:33 PM7/10/13

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:57:30 PM UTC-4, R Tyler Croy wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013, Michael Barbine wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm looking for some input on a proven way to put all of the data contained
> in the Jenkins XML or API into a RDBMS. Doesn't matter which one... I can
> move it around later.
>
> I found some plugins on the Jenkins site - any input on which is the best?
>
> I have some ideas on developing my own way by using the MSSXML schema and
> dropping the config.xml, build.xml and job.xml into a repo for consumption.
> Early tests have been successful, but it's not as clean or secure as I'd
> like.

Have you considered looking at some of the recent database plugins that have
been developed instead? That way Jenkins would be storing its information in
the DB from the beginning.

See:

 * <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/MySQL+Database+Plugin>
 * <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/PostgreSQL+Database+Plugin>

I'm not sure how well used/supported these are however.

The Database Plugin, which depends on the MySQL or Postgres or some other Database Plugin, does not change anything about how existing Jenkins data is stored. It looks like it mainly provides a configuration framework for other plugins which need to use an RDBMS for their own data. Such a plugin could use the Database Plugin to implement the data export or synchronization Michael Barbine wants but I don't know if such a plugin exists yet.

Ballantyne, Bob

Jul 10, 2013, 5:42:37 PM7/10/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
This sounds remarkably similar to a task on my current 'to-do' list. Even the PostgresQL db and the analysts use case.  I had intended using Groovy.

Any chance if posting this somewhere on the Jenkins plugin site, or on Scriptler? I'm sure there are probably many others who would be VERY interested.

Jonathan Rogers

Jul 10, 2013, 7:07:29 PM7/10/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm quite willing to share the simple script I wrote. Keep in mind
that it is not a general solution, but addressed my needs in a very
specific Jenkins setup. The Python script relies on the psycopg2 library
to talk to Postgres and the jenkinsapi package to talk to Jenkins.

Put all attached files in the same directory. First, you will need to
create your Postgres database. The SQL statements in jenkins_schema.sql
should do this for you if you run it via psql. You will certainly want
to modify TEST_JOB_RE to match the job names you're interested in or
simply remove the job name check to get all of them.

You will need to modify the Postgres username and password hard coded in
update_build_db.py and the Jenkins URL and credentials in jenkins.ini.
Then, you should be able to run update_build_db.py as a script to update
your Postgres db with job and build information from Jenkins.

Ballantyne, Bob wrote:
> This sounds remarkably similar to a task on my current 'to-do' list.
> Even the PostgresQL db and the analysts use case. I had intended
> using Groovy.
>
> Any chance if posting this somewhere on the Jenkins plugin site, or on
> Scriptler? I'm sure there are probably many others who would be VERY
> interested.
>

> On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:29 PM, "JonathanRRogers"
> <jonatha...@gmail.com <mailto:jonatha...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, June 28, 2013 4:14:46 PM UTC-4, Michael Barbine wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm looking for some input on a proven way to put all of the data
>> contained in the Jenkins XML or API into a RDBMS. Doesn't matter
>> which one... I can move it around later.
>>

>> What do you mean by "all the data"? More importantly, what is the
>> ultimate goal? I wrote a script which extracts job and build
>> information via the Jenkins API and inserts/updates a PostgreSQL
>> database so I could analyze it more easily. Is that similar to what
>> you're trying to do?
>> --
>>

> --
Jonathan Rogers

jenkins_schema.sql
update_build_db.py
jenkins_config.py
jenkins.ini

Manjunath DG

Aug 27, 2013, 7:11:27 AM8/27/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Hello!
I'm getting following below error while trying to rebuild a project,This is not the case with all othere projects when i do rebuild.

  ccs_inst_path
ccs_inst_path
title
 help for search
 log in

 Oops!

A problem occurred while processing the request. Please check our bug tracker to see if a similar problem has already been reported. If it is already reported, please vote and put a comment on it to let us gauge the impact of the problem. If you think this is a new issue, please file a new issue. When you file an issue, make sure to add the entire stack trace, along with the version of Jenkins and relevant plugins. The users list might be also useful in understanding what has happened.

Stack trace

javax.servlet.ServletException: org.apache.commons.jelly.JellyTagException: jar:file:/data/JENKINS/swcoe/jenkins/plugins/rebuild/WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar!/com/sonyericsson/rebuild/RebuildAction/index.jelly:54:63: <st:include> No page found 'TextParameterValue.jelly' for class com.sonyericsson.rebuild.RebuildAction
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.JellyClassTearOff.serveIndexJelly(JellyClassTearOff.java:117)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.JellyFacet.handleIndexRequest(JellyFacet.java:127)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:673)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:777)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$12.dispatch(MetaClass.java:381)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:684)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:777)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$12.dispatch(MetaClass.java:381)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:684)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:777)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$6.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:239)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.NameBasedDispatcher.dispatch(NameBasedDispatcher.java:53)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:684)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:777)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:586)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.service(Stapler.java:217)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:45)
	at winstone.ServletConfiguration.execute(ServletConfiguration.java:248)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.forward(RequestDispatcher.java:333)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:376)
	at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:96)
	at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:206)
	at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:179)
	at net.bull.javamelody.PluginMonitoringFilter.doFilter(PluginMonitoringFilter.java:86)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.plugins.monitoring.HudsonMonitoringFilter.doFilter(HudsonMonitoringFilter.java:84)
	at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:99)
	at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:88)
	at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
	at hudson.security.csrf.CrumbFilter.doFilter(CrumbFilter.java:48)
	at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:84)
	at hudson.security.UnwrapSecurityExceptionFilter.doFilter(UnwrapSecurityExceptionFilter.java:51)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at jenkins.security.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:118)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at org.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:125)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:142)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:271)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicProcessingFilter.java:174)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at jenkins.security.ApiTokenFilter.doFilter(ApiTokenFilter.java:64)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
	at hudson.security.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter2.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter2.java:67)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
	at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:76)
	at hudson.security.HudsonFilter.doFilter(HudsonFilter.java:164)
	at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.compression.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:47)
	at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
	at hudson.util.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:81)
	at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
	at winstone.RequestDispatcher.forward(RequestDispatcher.java:331)
	at winstone.RequestHandlerThread.processRequest(RequestHandlerThread.java:227)
	at winstone.RequestHandlerThread.run(RequestHandlerThread.java:150)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
	at winstone.BoundedExecutorService$1.run(BoundedExecutorService.java:77)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.jelly.JellyTagException: jar:file:/data/JENKINS/swcoe/jenkins/plugins/rebuild/WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar!/com/sonyericsson/rebuild/RebuildAction/index.jelly:54:63: <st:include> No page found 'TextParameterValue.jelly' for class com.sonyericsson.rebuild.RebuildAction
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.IncludeTag.doTag(IncludeTag.java:124)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:269)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.TagSupport.invokeBody(TagSupport.java:161)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.ForEachTag.doTag(ForEachTag.java:150)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:269)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.CallTagLibScript$1.run(CallTagLibScript.java:98)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.define.InvokeBodyTag.doTag(InvokeBodyTag.java:91)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:269)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.ReallyStaticTagLibrary$1.run(ReallyStaticTagLibrary.java:99)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.ReallyStaticTagLibrary$1.run(ReallyStaticTagLibrary.java:99)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.CoreTagLibrary$2.run(CoreTagLibrary.java:105)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.CallTagLibScript.run(CallTagLibScript.java:119)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.CallTagLibScript$1.run(CallTagLibScript.java:98)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.define.InvokeBodyTag.doTag(InvokeBodyTag.java:91)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:269)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.CoreTagLibrary$1.run(CoreTagLibrary.java:98)
[...]
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.JellyViewScript.run(JellyViewScript.java:81)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.DefaultScriptInvoker.invokeScript(DefaultScriptInvoker.java:63)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.DefaultScriptInvoker.invokeScript(DefaultScriptInvoker.java:53)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.jelly.JellyClassTearOff.serveIndexJelly(JellyClassTearOff.java:112)
	... 69 more

 ... 69 more
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your input
Thanks and Regards,
Manju

Daniel Beck

Aug 27, 2013, 2:12:42 PM8/27/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Try to update rebuild plugin to version 1.15.

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Rebuild+Plugin#RebuildPlugin-Version1.15%28Oct12%2C2012%29

On 27.08.2013, at 13:11, Manjunath DG <dgmanj...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Hello!
> I'm getting following below error while trying to rebuild a project,This is not the case with all othere projects when i do rebuild.
>

> • Jenkins
> • BAT_Win7_Task
> • #1128
> • Rebuild
> Back to Dashboard
> ccs_inst_path
>
> ccs_inst_path
>

> log in
> • Jenkins
> Jenkins project
> Bug tracker
> Mailing Lists
> https://twitter.com/jenkinsci

Manjunath DG

Aug 28, 2013, 4:26:05 AM8/28/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
H All,
I am using Rebuild plugin 1.13 and what we have the latest release for rebuild plugin is 1.19.

Will my below issue will be taken care if i upgrade my rebuild plugin with latest version 1.19

Thanks and Regards,
Manjunath D G

Ankit Kumar

Jul 16, 2015, 11:07:51 AM7/16/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I want to extract Data from Jenkins for Builds and Job.Is there any way plugin or way from which I can build Database Schema by extracting jenkins data?

barbine.michael

Jul 16, 2015, 11:11:08 AM7/16/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I've done this and can help thus weekend

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4

ankit chandak

Jul 17, 2015, 6:59:37 AM7/17/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Michael,
Thank you so much.
Let me know when you get time.

barbine.michael

Jul 17, 2015, 9:07:02 AM7/17/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
What time zone are you in? I'm free this evening east coast time and tomorrow in the afternoon. I can give you a walk through and the source code.

Ankit Kumar

Jul 17, 2015, 2:52:43 PM7/17/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I am from India. Indian Standard Time is 9 hours and 30 minutes ahead of Eastern Time.
I will be available tomorrow morning your time,just let me know what is the best time suited for you.

MV

Oct 12, 2015, 10:59:06 AM10/12/15
to Jenkins Users

Hi Jonathan,

I am looking for ways to extract code coverage details from the jenkins jobs latest build information (recent 10-15 builds) and export this data into MySql database to use in various tasks. Your work resembles quite similar to me. Could you please give some insight on this?

Thank you,
Veena

barbine.michael

Oct 12, 2015, 11:50:07 AM10/12/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Happy to help with that. Do you use Google hangouts or Skype? I'm at the office currently but one evening this week I can hop on and chat with you on that.

I'm currently in central time.

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4

Jan 11, 2017, 12:00:36 AM1/11/17
to Jenkins Users
HI Veena,

Even i am trying to do the same. Have you got any solution for this?

If you got can u please let me know.

Thanks,
Gauthami T

David Karr

Jan 11, 2017, 12:51:06 AM1/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
This is basically what SonarQube provides. Have you looked into that?

Michael Barbine

Feb 18, 2019, 11:26:46 PM2/18/19
to Jenkins Users
I have some solutions to this depending on what you are trying to do and would be happy to help. Feel free to send me an email with "Jenkins Question" in the subject and I we can chat.

Yogesh Harsh

Jun 27, 2020, 10:52:47 AM6/27/20
to Jenkins Users
Hello Michael,

I am looking out for this solution as well, will you be able to help ? I want to get Jenkins jobs' data exported to a DB and then run some analytics through R.

Thank you in advance, please let me know.

Yogesh