git polling builds every 2 minutes, repository isn't changing - why?

cscooper

Oct 24, 2013, 12:05:32 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting the process of converting from cvs to git, and running into a
strange issue.

Right now, we have it set up so Jenkins polls git to see if anything changed
(in the future I will try to get push notifications working) and for some
reason it thinks the repository is always changing - so it builds every 2
minutes, day and night. The git repository is testing-only and I'm the only
one who even has access to it, so I can guarantee it's not changing.

If I look at the latest build (#727 from 10:00 am) and click on "Started by
an SCM change", I see this:

Started on Oct 24, 2013 10:00:11 AM
Using strategy: Default
[poll] Last Build Revision: revision 24e7blahblahblah4c85 (origin/master)
Done. Took 0.66 sec
Changes found

and if I look at the build before that (#726 from 9:58 am) I see the exact
same output (except the starting time and elapsed time changes). The
revision HMAC is identical.

I'm having other issues with this repository (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19569805/git-clone-followed-by-status-shows-untracked-files
) so I don't know if I'm using git wrong, or if svn2git created the
repository wrong.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Chris

Maneesh M P

Oct 24, 2013, 12:55:18 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, chris....@veranmedical.com
Have you tried git remote polling ?

Thanks,
Maneesh

Chris Cooper

Oct 24, 2013, 1:11:32 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I see people talking about git remote polling, but can't find the option anywhere to enable it.  Can you point me to it?

Thanks,
Chris

Maneesh M P

Oct 24, 2013, 1:51:14 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, chris....@veranmedical.com
Please see the attached screenshot .. It was taken from my job configuration.

Thanks,
Maneesh
remote-polling.JPG

Chris Cooper

Oct 24, 2013, 2:22:21 PM10/24/13
to Maneesh M P, jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Interesting … the configuration I have available looks NOTHING like that!

I am up-to-date with Jenkins 1.536 and have the "Jenkins GIT client plugin" (version 1.4.5) and the "Jenkins GIT plugin" (version 2.0).

In my job, in the "Source Code Management" section, one of the radio-button choices is for "Git".  It lets me specify Repositories, Branches to build, Repository browser, and Additional Behaviours.  None of the Additional Behaviours contain anything about remote polling either.

Are you running git using some completely different method?

Maneesh M P

Oct 24, 2013, 2:29:28 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Maneesh M P, chris....@veranmedical.com
Nope, I am using git version 1.5.0, I am sure that option will be available in 2.0 as well.
You just have to click on the "Advanced" option right to "Repository browser".
Please see the attached screenshot

Thanks,
Maneesh
remote-polling.JPG

Chris Cooper

Oct 24, 2013, 3:03:22 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
The UI for setting the options in the 2.0 plugin is apparently drastically different from the UI of the 1.5 plugin … it's now got a label "Additional Behaviours" with a button "Add" that brings up a drop down menu.

So, for example, where the 1.5 plugin shows you "Included Regions" and "Excluded Regions", the 2.0 plugin requires you to click on Add and select "Polling ignores commits in certain paths" at which point a sub-group appears in the UI that contains "Included Regions" and "Excluded Regions".

Problem is, I've opened up all of the sub-groups available from the "Add" button, and none of them contain anything similar to "Fast remote polling".

Nigel Magnay

Oct 24, 2013, 3:06:59 PM10/24/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I have also recently upgraded to the git plugin 2.0, and am also seeing it repeatedly building (each time reporting many "SCM Change") followed by it rebuilding the exact same SHA1 as the last time it was built.

Looks like a bug, but not sure exactly where yet..

Andrei Neculau

May 12, 2014, 5:53:28 AM5/12/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Seeing the same behaviour still.
Does anyone have any updates?

Mark Waite

May 12, 2014, 9:10:00 AM5/12/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
There are several bug reports related to builds happening repeatedly when git SCM polling incorrectly decides there is a change, though there is not a change.  A few of them used a work around of adding the "Additional Behaviours" to "Force polling using workspace" .

  • JENKINS-22009
  • JENKINS-21652
  • JENKINS-20767
  • JENKINS-20738
  • JENKINS-20607
  • JENKINS-20569
  • JENKINS-20562
  • JENKINS-19569
  • JENKINS-18212
  • JENKINS-15803
Those may help you identify which work around is best for you, and they may help you help the maintainers by isolating the specific cause of the case which you are seeing.

Mark Waite

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Andrei Neculau

May 13, 2014, 4:20:02 PM5/13/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark
Our scenario was triggered by: namespaced branches with the same name.

I was about to mention this finding, but it seems to be already a pull request in

Mark Waite

May 13, 2014, 4:40:02 PM5/13/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That's good to know.  That particular pull request still needs further work, since there are a number of use cases which need to be preserved while allowing namespaces.