Jenkins Upgrade 2.235.1 to 2.263.3 All Nodes Can't Connect

Minimos

Feb 12, 2021, 9:49:18 AM2/12/21
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

We recently updated Jenkins as per the subject line on our Windows boxes

All plugins were updated at the same time, however we can no longer get our nods to communicate with the master.

A Java Io exception of Connection time Out is displayed.  There have been no changes to our firewall or network.

I can see that a connecting is established via NetStat with a port being opened on both boxes.

Has any one else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Mark Waite

Feb 12, 2021, 9:55:58 AM2/12/21
to Jenkins Users
The Jenkins 2.249.1 upgrade guide notes that Microsot.NET 2.0 support has been removed.  See https://www.jenkins.io/doc/upgrade-guide/2.249/#upgrading-to-jenkins-lts-2-249-1 in case that affects your installation.

Minimos

Feb 12, 2021, 10:13:30 AM2/12/21
to Jenkins Users

Thanks I'll take a look at the information.

I am using .Net 4.5 so should not be an issue, but there is an interesting point re JNLP.

I'll go through the document and double check everything.

In the meantime do others have any other pointers?

Minimos

Feb 15, 2021, 8:30:53 AM2/15/21
to Jenkins Users
So I rolled the version back and the issue has gone away.

I will need to do a incremental upgrade of the WAR to find out which version breaks the functionality

mj1414...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2021, 12:21:04 PM2/15/21
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

although I found nothing in the LTS upgrade guide... Did you get the current slave.jar from the new master ?
Otherwise you might have a compatibility issue between new master and old slaves,

Regards

Martin

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Feb 15, 2021, 2:50:30 PM2/15/21
to Jenkins Users
Remember that JNLP agents do not update the remoting jar if are not configured to do that, on Jenkins Core 2.248 there is a change on the remoting version, I bet you can bump the version to 2.247 without issues. To upgrade to 2.248+ you would need to upgrade the remoting jar on the JNLP agents.

Minimos

Feb 17, 2021, 11:28:05 AM2/17/21
to Jenkins Users
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I copied the new agent.jar to the machine when using the new version. I am executing it on demand from the command line.

How would I update the remoting.jar on the slave?  As far as I can tell there is only one .jar used on the slave and that is the one you download from the master?

kuisathaverat

Feb 17, 2021, 2:54:21 PM2/17/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there is only one file to update the remoting.jar. If you install the remoting process as a service the update is done by the service see
https://github.com/jenkinsci/windows-slave-installer-module and

If you have updated the remoting jar before you connect your agents and they fails to connect, it means is not related to the remoting version. you could check which JNLP versions you have enabled on “manage Jenkins/security”, also check if you see something on the Jenkins logs related to those agents, if not try to enable verbose log for remoting

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/7ea8fe7c-dbe4-474c-9e6a-22ba8181e2ben%40googlegroups.com.