Cloning private Git repo (2FA enabled) is timing out on Windows 10 Pro

wilson luu

Sep 20, 2016, 9:26:12 PM9/20/16
to Jenkins Users
I've been stuck on this problem for a couple of days and I cannot find any resolution to this problem. Some of my colleagues suggest I use SSH to clone my private repo, but I want to make sure I didn't miss something with this setup. Hopefully, someone has encountered this issue before and was able to resolve it.

Here is some background on my issue:
  • I'm trying to clone my private Github repo to a Windows 10 Pro slave machine and my repo has 2FA enabled.
  • I've stored the 2FA token and the my Git username in Jenkins Credential plugin and no errors appear when I select the private repo for my SCM with the stored credentials.
  • I am able to manually clone my private repo on the Windows 10 Pro slave machine using my token without any issues.
  • I've also set git config --global credential.helper wincred on the slave machine to store my credentials so Git won't prompt me for my password again; still did not resolve the issue.
  • My repo is only 31 KB, so not an issue with the repo size.
  • Using Jenkins build 1.651.2 with Git plugin 2.5.0.
  • Below is the error I'm encountering:

Started by user Wilson Luu
[EnvInject] - Loading node environment variables.
Building remotely on ENG-TestSlave-Win10Pro (automation windows) in workspace C:\Jenkins\workspace\library_automation
Cloning the remote Git repository
Cloning repository https://github.com/appcelerator/libautomator.git
Fetching upstream changes from https://github.com/appcelerator/libautomator.git
 > git --version # timeout=10
 > git -c core.askpass=true fetch --tags --progress https://github.com/appcelerator/libautomator.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
ERROR: Timeout after 10 minutes
ERROR: Error cloning remote repo 'origin'
hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git -c core.askpass=true fetch --tags --progress https://github.com/appcelerator/libautomator.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*" returned status code -1:
stdout:
stderr:
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1719)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1463)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.access$300(CliGitAPIImpl.java:63)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl$1.execute(CliGitAPIImpl.java:314)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl$2.execute(CliGitAPIImpl.java:506)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler$1.call(RemoteGitImpl.java:152)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler$1.call(RemoteGitImpl.java:145)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:120)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
	at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:332)
	at hudson.remoting.InterceptingExecutorService$1.call(InterceptingExecutorService.java:68)
	at hudson.remoting.Engine$1$1.run(Engine.java:85)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
	at ......remote call to ENG-TestSlave-Win10Pro(Native Method)
	at hudson.remoting.Channel.attachCallSiteStackTrace(Channel.java:1416)
	at hudson.remoting.UserResponse.retrieve(UserRequest.java:220)
	at hudson.remoting.Channel.call(Channel.java:781)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler.execute(RemoteGitImpl.java:145)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor737.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler.invoke(RemoteGitImpl.java:131)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy70.execute(Unknown Source)
	at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.retrieveChanges(GitSCM.java:1039)
	at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.checkout(GitSCM.java:1079)
	at hudson.scm.SCM.checkout(SCM.java:485)
	at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1269)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:607)
	at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:529)
	at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1738)
	at hudson.matrix.MatrixBuild.run(MatrixBuild.java:301)
	at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:98)
	at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:410)
ERROR: null
Started calculate disk usage of build
Finished Calculation of disk usage of build in 0 seconds
Started calculate disk usage of workspace
Finished Calculation of disk usage of workspace in  1 second
Finished: FAILURE

Mark Waite

Sep 20, 2016, 9:53:58 PM9/20/16
to Jenkins Users
I've never tested the git plugin with wincred, so I don't know if it will work.

If it does not work, you may need to remove your stored credentials http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15381198/remove-credentials-from-git and rely on the credentials mechanism inside Jenkins.

When you say that you entered your 2FA token, I assume what you really entered was your personal access token rather than the value you enter from your two factor authentication device.  If not, then you should probably generate a personal access token and use that as though it were your password.

Mark Waite

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 21, 2016, 12:43:37 AM9/21/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

+1. It's actually more than recommended, it's compulsory.
With HTTPS on GitHub in that situation, you must use an access token. Using your classical credentials won't work.
See https://help.github.com/articles/which-remote-url-should-i-use/#when-2fa-is-enabled (and the link mark already provided indeed).

wilson luu

Sep 21, 2016, 12:57:22 AM9/21/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, when I say my 2FA token, I meant my personal access token. I also tried the Jenkins Credentials first before setting git config --global credential.helper wincred.