how do searches for emails work?

hank williams

Jun 28, 2015, 8:09:52 AM6/28/15
to jec-u...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for is very basic question, but I would like to avoid testing something if a quick answer from someone in this group can help us avoid hours of work.

We have done a bit of work with other Javamail to Exchange connectors and the two that we have tried all have one problem. We want to search for specific emails. The other connectors support this by reading in *all* of the emails the user has and then doing an in memory search, rather than using the exchange APIs available to do the very specific search. This is obviously not scalable because for a user with a lot of emails it would be very slow and take up a lot of memory in our server. Then we would have to do this every time we wanted to find something new, and we'd need to do it for what could be tens of thousands of users.

Does JEC do it the right way, which, in our view, is to use the APIs that are available to let the exchange server do the search and only deliver the specific emails we want?

jonathan sanders

Jun 28, 2015, 8:18:36 AM6/28/15
to jec users2

Yes,
It supports this functionality.
Please see our filters and sorters examples.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Sanders,
NetComps LTD

hank williams

Jun 28, 2015, 1:03:40 PM6/28/15
to jec-u...@googlegroups.com
Great. So just to be clear your connectors are 100% compatible with javamail? I ask because we currently support javamail and just want to confirm that there should be no work or minimal work to use your product to add exchange support to what we already do with imap.

Thanks,
Hank

jonathan sanders

Jun 28, 2015, 1:08:03 PM6/28/15
to jec users2

Its a simple java api.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Sanders,
NetComps LTD

hank williams

Jun 28, 2015, 1:10:50 PM6/28/15
to jec-u...@googlegroups.com
I understand. My question is whether it is a connector that is compatible with *javamail* (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javamail/index.html). I am asking because we already support the javamail api, and supporting a different API will be more work.

jonathan sanders

Jun 28, 2015, 1:13:37 PM6/28/15
to jec users2
Yes, it supports conversion to JavaMail objects.
Best Regards,
Jonathan Sanders,
Developer & Support Eng,
NetComps LTD

hank williams

Jun 28, 2015, 1:14:36 PM6/28/15
to jec-u...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks.

Eli Hasson

Jun 28, 2015, 1:17:44 PM6/28/15
to jec-u...@googlegroups.com
When you get to this, just tell me and I will send you example code for the JavaMail (its not included in the examples).