CCCC-IP Standing Group Meeting - March 14

瀏覽次數:1 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Jessica Reyman

未讀,
2018年2月23日 上午10:38:022018/2/23
收件者:intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
All,
Below are the details for this year's CCCC Intellectual Property Standing Group meeting. I'm attaching a PDF flyer to share, and you can also share the link below. Please distribute widely and encourage others to attend. Spread the word that we welcome newcomers and will be providing mentoring opportunities for graduate students and junior scholars. This meeting is FREE and is open to all conference participants.
See you all in Kansas City!
Jessica

CCCC Intellectual Property Standing Group Meeting

Wednesday, March 14, 2018  |  2:00-5:30 PM

Kansas City Marriott Downtown | Trianon D

This event is FREE and is open to all conference participants!

The CCCC Intellectual Property Standing Group (CCCC-IP) invites to its annual meeting composition scholars and teachers who are concerned with issues of authorship, copyright, fair use, remix, access, and the ownership and use of intellectual property. Since it began in 1994, CCCC-IP has sponsored explorations of IP issues pertinent to teachers, scholars, and students in the field.

At this practical and action-focused annual meeting, we will discuss the current status of teaching and research of authorship, copyright, and intellectual property in the field of rhetoric and composition.

Participants will meet in roundtables to discuss topics such as remix and participatory culture, plagiarism and authorship, students’ rights to their intellectual property, and best practices in teaching students and instructors about IP. Roundtable leaders will share pertinent information on their topics, and participants will create action plans and share resources for political, professional, scholarly, and pedagogical use. Following the roundtable discussions, participants will reconvene to share their plans and recommend action items for the coming year.

Senior chair: Jessica Reyman, Northern Illinois University

Junior chair: Wendy Warren Austin, Independent Scholar

Roundtable 1: Research Networking in Intellectual Property Studies

Timothy R. Amidon, Colorado State University

TyAnna Herrington, Georgia Tech

John Logie, University of Minnesota

New researchers (including graduate students) will discuss current projects, receive mentoring from, and network with colleagues. Roundtable leaders are experienced scholars working on research related to authorship, copyright, and intellectual property.

Roundtable 2: Teaching about Intellectual Property

Mike Edwards, Washington State University

James P. Purdy, Duquesne University

Kyle Stedman, Rockford University

Participants will share pedagogical approaches and ideas for teaching about authorship and intellectual property. Participants will consider what instructors and students need to know about IP from a variety of perspectives, including protection of cultural heritage and indigenous IP, how IP concerns affect student professionalization and post-graduation work, and how students can contribute to the productive and ethical valuation and circulation of various forms of IP.

Roundtable 3: Legal and Legislative Developments

Laurie Cubbison, Radford University

Kim Gainer, Radford University

Participants will review the past year’s legal and legislative IP developments as they affect students and educators. The goal of this roundtable is to explore means for safeguarding the ability of students and teachers to make appropriate use of copyrighted material in furtherance of legitimate educational goals.

Roundtable 4: Students’ Rights to their Own Intellectual Property:
Wendy Warren Austin, Independent Scholar

Alex C. Nielsen, Old Dominion University

Considering the various sites and forms of production that students engage in both in and out of the classroom, this roundtable will offer information about student IP ownership. Discussion will focus on how scholars and teachers can inform students about (and advocate for) their rights as content creators, remixers, and critics. Possible further topics of discussion include IP issues within learning management system contexts, open-source licenses in the classroom, best practices for online production and publication of assignments, and the IP risks and benefits of student ePortfolios.

CCCCIP2018.pdf

Gainer, Kim

未讀,
2018年2月23日 上午11:01:362018/2/23
收件者:intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Jessica,

I’m immunocompromised and will still be immunocompromised in March so cannot travel, and Laurie Cubbison will be unable to travel for other reasons. I will still be contributing to the IP Annual, and Laurie and I could send a handout on Legal and Legislative developments, but unless someone else can lead Roundtable 3, perhaps it might be merged with one of the other roundtables.

Thanks to modern medicine, I hope to be back in 2019.

Best,

Kim

--

---

Jessica Reyman

未讀,
2018年2月23日 上午11:08:572018/2/23
收件者:intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim,
We will miss you and Laurie at this year's conference. Please follow along on Twitter if you'd like, where we'll live-Tweet the session (#4cIP). Wishing you health and healing...
Jessica

---

Jeff Galin

未讀,
2018年3月1日 晚上7:31:042018/3/1
收件者:intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Jessica, I can probably help out on Kim's table if you need help. I plan to be there that afternoon for the ccip caucus. Kim, sorry to hear you're ill. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

---
回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄