Can I execute a script that makes an HTTP petition and wait for its result before continuing installation?

Biel Serrano

Oct 21, 2021, 6:04:19 AM10/21/21
to innosetup
Hello, it's my first time in this forum so sorry if this question does not belong here.

I am still learning about Inno Script. We are planning to use it in our company and currently, we are wondering if it would be possible to run a script or maybe use Pascal/Delphi directly, to make an HTTP petition before continuing installation/configuration processes.

The idea would be to wait for its result and then, depending on it, continue configuring the application.
It might be a silly question, but I have never used Pascal.

Thank you in advance!

Gavin Lambert

Oct 21, 2021, 5:48:01 PM10/21/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
On 21/10/2021 23:04, Biel Serrano wrote:
> I am still learning about Inno Script. We are planning to use it in our
> company and currently, we are wondering if it would be possible to run a
> script or maybe use Pascal/Delphi directly, to make an HTTP petition
> before continuing installation/configuration processes.

Assuming that you're using at least Inno 6, then have a look at the
DownloadTemporaryFile function.

Bill Stewart

Oct 22, 2021, 6:32:34 PM10/22/21
to innosetup
On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 4:04:19 AM UTC-6 bielsesa.di...@gmail.com wrote:

I am still learning about Inno Script. We are planning to use it in our company and currently, we are wondering if it would be possible to run a script or maybe use Pascal/Delphi directly, to make an HTTP petition before continuing installation/configuration processes.

What do you mean by "HTTP petition"?

Are you asking if you can prompt the user to answer a question before continuing the installation?

Bill

Biel Serrano

Oct 26, 2021, 5:56:37 AM10/26/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
More or less yes, we were thinking of getting information from an API (made by us) about the user license so the installer knows which modules to add.
I guess it would be something like, the user inserts a license number, it makes the HTTP request, then the API tells the installer "this license needs X and X modules", and then it installs those modules.
If that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it in another way, sorry! And thanks.

Bill Stewart

Oct 26, 2021, 11:40:29 AM10/26/21
to innosetup
On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 3:56:37 AM UTC-6 bielsesa.di...@gmail.com wrote:

More or less yes, we were thinking of getting information from an API (made by us) about the user license so the installer knows which modules to add.
I guess it would be something like, the user inserts a license number, it makes the HTTP request, then the API tells the installer "this license needs X and X modules", and then it installs those modules.
If that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it in another way, sorry! And thanks.

Inno Setup lets you add custom dialog pages and (as Gavin noted) provides native ability to download files using http/https.

Bill

Biel Serrano

Oct 27, 2021, 2:35:49 AM10/27/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
I will look more into the page Gavin provided. Thank you both!

Eivind Bakkestuen

Oct 27, 2021, 8:29:01 AM10/27/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
I do exactly this in the installers I maintain. I use custom Inno pages and a DLL with the HTTP functionality.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:56 PM Biel Serrano <bielsesa.di...@gmail.com> wrote:
More or less yes, we were thinking of getting information from an API (made by us) about the user license so the installer knows which modules to add.
I guess it would be something like, the user inserts a license number, it makes the HTTP request, then the API tells the installer "this license needs X and X modules", and then it installs those modules.
If that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it in another way, sorry! And thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "innosetup" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/innosetup/CAE6TuxDKmVQn8918mFVdyZJ3J3hzrag--1kWXqrujqfe2twEDQ%40mail.gmail.com.