Hooghly : Eugenia sp. (JAAMROOL in Bengali)

surajit koley

Apr 26, 2013, 12:46:18 PM4/26/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Very confusing data found on what will be the correct species ID of this plant. It is JAAMROOL in Bengali, produces white fruits, very common in villages.

Flora Indica describes  -
1) E. aquea R. - two varieties, one with rose coloured fruits and the other is white
2) E. alba R. - white shining fruits.... very insipid and quite watery.

The fruits (yet to develop) in this species are watery indeed!

"An English Index to the Plants of India" informs JAAMROOL/JAMRUL is E. alba. The malaccensis one is MALACCA-JAMROOL.

Photos were taken on 03/04/2013, in an orchard.

Regards,

P1000627.jpg
P1000630.jpg
P1000633.jpg
P1000634.jpg
P1000635.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Apr 28, 2013, 11:48:40 AM4/28/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Surajit Koley Ji,

It will be more clear if you send the images of the fruits.  To me, it is a hybrid of Syzygium aqueum and S. samarangense.  There are some intermediates between both species.  The flowers belong to S. aqueum but the leaves are almost similar to S. samarangense. In Indonesia, I found some cultivars of S. aqueum i.e.: 1) permanently white, 2) white then pink, 3) large pink, 4) small red, 5) large red to dark red.  Eugenia alba has been transferred to S. samarangense.  Syzygium malaccense has deep pink flowers.

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

surajitkoley

Apr 28, 2013, 12:59:29 PM4/28/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Pudji Widodo
Dear Pudji Ji,

Thank you very much for the details. Bimal Da also identifies this as Syzygium samarangense. Will try to get its fruits, to receive your view on the probability of a hybrid.

Regards,
surajit

surajit koley

May 6, 2013, 1:49:45 PM5/6/13
to efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Dear Pudji Ji,

I have recorded another tree today. This tree (in the attached photos) might be the same as in the original plant in this thread (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/laDMeV_WJ7g/36cgkM8Y7SkJ).

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit

--

---

P1020618.jpg
P1020619.jpg
P1020620.jpg
P1020622.jpg
P1020623.jpg
P1020624.jpg
P1020626.jpg

surajit koley

May 9, 2013, 2:04:35 AM5/9/13
to efloraofindia
Attaching images of the fruits of this tree. Also attached below the note from Pudji Ji. I am thankful to him very much.

Regards,
surajit