Cuscuta ID request - 09012015PC1

Chitralekha P

Jan 9, 2015, 9:51:08 AM1/9/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Kindly identify the species of Cuscuta growing in Delhi. I suspect there are two species of Cuscuta here, the one with orange-brown thinner stem is flowering and the other with yellow-green thicker stem (C. reflexa?) is not flowering.
Thank you,
With best regards,
Chitralekha
DSC05220 - Copy.JPG
DSC05223 - Copy.JPG
DSC05228 - Copy.JPG
DSC05231 - Copy.JPG
DSC05235 - Copy.JPG
DSC05241 - Copy.JPG
DSC05242 - Copy.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 18, 2015, 2:45:41 AM1/18/15
to efloraofindia, P. Chitralekha

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSC05220 - Copy.JPG
DSC05223 - Copy.JPG
DSC05228 - Copy.JPG
DSC05231 - Copy.JPG
DSC05235 - Copy.JPG
DSC05241 - Copy.JPG
DSC05242 - Copy.JPG

surajit koley

Jan 18, 2015, 11:46:09 AM1/18/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, P. Chitralekha
Cuscuta chinensis Lam., I think.
Thank you
Regards
surajit

Abid Munshi

Jan 18, 2015, 11:59:09 AM1/18/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, P. Chitralekha
Dear Friend
I agree with Dr. Koley for identification
Prof. A. H. Munshi

On 18 January 2015 at 22:15, surajit koley

surajit koley

Jan 18, 2015, 12:07:17 PM1/18/15
to Abid Munshi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, P. Chitralekha
Sir, I am simply graduate in biological science.
Thank you
Regards
surajit

Chitralekha P

Jan 19, 2015, 10:56:28 AM1/19/15
to Abid Munshi, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Prof. Munshi and Surajit. I am confused; Is it Cuscuta chinensis or C.campestris? How can we differentiate between them?
Best regards,
Chitralekha

>> email to indiantreepix+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix.
>>

>> --
>> With regards,
>> J.M.Garg

>> The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species &
>> eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
>> alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative
>> Commons license attached with each image.

>> please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world-
>> more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia
>> website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000
>> images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia.

>> India'.

surajit koley

Jan 19, 2015, 11:42:29 AM1/19/15
to Chitralekha P, Abid Munshi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes, Madam, you are correct, it is more likely C. campestris Yuncker, provided it is distributed in your area. However, difference can be found in FoC or FoP KEY. Perhaps host plant described there may help reach further conclusion.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

P. Chitralekha

Jan 20, 2015, 9:48:26 AM1/20/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in
Thank you Surajit. In Flora of Delhi ((1963) only two species of Cuscuta are reported to be growing in Delhi, C. reflexa and C. hyaline. I tried FoP but could not conclusively identify the species.
regards,
Chitralekha

surajitkoley

Jan 21, 2015, 1:24:43 PM1/21/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in
Madam,

I Haven't received your mail yesterday, instead replying in the group site directly. This is getting complicated. Please check my thread, I have uploaded a little while ago - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/4juCgPJGMN8/YHpA9ZMONDEJ.

I think your species look similar to mine.

Your species doesn't look like C. hyalina, for flowers should have acuminate to caudate petals and acute to acuminate sepals. Please check-

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Chitralekha P

Jan 22, 2015, 9:48:47 AM1/22/15
to surajitkoley, indian...@googlegroups.com
You are right Surajit. It does appear to be C. chinensis which probably has not been reported from Delhi.
Thanks.
Regards,
Chitralekha

surajit koley

Jan 22, 2015, 10:21:06 AM1/22/15
to Chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madam,

Now I am confused, I have identified my species (at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/indiantreepix/4juCgPJGMN8) as Cuscuta campestris, based on Flora of China KEY -
(i) capsule entirely enclosed by withered corolla = chinensis
(ii) capsule subtended by withered corolla = campestris

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Chitralekha P

Jan 23, 2015, 10:10:39 AM1/23/15
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Surajit. I am now fully convinced that it is Cuscuta campestris. I dissected the flowers and found them to be exactly as described in Flora of China.
Thank you,
Regards,
Chitralekha

surajit koley

Jan 23, 2015, 11:20:20 AM1/23/15
to Chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Madam. I also tried to dissect those flowers to see scales! But it was impossible to me to see anything inside.

With regards
surajit

Chitralekha P

Jan 24, 2015, 9:54:55 AM1/24/15
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Surajit,
The scales are very much there. They are present where the filaments have fused with the petals (attached photo).Can I also call them coronal outgrowths? if yes, are they then petaloid or staminal in origin? The host in this case is Clerodendrum inerme. After flowering the parasite withers and dies. I am yet to see the other Cuscuta species (probably C.reflexa) with the greenish-yellow stem flower in Delhi.
Like C. reflexa, C. campestris  too shows self-parasitism though not as aggressively.
Best regards,
Chitralekha
DSC05274.JPG

surajit koley

Jan 24, 2015, 10:17:26 AM1/24/15
to Chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you again so much Madam, I also noticed those translucent growth, but couldn't make out their shapes. Neither could I focus my camera to take a snap.
Yes, I also noticed Clerodendrum is their host, in our case is Clerodendrum infortunatum.

Thank you once again.

Regards
surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 24, 2015, 10:53:14 AM1/24/15
to Chitralekha P, surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
I cant get into this discussion no time family still here
but I love this up-cycle use of the broken eyeglass lens as a slide ...
impressed with your innovative-ness

I use them as magnifiers in dire emergency..

and hang on the purse handles etc to pull zipper chains etc...when I have time

usha di

Usha di
===========

Chitralekha P

Jan 25, 2015, 8:14:19 AM1/25/15
to Ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ushadi. Surajit, there are five delicate translucent scales with inward-facing finger-like  projections at their tips (fimbriolate?) . Will try to get a better picture.
Regards,
Chitralekha

surajit koley

Jan 25, 2015, 9:36:15 AM1/25/15
to Chitralekha P, Ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Madam, I can very well see the finger like projections in the photograph you have uploaded.

I thank you very much for this excellent learning session.

Regards

surajit