Request for tree ID-290809RA3

rashida atthar

Aug 29, 2009, 2:25:35 AM8/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This tree with alternate leaves was seen at the national park in Mumbai last week. Kindly ID the same. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

From the hottest sporting action to the latest in news, style and entertainment, it's all on MSN India
UNID tree.JPG
UNID leaves.JPG
UNID leaf.JPG
UNID leaves back venation.JPG

Neil Soares

Aug 29, 2009, 3:22:35 AM8/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, rashida atthar
Hi Rashida,
  Difficult to say from these photographs. It could be Polyaltia cerasoides [Hum] or Saccopetalum tomentosum, but I would go for Polyalthia cerasoides.
                             Regards,
                               Neil.

Nayan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 4:33:18 AM8/29/09
to rashida atthar, indiantreepix
looks like Miliusa velutina from Annonaceae family

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 29, 2009, 8:20:49 AM8/29/09
to ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you  Nayan ji for the ID. Neil has indicated it as Polyalthia cerasoides.

I referred to some books after getting the two IDs. As per recent books  on web and Flora of Mah., the bark of Milliusa tomentosa is described as blackish brown which seems to match with what I saw more  than that of of polyalthia cerasoides (light grey bark) and Milliusa velutina (dark grey bark).

The leaves too seem to match more with Milliusa tomentosa -glabrescent above and tomentose beneath. Besides, Flora of Mah states that M. tomentosa  is seen at Borivli unlike M. vellutina. Request further validation of the same.  I stand to be corrected by experts. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:03:18 +0530
From: ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in
Subject: [indiantreepix:17147] Re: Request for tree ID-290809RA3
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

Neil Soares

Aug 29, 2009, 8:57:14 AM8/29/09
to ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
HI Rashida,
  Still think it is Polyalthia cerasoides. Sending you photographs of Miliusa tomentosa [Saccopetalum tomentosa] for comparison.
                         Regards,
                           Neil.

--- On Sat, 8/29/09, rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Miliusa tomentosa, Saccopetalum tomentosa [Humb] fruit.jpg
Humb fruits.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 29, 2009, 9:02:40 AM8/29/09
to ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Miliusa tomentosa, Saccopetalum tomentosa [Humb] fruit.jpg
Humb fruits.jpg

rashida atthar

Aug 29, 2009, 9:29:58 AM8/29/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Why would you rule out M. Velutina?  Do you have pic of M. Tomentosa bark?

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:02:40 -0700
From: drneil...@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:17158] Re: Request for tree ID-290809RA3
To: ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in; rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

Neil Soares

Aug 29, 2009, 11:25:45 AM8/29/09
to ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rashida,
  No I do not have a photograph of the bark of M.tomentosa.  M.velutina is not found in the Borivali N.P.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 1:07:45 PM8/29/09
to Neil Soares, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think the distichous leaves, more lanceolate leaves, acuminate tip and lustrous upper surface are distinctive for Polyalthia cerasoides. Both species are illustrated in Indian Trees by Brandis.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2009, 1:39:43 PM9/11/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Rashida ji,
I think you match your images here with Polyalthia cerasoides (Roxb.) Bedd. & confirm:
2009/8/29 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

rashida atthar

Sep 14, 2009, 1:41:42 AM9/14/09
to jmg...@gmail.com, sin...@sify.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the links Garg ji, yetl not totally convinced it is Polyalthia cerasoides, bark is lighter thas  my pics and leaves  little more acuminate.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:09:43 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:18210] Re: Request for tree ID-290809RA3
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: sin...@sify.com
CC: drneil...@yahoo.com; ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in; rashid...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Swagat

Sep 14, 2009, 7:58:14 AM9/14/09
to rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, sin...@sify.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Polyalthia cerasoides' is called 'Hoom' 'हूम' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Gurcharan Singh