(2021/May/13 ART 2) Ziziphus sp.?

Ms. Tamil

May 13, 2021, 8:34:09 AM5/13/21
to efloraofindia
Date: 2021/May/09
Location: Varathamanathi Dam, Palani, Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu

May I know the ID of this plant?  Could it be Ziziphus sp.?

Thank you.
-Arvindh
IMG_1518.jpg
IMG_1520.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1525.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

May 13, 2021, 8:37:29 AM5/13/21
to efloraindia
Yes !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

May 13, 2021, 12:09:03 PM5/13/21
to efloraofindia
Check with Z. rugosa Arvindh Ji,
with regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 05/13/21, 09:37:33 PM

Ms. Tamil

May 15, 2021, 6:11:55 AM5/15/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Saroj ji, Paradesi ji.

Checked the references given in EFI website:

As per [ref1], Z. rugosa is woody, armed straggler; thorns stout; branchlets rusty-tomentose; leaves orbicular, broadly elliptic, 8-15 x 5-10 cm, glabrous above, woolly below, obtuse, serrulate, base subcordate.

As per [ref2] Z. rugosa is an armed woody straggler, up to 6m tall.  Leaves orbicular-rotund, 4-6 x 2.5-5 cm, 5-nerved, base cordate, margin serrulate, apex rotund.

In the photos, I couldn't find thorns, and the leaves don't seem (to my untrained eyes) woolly below (only [ref1] mentions woolly).  I missed checking for both these details in the field.  The leaves are not 5-nerved (only [ref2] mentions it).

I also checked Z. glabrata, as it is mentioned as unarmed in both the references.

As per [ref1], Z. glabrata is unarmed tree, up to 8m tall; leaves ovate to oblong-elliptic, 4-7 x 2.5-5 cm, glabrous or pubescent on the nerves beneath, obtuse or acute, crenate, base obtuse.

As per [ref2], Z. glabrata is unarmed tree, up to 8m tall; wood brown; branchlets tomentose.  Leaves ovate, elliptic, or elliptic-oblong, 3-7.5 x 2.3-5 cm, glabrous, white woolly-tomentose beneath when young, base obtuse-subcordate, apex acute or crenate, petiole 3-9 mm.

In this case also, I couldn't make out the pubescent/tomentose nature from the photos.

Checked a few other Z. species, but they don't seem to match -- in those other species, either the leaves are hairy, or the nerves don't meet (in Z. caracatta).

I am completely new to all these details, and not sure how to conclude if it is Z. rugosa. :-)

Thank you.
-Arvindh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAPTGuvGkf%3D3kevE7D4Y8oJ1Rp2cxLqrUSzOH86Mmqyy3yu%3DF2g%40mail.gmail.com.

J.M. Garg

May 22, 2021, 4:29:29 AM5/22/21
to efloraofindia, Ms. Tamil, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Saroj Kasaju
I think it is Ziziphus incurva Roxb. as per images and details herein and as per comparative images at Ziziphus

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Arvindh T

May 30, 2021, 6:08:11 AM5/30/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Garg ji.
Glad to see the photos added in the eFI web page.

-Arvindh