Flemingia chappar from Delhi

Tabish

Oct 7, 2018, 7:18:11 AM10/7/18
to efloraofindia
Flemingia chappar
seen blooming in October at Sundar Nursery, Delhi
 Tabish
Flemingia chappar-2.jpg
Flemingia chappar-1.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Oct 7, 2018, 9:10:05 PM10/7/18
to Tabish, efloraofindia
I feel it should be Cissamoelos pariera only..
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 7, 2018, 11:02:02 PM10/7/18
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
i think Nidhan is on the right tract

usha di

Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 7, 2018, 11:09:42 PM10/7/18
to Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
Flemingia chappar synonym F. macrophylla

FOC description
Flemingia macrophylla (Willdenow) Prain, J. Asiat. Soc. Bengal, Pt. 2, Nat. Hist. 66: 440. 1897.

大叶千斤拔 da ye qian jin ba

Crotalaria macrophylla Willdenow, Sp. Pl. 3: 982. 1802; Flemingia congesta Roxburgh ex W. T. Aiton; F. fer­ruginea Wallich ex Bentham; Maughania ferruginea (Wallich ex Bentham) H. L. Li; M. macrophylla (Willdenow) Kuntze.

Shrubs, erect, 0.8-2.5 m tall. Young branches densely ad­pressed silky villous. Leaves digitately 3-foliolate; stipules lan­ceolate, up to 2 cm, villous, with glandular striations, apex long acuminate, usually deciduous; petiole 3-6 cm, narrowly winged; petiolules 2-5 mm, densely hairy; leaflets papery to thinly pa­pery; terminal leaflet broadly lanceolate to elliptic, 8-15 × 4-7 cm, glabrous except for veins, abaxial surface with small dark brown sessile glands, basal veins 3, base broadly cuneate, apex acuminate; lateral leaflets smaller, oblique, base rounded at one side, cuneate on other. Racemes usually clustered at axil, 3-8 cm, with many clustered flowers; peduncle usually extremely short. Calyx campanulate, 6-8 mm, shortly very pale brown vil­lous; lobes linear-lanceolate, ca. 2 × as long as tube, lower one longest. Corolla purple, slightly longer than calyx; standard ob­long, shortly clawed, auriculate; wings narrowly elliptic, slen­derly clawed, one with auricle; keel oblong, long clawed, apex slightly curved. Ovary elliptic, with very pale brown hairs. Leg­ume elliptic, 10-16 × 7-9 mm, sparsely pubescent, apex with small acute beak. Seeds 1 or 2, glossy black, orbicular. Fl. Jun-Sep, fr. Oct-Dec. 2n = 22.

Disturbed meadows, roadsides, forest margins; 200-1800 m. Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, Jiangxi, Sichuan, Tai­wan, Yunnan [Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam].

The glands on the fruit are separated after drying and are used as a purple or orange dye.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=242322688

Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 7, 2018, 11:09:49 PM10/7/18
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
  1. Cissampelos pareira Linnaeus var. hirsuta (BuchananHamilton ex Candolle) Forman, Kew Bull. 22: 356. 1968. 锡生藤 xi sheng teng Cissampelos hirsuta Buchanan-Hamilton ex Candolle, Syst. Nat. 1: 535. 1817. Woody vines. Branches slender, striate, usually densely pubescent, rarely subglabrous. Petioles shorter than leaf blade, often densely pubescent; leaf blade cordate-rotund or rotund, 2– 5(–12) cm long and wide, papery, abaxially densely pubescent, adaxially sparsely pubescent, base often cordate, sometimes subtruncate, rarely slightly rounded, apex often emarginate, with a mucronate acumen, palmately 5–7-veined, slightly prominent abaxially. Male inflorescences axillary, solitary or few fascicled, corymbose cymes, pubescent. Male flowers: sepals 1.2–1.5 mm, pilose outside; corolla cupuliform; synandrium ca. 0.7 mm. Female inflorescences thyrsoid, narrow, up to 18 cm, usually less than 10 cm; bracts foliaceous and suborbicular, overlapping along rachis, densely pubescent. Female flowers: sepals broadly obovate, ca. 1.5 mm; petals minute, ca. 0.7 mm. Drupes pubescent; endocarp broadly obovate, 3–5 mm, abaxially bearing 2 rows of transverse ridges on both surfaces of rib; condyle bordered by a horseshoe-shaped ridge. Forests. NW Guangxi, SW Guizhou, S Yunnan [pantropical]. Cissampelos pareira var. pareira, with glabrous leaves, was described from the West Indies and seems to be restricted to that region,
from FOC

===
and in eflora pakistan also has an illustration

Link to Flora of Pakistan home

 All Floras      Advanced Search
Page 3Login | eFloras Home | Help
  • Type: Habitat in Napaulia, Buchnan-Hamilton.

    The type variety pareira, appears to be confined to America and has more cordate and less hairy leaves with somewhat shorter petioles than our variety.

    The plant is very common in hed

    Pakistan | Family List | Menispermaceae  | Cissampelos

    Cissampelos pareira Linn., Sp. Pl. 1031. 1753. sensu stricto var. hirsuta (DC.) Forman in Kew Bull. 22:356.1968.

    Vern.: “Katori”.

    Cissampelos pareira
    Illustration

    Credit: M.Y. Saleem

  • Cissampelos hirsuta DC.
  • Cissampelos pareira* sensu Hook. f. & Thoms.

    A slender tomentose climber. Leaves peltate, 2.5-12 cm long, 2.5-11.5 cm broad, triangularly broad-ovate, or orbicular, obtuse, mucronate, base cordate or truncate, ± tomentose on both sides, ultimately becoming glabrous above and glaucous below; petiole pubescent. Flowers minute, pedicels filiform. Male flowers in pedunculate branched cymes, clustered in the axil of a small leaf; sepals 4, obovate-oblong, hairy outside; petals 4, united to form a 4-toothed cup, hairy outside; stamens 4, filaments united, column short, anthers connate, encircling the top of the column. Female flowers clustered in the axils of orbicular, hoary imbricate bracts, on 5-10 cm long racemes; sepal 1, ovate-oblong, pubescent outside; petal 1, obtriangular subreniform; carpel 1, densely hairy; style shortly 3-fid. Drupe 4-6 mm long, 3-4 mm broad, subglobose, compressed, hairy-pubescent, red when fresh, black when dry, endocarp transversely ribbed, tuberculate. Seeds horseshoe-shaped.

    Fl.Per.: March-October.

Fl.Per.: March-October.

Type: Habitat in Napaulia, Buchnan-Hamilton.

The type variety pareira, appears to be confined to America and has more cordate and less hairy leaves with somewhat shorter petioles than our variety.

The plant is very common in hedges at the foothills and up to c. 2300 m. It is a source of alkaloids like Seeprine, Bebeerine and Cissampeline. The leaves and roots are used as a cure for dyspepsia, diarrhoea, dropsy and in snake-bite. The stem yields a strong fibre.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200008434

go to this url page and you can enlarge the bw drawing to a4 paper, almost

image.png

--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 7, 2018, 11:11:52 PM10/7/18
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
dear all
i just sent in the descriptions from efloras of harvard univ projects
for keeping in our website
usha di

Tabish

Oct 8, 2018, 2:42:13 AM10/8/18
to ushadi Micromini, Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the response. Nidhan may be right, but let me point out the reason for my conclusion. Firstly, Flemingia macrophylla and Flemingia chappar Benth.  are different species, acording to Catalog of Life. And according to FOC:
1. Flemingia chappar Buchanan-Hamilton ex Bentham in Miquel, Pl. Jungh. 244. 1852.

墨江千斤拔 mo jiang qian jin ba

Maughania chappar (Buchanan-Hamilton ex Bentham) Kuntze.

Shrubs, erect, ca. 1 m tall. Branchlets slender, densely brown villous. Leaves simple; stipules narrowly ovate, ca. 2 mm, deciduous; petiole ca. 1.5 cm, densely deciduous brown villous; leaf blade orbicular-cordate, 4-4.5 cm, papery or thinly leathery, glabrous or sparsely pubescent

Secondly, I could not get a good close shot of the flowers, and from my fuzzy pictures they appeared pea-shaped, so I looked for Flemingia species.

Thirdly, the leaves don't look prominently peltate. I am attaching a picture to show that.

Maybe I will go and have a shot at the flowers again.

However, the plant did look like a climber, which was puzzling to me.

   Tabish

www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

sundar-n166.jpg

D.S Rawat

Oct 8, 2018, 8:19:41 AM10/8/18
to efloraofindia
Flemingia chappar is an erect shrub. We have one image of it in eFI photographed in Rajaji National Park, Uttarakhand.
I dont see images here and in eFI as similar.

DSRawat Pantnagar

Tabish

Oct 8, 2018, 9:31:32 AM10/8/18
to D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nidhan and Usha,
  You were right! It is Cissampelos pareira only. I went today and photographed the flowers. I am attaching a pic.
   Cheers!
   Tabish
Cissamoelos pariera.JPG

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 8, 2018, 11:21:38 AM10/8/18
to Tabish Qureshi, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Tabish
thats good
am glad it was where you could get to it again
hope you took many pictures

secondly , do you ever take pics of the backside of the leaves?

usha di

Usha di

Tabish

Oct 8, 2018, 1:40:33 PM10/8/18
to ushadi Micromini, D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I do click the back of the leaves, unless I forget to do it. Here is the one for this plant.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

DSCN0419.JPG