plant ID requested...

Naresh Kumar

Oct 4, 2018, 6:48:10 AM10/4/18

Oct 4, 2018, 8:50:21 AM10/4/18

From: Naresh Kumar <nareshku...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu 4 Oct, 2018, 4:18 PM
Subject: [efloraofindia:306878] plant ID requested...
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

Oct 4, 2018, 9:54:28 AM10/4/18
to Naresh Kumar, efloraofindia
OK. Naresh ji.

On Thu 4 Oct, 2018, 6:23 PM Naresh Kumar, <nareshku...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know exact date and time sir...
I shared from my friend.

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Oct 4, 2018, 12:17:24 PM10/4/18
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
This plant appears to be Euphorbia thymifolia L., common throughout India.
N. P. Balakrishnan

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 4, 2018, 3:42:06 PM10/4/18
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Balakrishnanji
that dx works for me

usha di

Usha di
===========

Santhan P

Oct 5, 2018, 12:28:29 AM10/5/18
to efloraofindia

Andrographis serpyllifolia (Vahl) Wight - prostrate herb near Hosur, Bangalore area it if frequent.

On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 4:18:10 PM UTC+5:30, Naresh Kumar wrote:

Place: tamilnadu

karukaranthai.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2018, 2:05:06 AM10/5/18
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, nareshku...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot, Balakrishnan ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2018, 2:06:02 AM10/5/18
to Santhan P, efloraofindia

Thanks, Santhan ji.
Identified as Euphorbia thymifolia L. by Balakrishnan ji.

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 2:21:45 AM10/5/18
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
but the round leaves bother me a lot
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2018, 8:56:22 AM10/5/18
to Ushadi micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
Hi, Ushadi,
Balakrishnan ji is the Expert on this genus.

Tapas Chakrabarty

Oct 5, 2018, 9:07:07 AM10/5/18
to J.M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
I was puzzled with the lines "that dx works for me", particularly when this code was used for Balakrishnan Sir, who is my Ph. D. guide and a living legend in Indian Plant Taxonomy. Anyway, what does it mean?
Thank you.
karukaranthai.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 9:38:19 AM10/5/18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
oh oh i started a mutiny here with a bit arcane medical jargon?

i am glad you asked
and nice to know we have an authritatve voice in euphorbias here.
Nice meeting you Dr.Balksrishan ji.
=
thats fine, Garg ji, it means i accept, agree,
it means, Tapasda
picture was pointing me to euphorbia, but the roundish somewhat succulent looking leaves were bothering
me and i was pondering /intrigued  before anybody gave a diagnosis

and then when Dr B gave his dx, i said it works for me
it also means, i accept and treat the patient according to the consultant's opinion.

'''
went to sleep all non-intrigued, came back,
but the round leaf shape still was bothering me and i said so
more like it has been  intriguing me

so now tell me why should the round leaves not bother me
is there something i am overlooking
tell me, please

thank you
usha di

--
Usha di
===========

Dinesh Valke

Oct 5, 2018, 9:57:42 AM10/5/18
to ushadi Micromini, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
If I am not mistaking. the uploaded picture needs a 90 deg anticlockwise rotation.
Attaching what I feel is correct orientation.
Regards.
Dinesh
karukaranthai.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 10:04:38 AM10/5/18
to Dinesh Valke, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
is it your picture or case, Dinesh?
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Dinesh Valke

Oct 5, 2018, 10:13:50 AM10/5/18
to ushadi Micromini, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
Ushadi - it is "the" picture attached to this post by Naresh Kumar ji in the first place. I have rotated it 90 degrees anticlockwise.
Regards.
Dinesh

Tapas Chakrabarty

Oct 5, 2018, 10:41:31 AM10/5/18
to Dinesh Valke, Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
Thank you Usha di,
So you went by diagnosis and prescription. Ha ha ha.

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 10:58:11 AM10/5/18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
yes, Tapasda
i will also show you why i woke up with the intrigue
look at flora of karnataka page
the leaves are not roundish
and these are screen shots from  flora of karnataka: herbarium JCB

image.png
image.png
from herbarium jcb

http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ac.in/hjcb2/herbsheet.php?id=1685&cat=1

 i see oblong leaves

they say oblong or elliptic oblong

---

but i also subscribe to

never say never

things happen thats not expected or written down

that why i think it works for me in such cases as this one picture case

and an authority speaks.

==

 be well

and please convey all this to Dr. B.

he should not be offended. he is a  scientist, he will understand my intrigue/angst.

thanks

usha di

--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 10:58:14 AM10/5/18
to Dinesh Valke, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
oh!
thank you Dinesh
you did it to help me
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 5, 2018, 11:04:07 AM10/5/18
to Dinesh Valke, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia
pictures are not showing up are they?
a.png
b.png
--
Usha di
===========

Nathan Taylor

Dec 6, 2019, 12:53:48 AM12/6/19
to efloraofindia
I agree that this is not Euphorbia.  Firstly, the leaves are symmetrical, which means that it is very unlikely that it belongs to Euphorbia subg. Chamaesyce sect. Anisophyllum (the current nomenclature for the Chamaesyce group based on the most recent phylogenetic evidence).  While I can't really rule out any other Euphorbias, prostrate growth is quite rare in Euphorbia except for section Anisophyllum.  Also, I know of no species within the group that is known from India that has leaves that broad and rounded (those of E. serpens can become suborbicular and perhaps even close to this shape, but are far smaller and the stems are hairless).

Regards,
Nathan Taylor
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to indian...@googlegroups.com.

Usha di
===========

--
Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Dec 6, 2019, 1:42:35 AM12/6/19
to efloraofindia, Nathan Taylor, nareshku...@gmail.com, Santhan P, Ushadi micromini
I agree that this is not Euphorbia.  Firstly, the leaves are symmetrical, which means that it is very unlikely that it belongs to Euphorbia subg. Chamaesyce sect. Anisophyllum (the current nomenclature for the Chamaesyce group based on the most recent phylogenetic evidence).  While I can't really rule out any other Euphorbias, prostrate growth is quite rare in Euphorbia except for section Anisophyllum.  Also, I know of no species within the group that is known from India that has leaves that broad and rounded (those of E. serpens can become suborbicular and perhaps even close to this shape, but are far smaller and the stems are hairless).

Regards,
Nathan Taylor

Sep 8, 2021, 4:49:41 AM9/8/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2021, 4:50:33 AM9/8/21
to indiantreepix, nareshku...@gmail.com
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Sep 8, 2021, 7:46:00 AM9/8/21
to efloraofindia, nareshku...@gmail.com
It is Andrographis serpyllifolia (Rottler ex Vahl) Wight
Thanks & regards
Dr. Santhan P
Industrial R&D expert, Plant taxonomist
Author of the Book "Trees of our Life" Botany, Chemistry, Medicine
9444813474/9620389349

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Sep 8, 2021, 9:32:21 AM9/8/21
to efloraofindia, nareshku...@gmail.com
Santhan sir is Correct, I too agree with him,
 With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by Mailtrack 09/08/21, 07:00:29 PM

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAJa_cDjEiVn%2BihLk_UYz08WjTi6P0opg3dwnUSokxpoJmZkCjw%40mail.gmail.com.