Meaning of "ReferrerURL" field in form submissions

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2011, 3:54:30 AM4/13/11
to In-Portal Development
In-Portal has nice "ReferrerURL" field in each form submissions (see this discussion), that represents the page, that was visited before a "Contact Us" (or any other) form was submitted.

In this test scenario referrer will be correct:
  1. visitor have found a link to a contacts us form on other website
  2. clicked on it
  3. filled in all form and submitted it

However in this test scenario referrer will be incorrect:
  1. visitor have found a link to a contacts us form on other website
  2. clicked on it
  3. visitor browsed to other page on a website
  4. found a link to contact us form there
  5. filled in all form and submitted it
In this case referrer will be our own website and not that other website, that user have visited and found link ours website.

Am I correct in assuming, that 2nd test scenario should not fail too?

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 13, 2011, 4:18:27 AM4/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yes it's correct, 2nd scenario isn't good.
For info, does referrerURL is in cookie or session info on our side?

This referrerURL should store the "entry point" on the website.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2011, 4:22:40 AM4/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Nope, we don't store the original referrer and use last one we get (our own website page in this case) upon form submission.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 13, 2011, 4:31:18 AM4/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
then this variable should be kept in user's session until form submission?

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2011, 4:57:45 AM4/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Session is bad place, since it will access database and we don't create session until we need it to minimize site load.

I'll be storing it in cookie until it's needed by anyone.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 13, 2011, 5:11:09 AM4/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok, seems a good place; and I agree on minimizing as possible session creation !

Dmitry A.

Apr 17, 2011, 10:49:32 PM4/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Yes, I share the same opinion as Phil - we DO need to keep track where the user came from original when we record that submission of his.

Alex, I agree that we need to store it in the Cookie or something.

Would you please create a task for this improvement?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 19, 2011, 10:10:51 AM4/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com