Translation bar does not appear

Martin Holmes

Jun 12, 2015, 1:35:00 PM6/12/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
HI there,

We've enabled the Chinese language on our AtoM instance, and established a user with translation privileges, but there seems to be no way to get the Translation Bar shown in the documentation to appear. We're using AtoM 2.1.2, with the standard theme, and we have English, French and Chinese as supported languages.

Any idea what the problem is?

Cheers,
Martin

Mike G

Jun 12, 2015, 7:25:14 PM6/12/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

I tested it locally here and I'm seeing the same thing. When I translate French the bar appears at the bottom indicating I'm translating the record. However, when I try to translate to Chinese it doesn't show up.

I can still seem to translate records for Chinese though sans the bar, but I'm not very familiar with translating things in AtoM. At any rate, I've reported this issue to our mailing list, and let me know if you can do translations without the bar appearing.

Martin Holmes

Jun 13, 2015, 2:34:29 PM6/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a Chinese speaker myself, so I can't do a translation to test, but I have a translator who's ready to get started; I can't really point her at the instructions when they mention things that aren't appearing.

Perhaps we should start with the Transifex project instead of with our own records, till this bug is fixed?

Cheers,
Martin

Dan Gillean

Jun 13, 2015, 3:14:08 PM6/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a great first step, Martin. We've got a guide to getting started with Transifex here:

As we learn more about this issue, we'll update this thread. Thanks again for your report.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Martin Holmes

Jun 23, 2015, 7:30:58 PM6/23/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan, if you know a workaround for making the translation bar appear when switched to Chinese, I'd really like to know about it. We're on a project with a tight deadline, so it turns out that while working in Transifex is a noble thing, it won't help us; we really need to get our version of the app translated.

Hutchinson, Tim

Jun 23, 2015, 8:05:09 PM6/23/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin,

Just to be sure, did you rebuild the search index after adding the Chinese language in the settings? I’m unable to test properly at the moment, but I noticed that the translation bar doesn’t appear immediately for any new language.

Tim

Martin Holmes

Jun 23, 2015, 9:06:44 PM6/23/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure we did -- we've been doing a lot of stuff that needs the
index to be rebuilt -- but I'll try that again just in case.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2015-06-23 08:05 PM, Hutchinson, Tim wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Just to be sure, did you rebuild the search index after adding the
> Chinese language in the settings? I’m unable to test properly at the
> moment, but I noticed that the translation bar doesn’t appear
> immediately for any new language.
>
> Tim

Hutchinson, Tim

Jun 23, 2015, 9:29:36 PM6/23/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Actually, that might be a red herring - I was able to add Italian and get the bar without reindexing.

I'm wondering if the messages.xml files need to be created before the translation interface will work. E.g. Chinese is not included in the translation plugin itself (at least in the release):
https://github.com/artefactual/atom/tree/stable/2.1.x/plugins/sfTranslatePlugin/i18n

The main files seems to be here:
https://github.com/artefactual/atom/tree/stable/2.1.x/apps/qubit/i18n

but it looks like every plugin is translated separately.

e.g. for the ISAD plugin:
https://github.com/artefactual/atom/tree/stable/2.1.x/plugins/sfIsadPlugin/i18n

I'm not sure if these files are supposed to be created on the fly, but adding them manually might be something to try, at least the one for the translation plugin to start with. In which case you'd probably need to clear the application cache after. With the caveat that I'm not a developer and have done very little with translation stuff...

Tim

Jun 24, 2015, 12:42:55 PM6/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I don't have root on the server, so I can't experiment with that,
unfortunately.

We have decided to ask our translator to work on the AtoM interface
translation on Transifex; she'll be setting up an account and asking for
access to the 2.2 Chinese translation soon. I have a couple of questions
about that:

1. She's going to be the only Chinese translator (so far). Who will
review and approve her translations?

2. Only 2.2 can be translated at the moment; we're on 2.1.2. Our project
has to launch before the end of the year (it's a grant-supported project
with a fixed end). Is it likely that 2.2 will be released in time for us
to upgrade and use the translation?

3. If that's not possible, how easy would it be to port the 2.2
translation strings back to 2.1 to integrate into our app? (I see that
the XLF file is XML, and I do XML/XSLT/XQuery for a living, so I can
massage it into anything.)

Cheers,
Martin

Dan Gillean

Jun 24, 2015, 1:38:15 PM6/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I don't know of any workarounds myself. I'm glad that Tim has some suggestions to offer you - thanks, Tim! Martin, I will also ask our developers to take a look and see if they have any suggestions.

I see that you've joined Transifex now, and was starting on this response when your most recent message came through. The timing of everything is difficult and unfortunate - we hope to be packaging the 2.2 release next week. There seems to be an issue in Transifex where we need to merge the current translations forward to the next release manually to prevent loss, which is why we haven't opened the 2.3 project yet. So while eventually everything you translate in the 2.2 branch will be carried forward to the 2.3 project, I worry that you won't get a lot done before we package up 2.2, and it might take our team a bit before we can merge everything forward and open 2.3. However, now that I know a bit more about your timeline, there's still cause to be optimistic.

We hope to finalize 2.2 in the next 2 weeks, and there is no firm launch date for 2.3 - but our rough estimation places it in the late 3rd  or early 4th quarter of this year - we will be launching the new ArchivesCanada portal using 2.3, as the CCA has sponsored development for inclusion in that release, so the public release should be available shortly after that. Though we don't have a firm date, I'm confident that we will have a public 2.3 release available before the end of the year.

Based on this, I would suggest you continue working in 2.2 now. When we package the release, we will close the 2.2 project, ensure that any 2.2 translations are carried forward, and then open the 2.3 project, at which time you can continue your translation work there, knowing it will be included in a public release before the end of 2015.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be rather difficult port the 2.2 XLIFF file back to 2.1.2, because you'd have to find all the extraneous strings that apply only to 2.2 and remove them. If you have experience working with these kinds of files, and are confident using XQuery, that will certainly help, but with the 2.2 release around the corner and another release due this year, you can likely save yourself time and effort simply by upgrading. For similar reasons, working in Transifex may be better than working locally anyway for the long-term - there is currently no easy path to preserve local translations during upgrades, so without some tricky intervention, you might risk losing any local translations you'd made the next time you upgrade.

All of our translators are volunteers from the community. For the larger projects we have translators who have worked with us for years, and whose work and dedication we have come to trust and rely on over time. Your translator will be our first Chinese volunteer - thanks! - but it does mean that we do not have anyone else on the project to review the work at present. They will still be included, however.

As always this is work that Artefactual takes on freely to support the community development of AtoM - but as a small company that needs to work hard to continue offering all our prime resources as open-source and/or creative-commons works, we invariably need to prioritize our paid client contracts above the work we freely undertake. So, if your project is on a tight deadline and you want to ensure that aspects of this work are prioritized, you might also consider contacting me off-list to discuss sponsoring some of the tasks (such as 2.3 translation release management, or prioritizing a bug fix for the issue you've discovered, etc)? This ensures they are put on our schedule with firm deadlines and concrete deliverables.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Martin Holmes

Jun 24, 2015, 3:58:54 PM6/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for the clear explanation. It does seem to make sense for us
to work on the 2.2 translation on Transifex initially then continue on
2.3 after the release. It would be nice if any little bit of work that
might get done ahead of the 2.2 release could get in, just so we can a)
confirm that Chinese is working, and b) see if that fixes the missing
translation bar problem, so that we can also be translating our data
records in the meantime.

Cheers,
Martin
> Artefactual Systems, Inc <http://www.artefactual.com/>.
> 604-527-2056
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>

Dan Gillean

Jun 24, 2015, 4:05:24 PM6/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
That shouldn't be a problem, Martin. We will lock the 2.2 translations when we merge them into the release for packaging, so you will know. I'm glad to hear that the timeline will work for you.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,

Mike G

Jun 29, 2015, 7:56:51 PM6/29/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Unfortunately adding some translations (I see 1% Chinese translated in Transifex) didn't fix the translation bar issue. We'll be looking into the issue for 2.3. Also, since only 1% of the Chinese translations are entered, we chose not to include the few translations in the 2.2 release (it'd be odd to our users to switch to that language and only see a few things translated).

Regards
            <mailto:ica-atom-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com

            <mailto:ica-atom-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
            To post to this group, send email to
            ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
            <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com>
            <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
            <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com>>.
            Visit this group at
            http://groups.google.com/group/ica-atom-users.
            https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/eb30e275-bb1e-412f-ab
            f7-732eade19649%40googlegroups.com <http://40googlegroups.com>
            <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/eb30e275-bb1e-412f-abf7-732eade19649%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

            email to
            ica-atom-user...@googlegroups.com
            <mailto:ica-atom-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
            <mailto:ica-atom-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com

<mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ica-atom-users.

Martin Holmes

Jun 30, 2015, 7:40:50 AM6/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

That's a big disappointment -- we were hoping to be able to get this
functionality working. Since it's a bug, is there any chance you could
fix it? We're putting some precious project resources into the Transifex
work, and if we can't even use it ourselves, it's a bit difficult to
justify.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2015-06-30 09:56 AM, Mike G wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Unfortunately adding some translations (I see 1% Chinese translated in
> Transifex) didn't fix the translation bar issue. We'll be looking into
> the issue for 2.3. Also, since only 1% of the Chinese translations are
> entered, we chose not to include the few translations in the 2.2 release
> (it'd be odd to our users to switch to that language and only see a few
> things translated).
>
> Regards
>
> On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:05:24 PM UTC-7, Dan Gillean wrote:
>
> That shouldn't be a problem, Martin. We will lock the 2.2
> translations when we merge them into the release for packaging, so
> you will know. I'm glad to hear that the timeline will work for you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
> AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
> Artefactual Systems, Inc <http://www.artefactual.com/>.
> 604-527-2056
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>
>
> <mho...@uvic.ca <javascript:>
> *From:*ica-ato...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>
> [mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>

Dan Gillean

Jun 30, 2015, 6:47:57 PM6/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

To clarify:

Including a few strings of Chinese from Transifex did not automatically fix the problem with the translation bar appearing - but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to get translations into AtoM via Transifex. I still think that doing your translations there will be a better long-term solution for you in any case, instead of trying to figure out how to migrate local customizations forward with every upgrade. You are also helping make AtoM accessible to a broader community of Chinese users in the future! So all this to say - your efforts are not wasted there, and in fact they will likely serve you better in the long run than doing all your translations locally via the translation bar would be.

If you are indeed still interested in having Artefactual provide an estimate for fixing the translation bar bug that you have encountered, please feel free to contact me off-list, and we discuss the matter further. Without development support, we will try to address the bug in a future release, but I can't place any guarantees on when that might be - it will depend on when we have developer time that is not committed to a client project, and how complex the bug proves to be once we begin our analysis, for starters.

Otherwise, I urge you to keep working in Transifex - yes it means that you won't have your files locally at the moment, but we will have a 2.3 release before the end of the year, and if all your translations are done in Transifex before then, they will be included in the release.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,

Martin Holmes

Jun 30, 2015, 7:09:13 PM6/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I'll have to talk to our project folks about this. Right now, we're in a
position where we chose AtoM partly because it has translation
capabilities which we need to use for Chinese, but now we find we can't
use those capabilities, and it will cost us to get the bug fixed. We are
happy to contribute through Transifex, but that doesn't solve the
problem of translating individual records, and our project has a very
tight timeline (we have to launch before the end of the year).

Could you give me an estimate on fixing the bug? In the meantime, is
there any way we can translate individual records in our db in the web
interface?

Cheers,
Martin

On 2015-07-01 08:47 AM, Dan Gillean wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Artefactual Systems, Inc <http://www.artefactual.com/>.
> 604-527-2056
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>
>
> 604-527-2056 <tel:604-527-2056>
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Martin Holmes
> <mho...@uvic.ca <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca>
> 604-527-2056 <tel:604-527-2056>
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory
> <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>>
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Martin Holmes
> <mho...@uvic.ca <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca> <javascript:>
>
> <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca>
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>>
> [mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>
> <mailto:ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dan Gillean

Jun 30, 2015, 7:58:40 PM6/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Just want to clarify one thing: you shouldn't need the translation bar to appear to be able to translate your content - e.g. your records. The translation bar is only needed for translating the interface - which you are handling in Transifex. If you have properly added the Chinese language and rebuilt the search index, then you can follow the instructions here to translate your content:

Basically:

  1. Go to the record you want to translate
  2. Flip the user interface to Chinese
  3. Enter edit mode
  4. The English content will appear above the fields available for translation. You can add your translations into the edit fields.
  5. Save!
  6. Any fields where you do not add translations will fall back to the original English content after you've save

In the meantime, I've filed an issue ticket for the translation bar bug you've reported, here:

I'll speak to our developers about a fix to this, and get back to you off-list.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,

Dan Gillean

Jul 2, 2015, 6:34:28 PM7/2/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
One more bit of follow-up, Martin:

It turns out that the bug in question, with the translation bar, is based on a couple of things. We've figured this out partially with some good old issue ticket detective work from another one of our users, and partially by poking around in the code trying to get to the bottom of this for you.

Factor 1: All translation files appear in subdirectories, based on the language code, in the various plugins to which the translation files are relevant. So for example, when we pull down Transifex translations into AtoM, it inserts the translated strings into various files under plugins/<pluginname>/i18n/<langcode> subfolders. Inside each of these subdirectories is a messages.xml file with the relevant strings. If a language is added to AtoM via the Admin > Settings > i18n setting, but there has never been any translations for that language in AtoM, there will be no messages.xml file - and in fact there may not even be the subdirectory for that specific language.

Without a messages.xml file, the translation bar will not appear - it is apparently a necessary precondition for AtoM's current lanuage bar to work. So in your case, the preconditions didn't exist, since we did not have any previous Chinese content in there. This will end up being resolved in the next AtoM release (2.3), when we merge in the translations your team is providing.

Factor 2: We have learned (thanks to this other user thread, and this related ticket) That Symfony, the framework underlying AtoM, does not handle subsets of locales very well. You or your translation team began the Transifex project as Chinese (China), or zh_CN. Unfortunately, when these are imported into AtoM, and Chinese is added via the settings page to the user interface, AtoM will look in the zh subdirectory, not the zh_CN one.

Fixing this kind of routing in Symfony, and making sure it can support many locale subsets, dialects, and variations well might be prohibitively challenging and expensive to resolve. Again, there is fortunately a simple workaround we can do for the 2.3 release.

When we open the 2.3 project, we can:
  • export the zh_CN translation strings from Transifex (from AtoM 2.2)
  • import them back into the AtoM 2.3 project as zh
  • ensure your translator(s) are invited to the new project

That way when we merge the translation files into 2.3, both problems will be resolved - adding Chinese as a language to the interface via Admin > Settings will properly pull up the translation strings your team is creating in Transifex, and because there will be content in the messages.xml file, the local translation bar will also appear.

In the meantime, have you tried translating the content of your records, based on my last message, yet? We expect it should work fine without the translation bar, but I'd like to confirm this with you.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,

Martin Holmes

Jul 2, 2015, 9:22:58 PM7/2/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I'm away at a conference right now, so I haven't had a chance to sit
down with our translator to test the translation of individual records.
I'll let you know as soon as I get back.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2015-07-03 08:34 AM, Dan Gillean wrote:
> [...]
> bug you've reported, here:
>
> * https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/8623
>
> I'll speak to our developers about a fix to this, and get back to
> you off-list.
>
> Regards,
>

> Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
> AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
> Artefactual Systems, Inc <http://www.artefactual.com/>.
> 604-527-2056
> @accesstomemory <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:40 AM, Martin Holmes
> <mho...@uvic.ca <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca>
> 604-527-2056 <tel:604-527-2056> <tel:604-527-2056
> <tel:604-527-2056>>
> @accesstomemory
> <https://twitter.com/accesstomemory>
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Martin Holmes
> <mho...@uvic.ca <mailto:mho...@uvic.ca>
> 604-527-2056 <tel:604-527-2056> <tel:604-527-2056

Dan Gillean

Aug 5, 2015, 4:25:02 PM8/5/15
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Martin,

Just wanted to say:

I noticed that the Chinese translations in Transifex are now up to 100%! In case you do not see the other thread, we will be releasing a 2.2.1 version in the near future. At that time, we will make sure that all the most recent translations are merged into the release. So you should definitely have an AtoM release with a translated user interface available to you before the end of the year. If you have not yet upgraded from 2.1.2 and it is not urgent for you to do so, you may want to consider waiting  until we have the 2.2.1 release ready.

More details in this thread:

Did you ever confirm that you can still translate content without the translation bar appearing? If not, then you might want to consider doing the upgrade to 2.2 immediately - I don't know exactly when the cut-off was, but at least some of the Chinese translations will be in the 2.2 release, and this should help AtoM work with that culture in the UI. There are workarounds for the reported upgrade issue linked in the thread above.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,

Martin Holmes

Aug 5, 2015, 4:34:22 PM8/5/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
HI Dan,

This is great news! We haven't upgraded yet (we're very cautious about
that sort of thing), but once the 2.2.1 release has been thoroughly
tested by the early-adopters, we'll definitely move.

I've only just got back to work from the vacation and a lengthy work
trip, so I haven't met with our translator yet, but I think we'll be
testing the translation functions very soon. I'll let you know how that
works. If it's a bit confusing for our translator, we may wait until we
have 2.2.1 before she gets to work.

All the best,
Martin