Can´t sort trees by reference code

aymar...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 7:54:07 AM6/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody!  I´m trying to sort the trees, with their different levels, by reference code but I can´t. Instead of that, AtoM authomatically sorts them by title. I need to change this because in our case, as we have organize our photo archive, the title is not an important information as reference code is. I tried with the diferent options that exist in "configuration" but no one fixed the problem. Anyone has an idea what more options can I try? Thanks!

Sarah Romkey

Jun 9, 2015, 5:41:58 PM6/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello, thanks for your post!

From what you have described, that should indeed change the sort level in the treeview. You might try clearing the cache to see if that makes a difference?

https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.1/admin-manual/maintenance/clear-cache/#maintenance-clear-cache

You might also need to clear your browser's cache.

If this doesn't help, feel free to provide us with some more information about your AtoM installation and we can try to help troubleshoot:
  • What version of AtoM are you using?
  • What have you installed on (Ubuntu Linux, what version? Or something else?)
  • What version of PHP do you have installed?

Cheers,

Sarah Romkey

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems
604-527-2056
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:54 AM, <aymar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everybody!  I´m trying to sort the trees, with their different levels, by reference code but I can´t. Instead of that, AtoM authomatically sorts them by title. I need to change this because in our case, as we have organize our photo archive, the title is not an important information as reference code is. I tried with the diferent options that exist in "configuration" but no one fixed the problem. Anyone has an idea what more options can I try? Thanks!

Dan Gillean

Jun 9, 2015, 11:24:37 PM6/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aymará,

Unfortunately, there is a known issue with the treeview sort - at this time, the only reliable sort option is the "manual" setting. Other options have been known to produce problems in the treeview display. There is a ticket here:

Artefactual has spent some time investigating the bug, and unfortunately, it may require a refactoring of the entire treeview to resolve. That is, because it is in fact a complex bug to fix, it will likely require development sponsorship for us to be able to address it fully. Displaying hierarchical data in a treeview while storing data in a flat, table-based relational database, and then sorting according to various settings is in fact very complex. Part of the problem seems to arise when there are descriptions in the database that do not have identifiers.

One positive aspect: when the treeview sort is set to Manual in Admin > Settings, users can drag and drop sibling records (e.g. files in a series, series in a fonds - but you cannot drag a file from one series to a different one; you will need to use the Move button for that) to reorder them the way they want. If you hover your cursor over a treeview node when the setting is set to Manual, you will see 3 "grippy" marks along the right edge of the node. You can click and drag the descriptions to reorder them:

I know that it is not ideal to manually rearrange all of your descriptions, but at least this gives you a workaround until we are able to refactor the treeview. If your institution is interested in sponsoring a fix for this issue, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Hafeez Jamali

Jul 2, 2015, 3:34:53 PM7/2/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dan,

I wanted ask a related question concerning the sorting of Digital Images after upload. This question had been asked on a different thread on this forum but that conversation is several years old and hence I am posting on this one. Beside manual renaming or the drag and drop option in the treeview, is there a way to automatically order multiple digital images by filename in AtoM 2.0 and later? Also, if I were to ask my local developer to help resolve this issue, which part of the code will need to be changed for this purpose.

Many Thanks.

Hafeez.

Dan Gillean

Jul 2, 2015, 4:33:16 PM7/2/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hafeez,

With digital object import, like any import (such as CSV or EAD imports), the records will appear at first appear in the order that you upload them. So if you are using the multiple digital object import option (detailed here), then the easiest workaround will be to upload them in the order you'd like to see them in the tree after import. If it helps your workflow, then you might want to consider using a file-naming convention, with leading zeros, locally so that as you select files from your directory, they are introduced to AtoM's multi-digital object uploader in the order you expect.

In the meantime, I will pass this thread on to our developers, to see if they can point you to the spot in the code where you should direct your efforts. At present, however, there is no way to sort digital objects during the upload process, other than uploading them in the order in which you'd like them to appear after saving.

In terms of the treeview, the related bug ticket I mentioned earlier (#6574) mentions that getTreeViewSiblings() is related to the issue: I've located this function in the AtoM code here:

It is then invoked in several places - for example:

Be aware that resolving this bug has proven tricky for even our most seasoned developers - relation databases are by nature flat, so ordering hierarchical data can be tricky, and being able to sort it even more challenging, especially when in some cases identifiers are not present. We use nested sets to handle our treeview currently, but our developers have suggested that the entire treeview might have to be refactored to be able to resolve sorting issues - and like I said, you will also have to find an elegant way to handle exceptions and edge cases, such as missing sort values (e.g. records without titles or identifiers).

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Hafeez Jamali

Jul 3, 2015, 8:44:40 AM7/3/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dan,

Bundle of thanks for your detailed reply and guidance. We will try using the leading zeroes naming convention and see if that works. We already had an alphanumeric naming convention but without the leading zeroes and perhaps that is why the the individual page images were not sorting/ lining up properly.

Kind Regards.

Hafeez.

Hafeez A. Jamali, Ph.D.

Department of Anthropology
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station C3200
Austin, TX 78712, USA

Aymará Pais

May 3, 2017, 2:32:42 PM5/3/17
to AtoM Users
Dears,
I wonder if there are some advances in this matter or may be if there are any changes in last AtoM Version. When I sort the documents by identifier the systems multiplicate for 4 o more the items.
Thank you for your help!
Aymara

Dan Gillean

May 3, 2017, 3:36:08 PM5/3/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Aymará,

This issue has not resolved, and will likely take community sponsorship for us to be able to address it in a future release. I would suggest using the Manual sort, and using that option's drag-and-drop functionality to rearrange the order if needed.

Note that if all of your descriptions have titles AND identifiers, then you will likely not experience this duplication issue. So spending some time adding further information to your records might be another solution.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.