Feature Request: Sync Articles Read on Cell, No Artcle Data Updates

Ben Carr

Nov 4, 2015, 2:57:00 AM11/4/15
to GrazeRSS
Travis,
Long time, long time user, NewRob and Beyond.

I have a new usage pattern. I no longer have wifi at work, .gov. So I sync at home before I get on the 45 min bus at 8:30am, read some article on the phone, at lunch we are allowed to browse non restricted sites, newsblur is non restricted, I read some more articles. Then I get on the bus at 7PM home and have a 45min trip to my flat.

Here is my idea: A "Read" sync button. I don't care how buried it is in menus, I know this is niche. The idea is don't download any new content on initiation of this sync on cell but sync the flagged status of the read and unread articles. I have a 2GB bucket, I have 6 days left in my cycle, I have 62 sites in NewsBlur, GrazeRSS used 898MB of my data plan. I had to turn on wifi sync only. What would be AMAZING, is a third option, cell sync article status.

I don't know, I haven't looked at the code in like 4 years. Is this possible? Is there any call for this? Would this be difficult? Could we bounty this?
Best,
Ben

Mark Otway

Nov 4, 2015, 3:26:12 AM11/4/15
to GrazeRSS

I asked for this about 2 years ago, so that when I get on the train in the evening, the stuff I'd read at work would be purged, but without a full download sync. I planned to trigger it from Tasker automatically when I left the office. I seem to remember Mario did something like this, but not sure it ever worked.

Travis Tabbal

Nov 5, 2015, 12:07:40 PM11/5/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm..... I seem to remember a discussion about this. Sorry it fell through the cracks. I think I had it in my head it was already there, but you had to get to it with Tasker. Sounds like that isn't the case. I'll have a look, I can see why people would want it. Just the read article sync, both from the device and the web, right?

Ben Carr

Nov 5, 2015, 1:10:29 PM11/5/15
to GrazeRSS, tra...@tabbal.net
Travis,
That would be absolutely amazing. I am sure I am not the only one in this increasingly complicated place, VZW just booted my from my grandfathered unlimited data (I've been with VZW since 1998, and on unlimited data since Droid INC, what a great phone), so I am trying to figure out how big a bucket I need, they are being nice, and only going to charge me for what bucket I land in for the next couple months, but then I have to pick one and face overages.
Thanks so much for looking into this for us!
-Ben

Travis Tabbal

Nov 18, 2015, 12:25:08 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
OK. Turns out most of the code was already there. Enough that Tasker users could already do it! I have attached a new version that also adds a long-press to the sync button that does the upload only sync and cleans up some UI glitches when using it. I have only tested it on Feedly. Newsblur should work. Old reader doesn't seem to have a similar API implemented. I'll look into that. I'm going to hold off on updating the play store for a bit to get some feedback, so please try things out and let me know what you think.

For Tasker:
Add a task, Select "Third Party", then "GrazeRSS".
For "Cmd" select "Sync Changed Only"

--
GrazeRSS2.0.9.apk

Ben Carr

Nov 18, 2015, 10:29:06 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Travis,
Works as advertised on MotoX(2nd) Android 5.1 and hooked up to NewsBlur.

This does exactly what I was asking for thanks! You might want to
rename it from Upload though, that had me confused and nervous, as it
also pulls the read states fromt the server at least on Newsblur.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was hoping for on my new capped plan.
-Ben

Travis Tabbal

Nov 18, 2015, 10:43:31 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad it's working well for you! I wasn't sure what to call it, the name "upload only" is in the code, so I just went with that. I was thinking of using something like "Read State Sync" to make it more clear what it's for.

Ben Carr

Nov 18, 2015, 10:49:26 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
"Read State Sync" or "Sync Read States" is more along the lines of
what it actually does.

Does it say in the google group where to send you a beer? or chocolate
or something?

I know you did this for like two of us and Mario couldn't get it to
work and you did it in like a week. I think it will become popular,
but I'd love to buy you a pint (especially rather than pay VZW
overages)!!
> Google Groups "GrazeRSS" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/grazerss/djsYKahSuBU/unsubscribe.

Peter Riocreux

Nov 18, 2015, 11:45:40 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,

As you have just opened the box, can I repeat my request for an extra property of a feed - what to do with pinned articles. I.e. as download, or something else - like there is a default display that can match the download or be something different.

This would also allow a reduction in bandwidth as I could revert to only downloading the article, rather than article+simplified web page, and then pin the ones I really want to read, and have them download at my next sync.

I know it is cheeky to hijack the thread, but I can see the synergy with what you were doing for other folks here.

Peter

Travis Tabbal

Nov 18, 2015, 11:47:15 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
If you want to toss a donation over, PayPal tra...@tabbal.net.

I'll update the notification to be something along those lines, I think it's clearer for people. Sadly, limited data plans are becoming the norm, so I expect more people will be interested in things like this to save some data. I think I found a way to implement it on The Old Reader as well, so I'll probably add that before updating Play Store. I might add a little blurb for the first sync or something, to point out the option to newer users. It's not very obvious that you could long-press the sync button. :)

I'm also thinking I'll pull the closed Flurry library out as I don't really use the data anymore. That should clear the way to post it to open-source repos like F-Droid.

Travis Tabbal

Nov 18, 2015, 11:52:48 AM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, hijacking a thread. pfftt....  :)

It's close enough. So your workflow would be to browse the feed articles/snippits and pin the ones you want to read later. When you sync again it would find them and download based on the new setting, likely simplified or full web page. Does that sound about right?

Peter Riocreux

Nov 18, 2015, 12:00:18 PM11/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

Yes,  exactly. I typically only read about a dozen of several hundred articles in my feed in the morning.

Pete