AIrspy HF+ I/q recording on MAC OS X

Andrea Lawendel

May 18, 2018, 6:28:18 PM5/18/18
to Gqrx SDR
I'm planning to carry with me my newly bought HF+ for some serious MW DX on a trip and I'll be using Gqrx.
It's not evident to me how to set the program to leverage on HF+'s maximum bandwidth of approx. 700 kHz when doing an I/Q?

Thanks for your input!

73 de Andy, Milan

Alexandru Csete

May 19, 2018, 6:33:20 AM5/19/18
to Gqrx
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 12:28 AM, Andrea Lawendel <lawe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm planning to carry with me my newly bought HF+ for some serious MW DX on
> a trip and I'll be using Gqrx.
> It's not evident to me how to set the program to leverage on HF+'s maximum
> bandwidth of approx. 700 kHz when doing an I/Q?

Hi Andy,

The I/Q recorder will record the same bandwidth that you see on the
spectrum plot.

Alex

Andrea Lawendel

May 19, 2018, 8:08:43 AM5/19/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I see, thanks for this Alex! So that I should expect approx 660 kHz of bandwidth when connecting to the HF+, right?

One other thing, on a slightly different thread. I'm considering buying an RSP1A to eventually test it in a remotely controlled setup together with a Raspberry. But what about using the SDRplay unit on a Mac (Sierra) with Gqrx? I understand it can happen via a SoapySDR interface, but I also heard about a few problems under this setup. Should it be viable?

Many thanks
Andy

Alexandru Csete

May 19, 2018, 8:43:21 AM5/19/18
to Gqrx
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Andrea Lawendel <lawe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see, thanks for this Alex! So that I should expect approx 660 kHz of
> bandwidth when connecting to the HF+, right?

You will get the exact same bandwidth as you get from the hardware. It
is 768 kHz, but the edges are not useful due to anti-aliasing filters.
That's the same for all SDRs.

> One other thing, on a slightly different thread. I'm considering buying an
> RSP1A to eventually test it in a remotely controlled setup together with a
> Raspberry. But what about using the SDRplay unit on a Mac (Sierra) with
> Gqrx? I understand it can happen via a SoapySDR interface, but I also heard
> about a few problems under this setup. Should it be viable?

It is supported, but due to the binary only drivers and the way gqrx
uses drivers it is not possible for me to bundle the driver with the
application. So you would have to find another way to get gqrx. For
the same reason, I have never actually tested sdrplay support on Mac,
so it wouldn't be my first choice if all you want is get out and
receive. Perhaps their cubicsdr bundle works better.

Alex

righthal...@gmail.com

May 21, 2018, 12:15:46 AM5/21/18
to Gqrx SDR
   Hi Andrea,

   The SDRplay devices work well on MacOSX Sierra using CubicSDR. CubicSDR-0.2.4 is
   the current version - You need it and the Sdrplay drivers SDRplay_RSP_API-MacOSX-2.11.2.pkg to   run.They also work with the current Macports version of Gqrx - if you build and link with Jeff Long's
 version of gr-osmosdr.

   Dale.

Andrea Lawendel

May 21, 2018, 6:51:31 AM5/21/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dale, I've indeed installed and tested CubicSDR (from the .dmg file found on their site, not building it) with an RTL-SDR device.
But I'm interested in I/Q original spectrum recording, I'm not sure that's a feature with Cubic yet. Or isn't it?

Andy

righthal...@gmail.com

May 21, 2018, 11:57:27 AM5/21/18
to Gqrx SDR
     Hi Andrea,

     At the moment CubicSDR will only save .wav audio files. If you like to DIY - It would be fairly simple to put in the saving of the I/Q data - there is a single read ("readStream") of the I/Q data in the code - follow that by a write to a file and you have it.

   On Sierra, the macports version of Gqrx works well with the RTL-SDR devices. I just tried a save and play back of the I/Q data from my  RTL-SDR stick - it worked perfectly. When they get updated to the new version of gr-osmosdr, the SDRPlay devices will start working too.

   Dale.