Could someone plubish a video showing how to debug GWT using SuperDevMode in NetBeans?

Edson Richter

Jan 16, 2015, 5:03:03 PM1/16/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
As in subject, please, someone could publish a video showing how to use SuperDevMode to debug a GWT app in NetBeans?

Thanks,

Edson

Juan Calderón

Feb 19, 2015, 10:42:05 AM2/19/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edson,

I have the same problem; if you already found the answer, please share.

Thanks

Juan Pablo Gardella

Feb 19, 2015, 10:47:54 AM2/19/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I believe SuperDevMode is not supported in NetBeans.

Edson Richter

Feb 19, 2015, 10:53:02 AM2/19/15
to Google Web Toolkit

I've been able to run, but SuperDevMode won't work for debugging unless you are using very simple projects. Mine have more than 30 modules in a directory structure different from the simple one proposed by Gwt team. So, I've gave up on SuperDevMode and now I've fixed Firefox 24.

Thomas Broyer

Feb 19, 2015, 1:02:01 PM2/19/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I don't know Netbeans much but IIUC it has pretty good support for Maven; so how about using Maven with gwt-maven-plugin?
If you have a multi-module project (which you should, IMO), then have a look at the net.ltgt.gwt.maven:gwt-maven-plugin:1.0-beta-1 instead of org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin; it's gwt:codeserver has been designed specifically for multi-module projects (disclaimer: this is my own project, the other I'm just maintaining “temporarily”).

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Feb 19, 2015, 6:17:23 PM2/19/15
to Google-Web-Toolkit
does 'temporarily' mean that eventually you will replace the old one with the new one? or simply we should switch to the new one because the other would become unmaintained?

Edson Richter

Feb 19, 2015, 6:34:31 PM2/19/15
to Google Web Toolkit

I could... but then I have a large custom ant build process and no time to convert it into maven. Actually, going a bit further, I don't think I'll have time to learn maven soon enough for this change. I'll just stick with gwt 2.6 and Firefox 24 for a long while. I believe that s just too risky for the current stage to change something so sensitive that is  working so well for the last 4 to 5 years right now.

Thomas Broyer

Feb 20, 2015, 8:55:59 AM2/20/15

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 12:17:23 AM UTC+1, Manuel Carrasco wrote:
does 'temporarily' mean that eventually you will replace the old one with the new one? or simply we should switch to the new one because the other would become unmaintained?

I don't enjoy maintaining the CodeHaus Mojo plugin, and never did. I stepped in because Nicolas De Loof stepped out, and nobody else picked up the torch.
That means that if/when I think my plugin is good enough for “production use” (and gets out of beta), I'll probably stop maintaining the CodeHaus Mojo one, leaving the door open for anyone else willing to do it (in all honesty, if someone wants to maintaining it starting today, just tell me and I'll give you commit rights on the repo). That doesn't necessarily mean I'd stop using it or contributing fixes, but I'll seriously consider moving projects to my plugin instead (if not just moving them to Gradle…)
Not being a big fan of Maven, I wouldn't recommend moving to my plugin until there's enough traction that other people could possibly co-maintain it with me; but please start experimenting with it and give feedback.
In other words: if nobody uses my plugin, it'll probably never gets out of beta, and I'll probably continue making new releases of the CodeHaus Mojo plugin (until someone else volunteers); if there's enough traction for my plugin, I'll start looking for co-maintainers and will personally drop the other.

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:03:03 PM UTC+1, Edson Richter wrote:
As in subject, please, someone could publish a video showing how to use SuperDevMode to debug a GWT app in NetBeans?

Thanks,

Edson

Juan Calderón

Feb 20, 2015, 1:51:20 PM2/20/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Well, thanks for your answers.

Finally, I have achieved to do a small hello example using NetBeans + Maven + Gwt 2.7. But as Edson said, I don't if it is enough for big and multi-module projects.

My interest is to move my projects from Gwt 2.6 with Gwt4Nb to Gwt 2.7 with Maven and to keep still the debugging into NetBeans.

Unfortunately, if the future of the gwt-maven-plugin is uncertain I don´t know what to do.

Cheers,

Juan

Edson Richter

Feb 20, 2015, 2:43:19 PM2/20/15
to Google Web Toolkit

Problem is that in SuperDevMode, debugging in chrome shows incorrect sources and breakpoints ; Firefox is even worse.

Thomas Broyer

Feb 21, 2015, 8:20:09 AM2/21/15

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 7:51:20 PM UTC+1, Juan Calderón wrote:
Unfortunately, if the future of the gwt-maven-plugin is uncertain I don´t know what to do.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that its future is uncertain, it's that I believe it gets many things wrong, and things could be better. If you agree with me, then try my plugin.
Switching from one plugin to the the other is quite easy; all you have to do is to add a whole bunch of hacks to your POM when switching to the CodeHaus Mojo plugin (no project restructuration / file-moving needed) and say goodbye to easy debugging with multi-module projects ;-)