GWT website moved to gwtproject.org

Daniel Kurka

Jul 2, 2013, 4:57:49 PM7/2/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Today we finally flipped the switch and moved all the GWT content from developers.google.com to gwtproject.org. The old homepage will redirect to gwtproject.org so there should be no broken links. However if you encounter any missing content or broken links please file a bug.

Why did we do this?

GWT is now an open source project and we wanted to enable people to contribute to the website and documentation as well. Since developers.google.com can only be updated by Google employees we needed another home.

- Daniel, on behalf of the GWT team

Francesco Izzi

Jul 2, 2013, 5:03:00 PM7/2/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
+1 Daniel

2013/7/2 Daniel Kurka <dank...@google.com>

Francesco Izzi
CNR - IMAA
geoSDI
Direzione Tecnologie e Sviluppo

C.da S. Loja
85050  Tito Scalo - POTENZA (PZ)
Italia

phone:  +39 0971427310
fax:      +39 0971 427271
mob:    +39 3666373172
mail:     frances...@geosdi.org
skype:  neofx8080

web:     http://www.geosdi.org

maticpetek

Jul 2, 2013, 5:07:22 PM7/2/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  Great work. Maybe Google should include some links also on developers.google.com for GWT (gwtproject.org) - like they do for Dart. For example :
1) https://developers.google.com/ -> page footer -> "Other references"
2) https://developers.google.com/ -> "Products" -> "Web developer" -> left menu. It their is place for Dart, it should be also for GWT.

Regards,
   Matic
------------------
GWT stuff twitter  - http://twitter.com/#!/gwtstuff

stuckagain

Jul 3, 2013, 4:59:03 AM7/3/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Great work!

Wouldn't it be nice if the online docs would have been created as a GWT application as well ?
Right now navigation in the documentation is a bit '90s style where I always lose track of the index since the whole page is reloaded when I click on a subject.

It could be a very nice tutorial on how to support site navigation and even integrate search functionality in a GWT application....

David

Daniel Kurka

Jul 3, 2013, 5:22:57 AM7/3/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback David.

The webpage need to be search index able, this is why we decided to go with plain HTML, but it uses GWTQuery to do progressive enhancement so the page should not load entirely if you have javascript enabled.
It will change the URL though by using the html5 history API.

If this is reloading for you please file a bug.

- Daniel

Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Katherine Stephens

stuckagain

Jul 9, 2013, 8:54:57 AM7/9/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Not being search indexable is a bit a weak spot for GWT right now, although I guess there have been some solutions ... maybe a good tutorial on how to do this would be nice in the documentation.

The docs are not reloading that was my mistake. I am just losing track a bit because the table of contents on the left do not stay in place. This is sometimes a bit disorienting when the menu scrolls away when I click on a link in the docs.

David

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM, stuckagain <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Patrick Tucker

Jul 9, 2013, 10:43:03 AM7/9/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Funny, I also thought it was annoying that the menu jumped around and got so big depending on what you clicked. I guess the top level links that open other menus adds to the confusion. Figured it was just me though...

Thomas Broyer

Jul 9, 2013, 11:30:54 AM7/9/13

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:43:03 PM UTC+2, Patrick Tucker wrote:
Funny, I also thought it was annoying that the menu jumped around and got so big depending on what you clicked.  I guess the top level links that open other menus adds to the confusion.  Figured it was just me though...

Note: I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about  re. the menu "jumping around".

I do have a problem with the menu (ordered alphabetically rather than logically grouped, uses the HTML file's name as title, etc.) but we all know it's temporary, but never had any issue like the menu "jumping". Nothing different from the previous site at developers.google.com at least.

Erik

Jul 16, 2013, 2:19:33 PM7/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the hard work that has gone into the site!

Can we do something to improve the styling of the new site?  There are people who are researching GWT as a candidate tool for development.  When they research whether or not they should consider it, they hear it can be challenging to style. What do you think happens when those GWT developers come to this site and the styling is less than they'd expect?

I hate to sound like a critic.  I'm just trying to counter myths regarding GWT, with styling being on the top of the list, and am now concerned how this will play out in current circles debating GWT if this site isn't improved quickly.

Here are some styling examples with Firefox 22.0 (the latest) on Windows 7.

1. In this line, text is very hard to read, like a bad image.  It is tiny.  And, what is a beta version, exactly?  The site?  The current version of GWT?  All versions of GWT?  I'm reporting.  How do I change this line?

2. Of course, when evaluating GWT, people want to know Who is using GWT.  Isn't this text is a little close to the image?

As someone noted, these pages were not built with GWT.  Would someone evaluating who never used GWT before know that?  Or does this reinforce what they are hearing from the critics.

If one purpose of this site is to help GWT grow, then can we put marketing CSS love in it?  Is there anything any of us can do to help improve this site?  I'd love to help if I can.

Thanks for getting the site up and helping GWT to be more successful!

salk31

Jul 23, 2013, 8:14:15 AM7/23/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Maybe "we" could vote for something from http://www.freecsstemplates.org/  (or similar)? I'd be up for helping out to apply some CSS. Or the committee choose something?

GWT does seem to do the best to disguise how good it is. I think we all know the sad truth that fonts and colours are what people see before the elegance of the software engineering.

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Jul 24, 2013, 5:22:54 AM7/24/13
to Google-Web-Toolkit
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Erik <erik-200...@openstandards.net> wrote:

Thank you for the hard work that has gone into the site!

Can we do something to improve the styling of the new site?  There are people who are researching GWT as a candidate tool for development.  When they research whether or not they should consider it, they hear it can be challenging to style. What do you think happens when those GWT developers come to this site and the styling is less than they'd expect?

I hate to sound like a critic.  I'm just trying to counter myths regarding GWT, with styling being on the top of the list, and am now concerned how this will play out in current circles debating GWT if this site isn't improved quickly.

As it has be said, GWT site has been moved from google so as the community can contribute easily to change it.
The goal of this movement is that If you have nice styling or any other suggestion, just commit a patch to the project review system, and I'm pretty sure it will be included after some discussion.
I agree that the styling can be improved, but this is a good start point. It was more important to handle all content of the old site than focusing on visual things.

Here are some styling examples with Firefox 22.0 (the latest) on Windows 7.

1. In this line, text is very hard to read, like a bad image.  It is tiny.  And, what is a beta version, exactly?  The site?  The current version of GWT?  All versions of GWT?  I'm reporting.  How do I change this line?

2. Of course, when evaluating GWT, people want to know Who is using GWT.  Isn't this text is a little close to the image?

Just send a patch to the review system improving the wording and style.

As someone noted, these pages were not built with GWT.  Would someone evaluating who never used GWT before know that?  Or does this reinforce what they are hearing from the critics.

That's not true.  The site has been created using gwt (just take a look to the network traffic and you can see it downloads a gwt permuttion).
It uses a server-side deployed on GAE which have pages stored in datastore, and the client uses some gwt code (in fact gwt-query) to handle the menu, history, and request pages via ajax.
For crawlers, the site behaves like all the content were static html files.

If one purpose of this site is to help GWT grow, then can we put marketing CSS love in it?  Is there anything any of us can do to help improve this site?  I'd love to help if I can.

Read this page to checkout the project and contribute, if you need any help, ask for it in the gwt-contributors list.

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:57:49 PM UTC-4, Daniel Kurka wrote:

Today we finally flipped the switch and moved all the GWT content from developers.google.com to gwtproject.org. The old homepage will redirect to gwtproject.org so there should be no broken links. However if you encounter any missing content or broken links please file a bug.

Why did we do this?

GWT is now an open source project and we wanted to enable people to contribute to the website and documentation as well. Since developers.google.com can only be updated by Google employees we needed another home.

- Daniel, on behalf of the GWT team

salk31

Jul 27, 2013, 2:03:07 PM7/27/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Anyone like this one?

http://html5up.net//uploads/demos/minimaxing/

Might need to replace the jquery code ;)

RyanZA

Jul 30, 2013, 11:59:24 AM7/30/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Something like this would be great:

Alex opn

Jul 31, 2013, 9:45:57 AM7/31/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I thought the same when I saw Scala's new page for the first time yesterday ;-)

salk31

Jul 31, 2013, 10:18:46 AM7/31/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
They have typesafe behind them so presumably some cash to throw at it?

I'd be willing to put up a bit of cash but presumably would be 5k+GBP  to get it done the commercial way?

Ryan Chazen

Jul 31, 2013, 10:24:56 AM7/31/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we could collect a small bounty (probably even 1k would be enough?), and start a competition for the community to submit designs with the best design being chosen by some judges.

salk31

Jul 31, 2013, 10:37:40 AM7/31/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'll put in 100GBP (don't tell the wife)

Samyem Tuladhar

Aug 16, 2013, 12:35:02 PM8/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The vaadin guys seems to be great at UI stuff.. they should be able to contribute something in this area?