[ANN] A GC-friendly and fast StatsD client

Alexandre Cesaro

Oct 27, 2015, 3:36:24 PM10/27/15
to golang-nuts
I know there are plenty Go StatsD clients but there were always something that bothered me: API, performance, not maintained, etc.

So I just released an efficient StatsD client with a nice API: https://github.com/alexcesaro/statsd

Enjoy!

LMR

Oct 28, 2015, 8:42:59 AM10/28/15
to golang-nuts
Thank you, Sir!
It looks cool!
will give it a spin.

I love when people share things.. seriously... nice work

Rich Youngkin

Oct 28, 2015, 10:02:38 AM10/28/15
to golang-nuts
Wow, what timing! I just started looking for something like this today. Nice to see work in this area.

Alexandre Cesaro

Dec 2, 2015, 12:03:37 PM12/2/15
to golang-nuts
I just added support for Datadog and InfluxDB tags: https://godoc.org/gopkg.in/alexcesaro/statsd.v1#WithDatadogTags

Klaus Post

Dec 2, 2015, 12:34:29 PM12/2/15
to golang-nuts
Hi!

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 18:03:37 UTC+1, Alexandre Cesaro wrote:
I just added support for Datadog and InfluxDB tags: https://godoc.org/gopkg.in/alexcesaro/statsd.v1#WithDatadogTags

Very nice library. Does exactly what you need.

One quick question. Why is `WithDatadogTags` and `WithInfluxDBTags` not just a single `WithTags` function. It seems to do the same, just with a different syntax?

/Klaus

PS. If you are to do a v2, consider dropping the "With" in the Option methods - it is just filler.

Alexandre Cesaro

Dec 2, 2015, 1:05:52 PM12/2/15
to Klaus Post, golang-nuts
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Klaus Post <klau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 18:03:37 UTC+1, Alexandre Cesaro wrote:
I just added support for Datadog and InfluxDB tags: https://godoc.org/gopkg.in/alexcesaro/statsd.v1#WithDatadogTags

Very nice library. Does exactly what you need.

One quick question. Why is `WithDatadogTags` and `WithInfluxDBTags` not just a single `WithTags` function. It seems to do the same, just with a different syntax?

That's because InfluxDB tags are key-value pairs while it is not necessarily the case for Datadog tags.

/Klaus

PS. If you are to do a v2, consider dropping the "With" in the Option methods - it is just filler.

Right, I did it because people seemed to like it:

But now that I am looking at these functions again I agree it doesn't make the code more readable.

Alexandre Cesaro

Mar 21, 2016, 8:32:24 AM3/21/16
to Klaus Post, golang-nuts
I just released statsd.v2.

The API is more flexible: it now accepts any type of integer or float with almost no performance loss and it's easier to set tags for a specific metric.
The API has also been cleaned thanks to all your inputs.

Check the changelog for more details.

mi...@oobak.org

Jul 29, 2016, 10:33:22 PM7/29/16
to golang-nuts, klau...@gmail.com
Hi Alexandre,

If I .Clone() a statsd.Client, say in a go-routine, do I need to .Close() the clone?

Thank you,

Mike

tquo...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2019, 6:48:48 PM7/25/19
to golang-nuts
Hi there!
Is there a way to have a client reconnect after an initial failed connection?
Thanks
Tim

mith...@botio.io

Nov 29, 2019, 11:25:06 AM11/29/19
to golang-nuts
HI Alexandre Cesaro.
Whenever i use your package inside docker. I get connection refused error. Can you please check it out?