SSL Key Could not be Parsed

Rajavel Selvaraj Ganesan

Jun 6, 2022, 4:46:24 PM6/6/22
to gce-discussion
Hi All,

I'm trying to setup HTTP(S) load balancer within GCP.

I have my SSL certificate (Cert & Private key pem file).

Receiving this error after adding necessary details "The SSL key could not be parsed."

What could be the problem ? Wish GCP had clear logging to troubleshoot this.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Regards,
Vels

Leonardo Belloc Mendiola

Jun 10, 2022, 3:00:09 PM6/10/22
to gce-discussion

 The issue could be due the PEM format , So I suggest review that the certificate is having a correct PEM format as is required on GCP to create SSL certificate resource:

  • PEM Format

  • It cannot be protected by a passphrase

  • Its encryption algorithm must be either RSA-2048 or EDC P-256

Also, you can use the following command to validate your self managed SSL certificate

openssl x509 -in CERTIFICATE_FILE -text -noout

Replace CERTIFICATE_FILE with the path to your certificate file

If OpenSSL is unable to parse your certificate:

The commands above and the full recommendations to troubleshoot self managed SSL certificates are in this guide .

Selvaraj Ganesan, Rajavel

Jun 10, 2022, 3:02:33 PM6/10/22
to Leonardo Belloc Mendiola, gce-discussion

Yes, I was able to fix them by removing passphrase. Thank you so much team!

Now the challenge is that, SAML Authentication is enabled on application (2 app servers behind) – the Load Balancer isn’t allowing to connect to Azure AD for SAML authentication to work.