RAIN RFID

Danny Haak

Jun 25, 2015, 12:24:45 PM6/25/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

My name is Danny Haak; and I work in UHF RFID. Our company is part of the RAIN initiative, which is targeted at promoting the EPC Gen2 RFID technology. This alliance is founded by Impinj, Google, Intel among others. Part of this effort is to get more people into RAIN RFID, and make it easier for developers to get started working with this technology. There is a lot lacking into introductory materials on the technology, but we also 'miss' a lot of open source libraries, like for example Tag Data Translation.

The Fosstrak project does have a lot of code that might be interesting for people to get started on RAIN RFID. On the other hand, if we get more people to work on open source software for RFID, we could get more people involved in writing code, fixing bugs, etc. I guess that would be a win-win situation for everybody.

I also saw that the code is still on Google Code, which will be shutting down in a few months time.

Would it be interesting for you to move the code over to GitHub, such that it will remain available and it gets easier for people to start working with the code?

Regards,
Danny

marcantoine...@orange.com

Jun 26, 2015, 3:37:59 AM6/26/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

Hello Danny,

I think that moving the source code to GitHub would be an excellent idea. I wasn’t aware that Google Code was going to shut down and I guess we will have to do that anyways.

Besides, there are also other projects of interest on GitHub, such as University of Korea’s Oliot project, which is a spin-off of Fosstrak with NoSQL considerations: http://gs1oliot.github.io/oliot/ .

Oliot is a work in progress but my opinion is that the two communities would benefit of each other’s advances.

One of the modules that would need upgrades and ameliorations is the TDT module. On my part, I have been using it and thinking about how to extend it beyond current GS1 TDS/TDT standard. The GS1 standard is a bit too limited to GS1 identification schemes and the TDS/TDT standard is also incomplete for some GS1-based schemes, such as EAN128 conversions to other forms (including all GS1 Application Identifier entries, such as lot/batch, date of expiry, and so on). I have personally worked on adding TDT extensions for mobile identification (GSMA IMEI) and would happily reverse it.

Fosstrak TDT library is underused (or not used at all) in other Fosstrak modules or external projects. Fosstrak EPCIS does not really use it, nor Oliot developments. This is definitely the first module to update.

All: who would be interested in

1)     Helping to move the project to GitHub?

2)     Working on specific Fosstrak modules to enhance them?

Regards,

Marc-Antoine Mouilleron

Orange Labs

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcantoinemouilleron

Jun 26, 2015, 3:52:56 AM6/26/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,
I’m ready and willing to help enhancing Fosstrak in this great evolution.
Regards,
Roberto

Eng. Roberto Vergallo (PhD)
Graphics & Software Architectures Lab (GSA-Lab)
IDentification Automation Lab (IDA-Lab)
Department of Engineering for Innovation
University of Salento, Italy
Via per Monteroni
73100 Lecce (I)
Web: http://gsalab.unisalento.it
E-mail: roberto....@unisalento.it
Tel: +39 0832 297335
Fax: +39 0832 297305

Danny Haak

Jul 7, 2015, 1:11:26 PM7/7/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

So, it seems we have two people for now. Who is in the end responsible for the Fosstrak project, e.g. who can decide to move the code over to GitHub?

Marc-Antoine, great suggestion to have a look at the Oliot project. I wasn't aware on this project. By any chance, do you know any of the persons working on this personally? Or shall I reach out to the generic mail address?

Regards,
Danny

marcantoine...@orange.com

Jul 8, 2015, 1:30:44 AM7/8/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

Hi Danny and all,

As I said in another mail, I did the GitHub migration last week. From the co-founders point of view (I contacted them in private mails), it seems that everyone is OK with the migration, and the decision should be official very soon. I understood that Christof Roduner (one of the co-founders) would do the URL forwarding from www.fosstrak.org.

As I can’t take the responsibility of managing alone the GitHub space for Fosstrak, I proposed a limited list of people to be co-owners on the project. They all have been involved in this project or similar ones now or at some point in the past.

As the Fosstrak project was initially founded by people from Auto-ID Labs, I have also invited people from some of these labs (including people from Oliot, but I did not get their answer yet).

To date, the project owners on GitHub include people from Switzerland, UK, France, Greece, Japan and Brazil. It is not a closed group and anyone willing to participate to Fosstrak evolution is welcome to join.

About Oliot, try out the generic mail address. I did contact them, but as I said above, I did not get any answer yet.

Regards,

Marc-Antoine