Is it possible to create a rendering animation using css3 or javascript?

Liam Ryan

Jan 23, 2015, 6:49:00 AM1/23/15
to flo...@googlegroups.com
I'm creating a flotr2 angularjs directive and I'm wondering if there's a recommended way to animate the chart when it renders?

Currently I'm trying to work it by manipulating the data sets with a temporary variable where I start with the y of each data point as 0 and double until it is equal to or above the actual y value, then I swap in the defined data values. This is highly inefficient and I was wondering if someone had experimented with using CSS3 transitions to expand the graph data in a re-usable fashion?

Liam Ryan

Jan 23, 2015, 8:22:24 AM1/23/15
to flo...@googlegroups.com
Here's a pen showing the very inefficient approach I cobbled together

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Liam Ryan <lio...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm creating a flotr2 angularjs directive and I'm wondering if there's a recommended way to animate the chart when it renders?

Currently I'm trying to work it by manipulating the data sets with a temporary variable where I start with the y of each data point as 0 and double until it is equal to or above the actual y value, then I swap in the defined data values. This is highly inefficient and I was wondering if someone had experimented with using CSS3 transitions to expand the graph data in a re-usable fashion?

Liam Ryan

Jan 23, 2015, 11:22:51 AM1/23/15
to flo...@googlegroups.com
I've had a look through the source code and I can see scale used in several areas but I'm stumped as to how to scale the drawings in a re-usable manner. Any suggestions?

Carl Sutherland

Jan 23, 2015, 12:38:21 PM1/23/15
to lio...@gmail.com, flotr2
Hey Liam, Flotr2's draw method, when re-drawing, is very fast.  Calling it repeatedly is the correct way to animate.

You can be more efficient about your memory use by re-using the temporary array data structure (instead of re-creating it every time).

CSS3 transitions won't work here because this is a Canvas based library.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "flotr2" group.