Exporting User/Authentication Data

Mike

Sep 18, 2014, 10:35:05 AM9/18/14
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I understand that I can import/export the JSON data for a given firebase. However, if I was looking to switch off of firebase, how would I get authentication data including user passwords in the case of email/password auth? Trying to cover my bases in terms of vendor lock in and data portability.

Jacob Wenger

Sep 18, 2014, 7:14:24 PM9/18/14
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

We don't expose a functionality to retrieve your users via our website, but ultimately the user data is your own and you have every right to it. If you want to export your users, including their ids, email addresses, and password hashes (we don't store any actual passwords at any time), please email sup...@firebase.com and we will get them to you. We have a formal process that we go through, but it does not take long. Eventually, we want to make this as easy and exporting your regular Firebase data, but we are not there yet.

Jacob

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Mike <schm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I understand that I can import/export the JSON data for a given firebase. However, if I was looking to switch off of firebase, how would I get authentication data including user passwords in the case of email/password auth? Trying to cover my bases in terms of vendor lock in and data portability.

James Dixon

Feb 27, 2015, 12:15:46 AM2/27/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

Is this still the case or has this functionality been baked into the Firebase export feature?

Best,
James

Kato Richardson

Feb 27, 2015, 12:20:35 AM2/27/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
James,

The procedure here is the same. Email us if you need this data exported.

Cheers,
Kato

Jacob Wenger

Feb 27, 2015, 12:20:57 AM2/27/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey James,

Nothing has changed on this front yet. If you need to export your users, please contact sup...@firebase.com.

Jacob

James Dixon

Feb 27, 2015, 12:21:03 AM2/27/15
to Kato Richardson, fireba...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply!
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Firebase Google Group" group.

Justin Noel

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30:03 PM2/27/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
If you simply want a list of user UIDs and associated email addresses, you can also try my hack : https://calendee.com/2015/02/04/retrieving-all-firebase-registrations/

Now, this is certainly not the same quality of info that Firebase can provide you.  However, I use this daily to process some audits of accounts.  So, it's handy for me to have an automated way of getting the user list.

James Dixon

Feb 27, 2015, 7:02:40 PM2/27/15
to Justin Noel, fireba...@googlegroups.com
Justin,

Nice solution. I may use this in my admin tool!

Best,
James

Jacob Wenger

Mar 2, 2015, 8:39:20 PM3/2/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, Justin! I was waiting for someone to try something like this. What you are doing is totally fine, but as the person who owns that API endpoint, I feel the need to give you this disclaimer:

The Firebase authentication REST endpoints are undocumented and subject to change without notice.

I actually am in the middle of code reviewing a change to this endpoint which may break your script. The undocumented endpoints don't have the same support contract as we do with our clients. I'm sure you are already aware of that, but I just wanted to make sure that is clear.

Eventually, we will have an official API for doing things like this and you won't have to worry about using our undocumented APIs.

Jacob

Justin Noel

Mar 3, 2015, 8:19:32 AM3/3/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
No problem at all Jacob.  It's just filling a need for now.  If it changes, I'll adjust.  When y'all provide something better, I'll be thrilled.

Daniel Libicki

May 26, 2016, 10:27:22 AM5/26/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey guys,

Any updates on this topic?  We're considering using Firebase auth but we're a bit worried about vendor lock-in of our auth data.

Thanks,

Daniel

Kato Richardson

May 26, 2016, 12:00:14 PM5/26/16
to Firebase Google Group
Daniel,

Hello! Great to hear from you.

I'm not sure what you're looking for beyond Jacob's original reply? I.e. It's not locked in; you own it; it's not automated but would be nice if it was.

We don't expose a functionality to retrieve your users via our website, but ultimately the user data is your own and you have every right to it. If you want to export your users, including their ids, email addresses, and password hashes (we don't store any actual passwords at any time), please emailsup...@firebase.com and we will get them to you. We have a formal process that we go through, but it does not take long. Eventually, we want to make this as easy and exporting your regular Firebase data, but we are not there yet.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

tjk...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2016, 7:15:48 PM10/4/16
to Firebase Google Group
Just wanted to chime in here; this is the reason I'm considering moving away from firebase.  I just had my customers change their e-mail domain, and now they want to switch all their user accounts from @xx.xxx.xxx to just @xxx.xxx.

The lack of automation is costing me a lot of time here, probably more effort than just rolling my own service and putting it on Digital Ocean.

Josue Andres Julcarima Calle

Dec 3, 2016, 10:04:18 AM12/3/16
to Firebase Google Group
I asked support and they gave me this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B94LePkXiqa6VUNoY0RCOGlqUzg/view

Yanhao Wang

Dec 6, 2016, 5:07:41 PM12/6/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Josue,

We already have user data importing tool. And our exporting tool will be available very soon. ETA is end of this year. Thanks.

Francisco Saldana

May 4, 2017, 10:23:59 AM5/4/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Yanhao, any updates?