Cangjie input method not showing on Debian 9.4 (Stretch)

Ryan Lue

Apr 12, 2018, 12:17:06 AM4/12/18
to fcitx
Hi all,

Is this mailing list still active?

I installed fcitx and fcitx-zhuyin on Debian 9.4 Stretch, and it works perfectly! I've got it running in fbterm and everything — really, it's very cool.

I wanted to add Cangjie too. The closest package I found in APT was `fcitx-table-cangjie`. I installed `fcitx-table-all` just to be safe, and now I have a bunch of new Chinese input methods — but still no Cangjie!

The configuration menu for most of the IMs above has an "Other" section that lists a table/cangjie.conf file, but I haven't been able to actually type in Cangjie, no matter how much I play with the settings:

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Weng Xuetian

Apr 14, 2018, 1:19:39 AM4/14/18
to fcitx
Did you have any file under ~/.config/fcitx/table/  that make cangjie invalid?

Ryan Lue

May 5, 2018, 1:18:50 AM5/5/18
to fc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay! I just reinstalled Debian. Totally fresh
installation, no pre-existing .config/fcitx directory, and it still
isn’t showing.

To be clear:

* I’m on Debian Stretch (9.4).
* Zhuyin (bopomofo) works.
* ~/.config/fcitx exists.
* ~/.config/fcitx/table does not exist.
* fcitx-table-cangjie is installed.
* no other fcitx-table packages are installed
(other candidates include fcitx-table-all, fcitx-table-cangjie-big,
fcitx-table-cangjie-3, and fcitx-table-cangjie5).

Any suggestions? I’d really love to get it working!

—Ryan

On 2018 Apr 13, Weng Xuetian wrote:
> Did you have any file under ~/.config/fcitx/table/ that make cangjie
> invalid?
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Ryan Lue <ryan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is this mailing list still active?
> >
> > I installed fcitx and fcitx-zhuyin on Debian 9.4 Stretch, and it works
> > perfectly! I've got it running in fbterm and everything — really, it's
> > *very* cool.
> >
> > I wanted to add Cangjie too. The closest package I found in APT was
> > `fcitx-table-cangjie`. I installed `fcitx-table-all` just to be safe, and
> > now I have a bunch of new Chinese input methods — but still no Cangjie!
> >

> > <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uJP4gsIcEKc/Ws7dQrzyIWI/AAAAAAAAKh4/-wSLz_ZmT0UcgwAEmWdUQ-upyT7UNz08ACLcBGAs/s1600/Screenshot_20180412_121344.png>
> >
> > The configuration menu for most of the IMs above has an "Other" section
> > that lists a table/cangjie.conf file, but I haven't been able to actually
> > type in Cangjie, no matter how much I play with the settings:
> >

> > <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yGuvNwK49tM/Ws7dhrjfSPI/AAAAAAAAKh8/CcY3EeZnloAJliiWC9Je2sNCC50SchQvQCLcBGAs/s1600/Screenshot_20180412_120907.png>
> >
> > Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ryan
> >
> > --

Ryan Lue

May 6, 2018, 11:59:24 PM5/6/18
to fc...@googlegroups.com
Alright, on further experimentation:

* fcitx-table-cangjie3 works
* fcitx-table-cangjie5 works
* fcitx-table-cangjie-big works
* fcitx-table-cangjie DOES NOT work

Can anyone explain to me the difference between these four cangjie
tables, and why I might choose one over the other? or is that beyond the
scope of this mailing list? (I tried google and wikipedia, and did not
learn anything concrete.)

—Ryan

Boyuan Yang

May 10, 2018, 10:37:39 PM5/10/18
to fc...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Lue
Hi there,

As one of the de facto fcitx contributors/maintainer of fcitx in Debian,
I'm writing to acknowledge
that I am aware of this issue. However, my time is limited and I may not be
able to dig into it
recently. You might could also file a bug report to fcitx inside Debian so
that this issue is not
forgotten later.

--
Regards,
Boyuan Yang

Ryan Lue <ryan...@gmail.com> 于2018年5月7日周一 上午11:59写道:

Boyuan Yang

Mar 18, 2024, 7:20:08 PMMar 18
to fc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 11:59 PM Ryan Lue <ryan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright, on further experimentation:
>
> * fcitx-table-cangjie3 works
> * fcitx-table-cangjie5 works
> * fcitx-table-cangjie-big works
> * fcitx-table-cangjie DOES NOT work
>
> Can anyone explain to me the difference between these four cangjie
> tables, and why I might choose one over the other? or is that beyond the
> scope of this mailing list? (I tried google and wikipedia, and did not
> learn anything concrete.)

A very very late update: according to the fcitx author, the original
fcitx-table-cangjie was disabled intentionally in upstream source
code deliberately. The original changes as well as its explanation
can be found in
https://github.com/fcitx/fcitx/commit/8f95800f7c0b2edde40a4d158e855f5eb94c8635
.
Users are expected to use cangjie3/cangjie5/cangjie-big instead.

If one really wants to use the (old, unmaintained) fcitx-table-cangjie,
deleting the "Priority" line in /usr/share/fcitx/table/cangjie.conf
is enough.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang