Postgresql Syntax issues

Sid Meyer

Nov 11, 2015, 6:06:15 AM11/11/15
to Execute Query
Hello there,

discovered Execute Query today, looks sharp. I set up connection to a PostgreSQL server, worked all fine.

The only issue I ran into immediately after was that query execution basically does not work - at all. Line per line (from... where... group by... limit) throws an error. That is for the simplest stuff (select * from xy where z limit 10) to complex queries that work fine in other clients.
I'm using the newest JAVA (1.8) and appropriate JDBC driver version (42).

Any idea what might be causing the issue?

Thanks

Takis Diakoumis

Nov 11, 2015, 6:11:46 AM11/11/15
to execut...@googlegroups.com

Hello

Thanks for your comments. That's sounds really strange.
Postgres is my primary test environment so its a little odd that you're experiencing the issues as you are.

Is there any stack trace that's generated? Can you turn logging to debug in preferences general and see if anything is returned.

Can you please post any output and some sample queries no matter how simple the may be.

Thanks :)
Takis

Jan Kyri

Nov 11, 2015, 9:18:26 AM11/11/15
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Hi Takis,

changed logging as demanded, but it did not log any error.

I simply get errors in the output pane as such (the query being simply select * from x.y limit 100):

Using connection: XYZ
Executing:

limit 100

ERROR: syntax error at or near "limit"
  Position: 1
[SQL State: 42601]

Execution time:  0:00:00.26

Or, upon removing the limit

Using connection: XYZ

Executing:

from x.y

ERROR: syntax error at or near "from"
  Position: 1
[SQL State: 42601]

Execution time:  0:00:00.24

Jan Kyri

Online Marketing Manager
foodpanda | hellofood

Mail | j.k...@foodpanda.com
Skype | j.kyri

Foodpanda GmbH | Schreiberhauer Str. 30 | 10317 Berlin | Germany

Sitz der Gesellschaft | Berlin, AG Charlottenburg | HRB 138224 B | USt-ID-Nr | DE 283789080

Geschäftsführer | Benjamin Bauer, Felix Plog, Ralf Wenzel

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error please contact the sender (by return e-mail) immediately and delete this message. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in parts is strictly prohibited.

Takis Diakoumis

Nov 11, 2015, 11:27:49 PM11/11/15
to execut...@googlegroups.com
hello

it looks like its not executing all the query but somehow grabbing just parts of it.

how are you executing the query?

are you using the run button or F5 shortcut?
are you using the execute at cursor button (CTRL F5)
some other way?

what does the query look like in the editor - is it split across multiple lines with blanks? this can be an issue when executing at cursor as blank lines are treated as statement delimiters (ends).

can you post a screenshot of the query as it is in the editor?

i'm certain we can get to the bottom of this :)

thanks
Takis

Jan Kyri

Nov 12, 2015, 3:53:46 AM11/12/15
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Hi Takis,

silly me... looking at the interface as well as your reply solves the issue. I simply adapted my workflow from other clients, wrote multiline statements and executed it all with CMD/STR + ENTER, of course only at the line/ cursor.

Works all fine now.

Thank you very much for your work, I like Execute Query. :)

Best

Takis Diakoumis

Nov 12, 2015, 4:10:10 AM11/12/15
to execut...@googlegroups.com