Introducing Field Objects

David Collins

Feb 17, 2015, 4:14:44 PM2/17/15
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Enzo Community:

Over the few years I've been a part of the Enzo community, it has come up several times that it would be good if BaryonField knew more about itself: centering, conservation, interpolation, etc.   Matt Turk and Greg Bryan drafted a prototype of FieldObjects a few years ago, and now James Larrue-Baulch has forked enzo-3.0 to completely replace BaryonField with FieldObjects.  It has been tested and is almost completely functional, passing the push suite and has similar memory and performance metrics. Now its time to ask for feedback from the community on what else needs to happen, and the best way to move forward.

Field objects simplify the addition of new fields, eliminate collisions of field identifiers, streamlines the grid object, streamlines field access, greatly simplifies the treatment of non-cell-centered fields, and makes conversion between conserved and specific quantities much less error prone.  It also incorporates field-wide operators like multiplication and addition on a grid-by-grid basis, further simplifying operations on fields.

I've attached an introduction to Field Objects that gives a high level overview of the new additions.  You can also see the code in James's branch, https://bitbucket.org/james_larrue/enzo-3.0-larrue.  It would be fantastic if you could take a few minutes to look over the attached pdf, and if you're so inclined scrutinize the repository, before the Enzo workshop this summer. Feedback on any aspect are welcome.

Sincerely,
James and David.

--
-- Sent from a computer.
Enzo-3.0-IntroToFieldObjects-1.0.pdf

Matthew Turk

Feb 17, 2015, 4:19:36 PM2/17/15
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome. Great work, James and David.

-Matt