pedals

francesco biondi

Oct 22, 2013, 4:38:02 PM10/22/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am about to run an experiment in which I collect foot responses.
I have V3 Interact pedals, Windows 7 and no drivers to install the pedals.
I could not find any drivers to get the V3 pedals working on my pc.

I think I will be purchasing new pedals then.

Do you know about / Have any of you already used pedals to run experiments in eprime?

If so, can you suggest me a particular brand?

Thanks,

Francesco

David McFarlane

Oct 22, 2013, 6:08:59 PM10/22/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Francesco,

Years ago we did an experiment using foot pedals, we just used simple
on-off foot switch pedals from Radio Shack, they do not seem to carry
them anymore but you can get a glimpse of what I mean at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4801 , or see the Casio model at
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/casio-sp3-keyboard-sustain-pedal/6733588.p .

At that time we just patched them directly into the keyboard so that
foot presses looked like a key press, e.g., {F12}. Alternatively,
you could just patch these into a PST SRBox and go from there.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online: http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ). 4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----

francesco biondi

Oct 22, 2013, 6:28:50 PM10/22/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David for the quick reply!

It seems to me that the Casio option in quite convenient.

At that time we just patched them directly into the keyboard so that
foot presses looked like a key press, e.g., {F12}.

Can you please give me a more detailed explanation?

Since it has a Jack plug, which port should i use? do i need to get an adapter?
(apologizes, but I am not familiar with this topic at all)

In eprime, which device should i select from AddDevice window?

Thanks,

and still apologizes whether my questions sound stupid.

David McFarlane

Oct 25, 2013, 1:24:10 PM10/25/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Francesco,

Been working on this repsonse for the past couple days...

You will need to get a soldering iron and a multimeter, and have the
skills to use them, or find & team up with a local electronics
technician, as this is a bit of a do-it-yourself project. The first
time I did this in the 1990s, we had keyboards that still had
individual mechanical switches for each key, I just opened the
keyboard case and soldered a pair of wires (from two-conductor
speaker cable) directly to the desired key switch. I left about a
foot (~0.5 m) hanging outside the keyboard and added an inline 3.5mm
monophone jack to the end. The foot pedal either came with a 3.5mm
monophone plug, or I cut off whatever it came with and replaced it
with a 3.5mm plug myself.

Of course, you will not likely come across those keyboards
anymore. But no problem, it just means that you open up the keyboard
again and patch directly into the keyboard matrix controller, which
is what I did for a later project (and that time, I drilled a hole in
the case and mounted a jack right on the keyboard case, very
neat). Back then I got some insructions from a web page, but I
cannot find that right now so you might have to Google around
yourself -- I found the following that introduce some of the
principles, http://www.howstuffworks.com/keyboard.htm and
http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Key_Matrices_Works/ -- if you
cannot figure out how to do this based on these principles, then you
should not try this project.

Anyway, once you you have a switch wired into the keyboard, it
effectively *is* a keypress, so no need for any drivers or Devices or
ports or anything else.

But really, you would be better off using a PST SRBox. The SRBox has
an expansion connector inside that allows you to easily add external
devices that will then act just as if you pressed buttons on the
SRBox. In that case, you will only need to connect two wires from
the pedal to a mating connector -- the SRBox should come with a
manual that explains the priciples involved (I have the manual right
here), or you can purchase PST's SRBox Custom Expansion Kit... Well,
I just looked this up now, and for a total of US$640, you can get the
SRBox (US$450), the Custom Expansion Kit (US$150), *and* a foot pedal
(US$40), so there you go! Yes, that is a bit of money, but you will
find the SRBox handy for many reasons, including better timing
performance (see PST's measurements at
http://www.pstnet.com/eprimedevice.cfm ). But if you want to save
$150, you can do without the Custom Expansion Kit and just get the
interfacing components you need from an electronics supplier.

I think that should cover it.

-- David McFarlane

At 10/22/2013 06:28 PM Tuesday, francesco biondi wrote:
>Thanks David for the quick reply!
>
>It seems to me that the Casio option in quite convenient.
>
>At that time we just patched them directly into the keyboard so that
>foot presses looked like a key press, e.g., {F12}.
>

>Can you please give me a more detailed explanation?
>
>Since it has a Jack plug, which port should i use? do i need to get
>an adapter?
>(apologizes, but I am not familiar with this topic at all)
>
>In eprime, which device should i select from AddDevice window?
>
>Thanks,
>
>and still apologizes whether my questions sound stupid.
>
>On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:08:59 PM UTC-6, McFarlane, David wrote:
>Francesco,
>
>Years ago we did an experiment using foot pedals, we just used simple
>on-off foot switch pedals from Radio Shack, they do not seem to carry
>them anymore but you can get a glimpse of what I mean at
><http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4801>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4801
>, or see the Casio model at
><http://www.bestbuy.com/site/casio-sp3-keyboard-sustain-pedal/6733588.p>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/casio-sp3-keyboard-sustain-pedal/6733588.p
>.
>
>At that time we just patched them directly into the keyboard so that
>foot presses looked like a key press, e.g., {F12}. Alternatively,
>you could just patch these into a PST SRBox and go from there.
>
>-----
>David McFarlane
>E-Prime training
>online:
><http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx>http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
>
>Twitter: @EPrimeMaster
>(<https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster>https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )
>
>/----
>Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
>take any and all questions at
><https://support.pstnet.com>https://support.pstnet.com , and they
>strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
>it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
>YouTube channel
>(<http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET>http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET

jacant...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2013, 3:16:09 AM10/27/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Francesco

David's answers are all great, as slways, however if u dont want to spend good money on a response box snd if you'e happy using USB rather than serial port input, then you might like to consider this http://www.makeymakey.com/
On first appearance it may appear like a toy but I think you should be able to get it to work for your purpose.

John

David McFarlane

Oct 29, 2013, 3:57:30 PM10/29/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
John, Very cool! For US$50 (plus US$5 s/h within USA, US$15
elsewhere) the MaKey MaKey gizmo acts like a basic external digital
input board through USB, converting any switch closure into an
ordinary key press, mouse button press, or mouse movement useable by
any software that recognizes a USB keyboard or mouse. I want one of
these, could come in handy!

Francesco, As it turns out, one of our labs has recently purchased
USB foot pedals that act like key presses, and they use that with
E-Prime. See
http://www.tomtop.com/usb-foot-control-keyboard-mouse-action-three-switch-pedal-hid-c954.html
. Cost is US$34 (plus s/h I suppose).

Both the MaKey MaKey and USB foot pedals should work fine if you do
not need absolute millisecond timing performance (note in particular
that the MaKey MaKey page says that they use a moving window averager
to lowpass switch noise in software, I imagine that might add a bit
of delay; goodness knows how the USB foot pedals behave). Otherwise
users should test input timing characteristics for themselves (use an
oscilloscope, or a Black Box Toolkit).

I would love to know what you end up with, please write back and let us know.

-----

At 10/27/2013 03:16 AM Sunday, jo...@johnallen.it wrote:

> [...]
>David McFarlane
>E-Prime training
>online:
><<http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx>http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx>http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
>
>Twitter: @EPrimeMaster
>(<<https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster>https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster>https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster
>)
>
>/----
>Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
>take any and all questions at
><<https://support.pstnet.com>https://support.pstnet.com>https://support.pstnet.com
>, and they
>strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
>it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their

David McFarlane

Oct 29, 2013, 4:04:06 PM10/29/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify that last point, even patching a foot pedal directly
into the keyboard does not give you the best timing performance,
because keyboards generally provide only mediocre performance (but
see http://www.empirisoft.com/directinkb.aspx ). If you want
millisecond-quality performance, you need to incorporate something
like an SRBox, or a high-speed I/O device (e.g., old-fashioned parallel port).

-- David McFarlane

francesc...@ymail.com

Oct 29, 2013, 4:55:56 PM10/29/13
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David for your precious support.

Like you, my main concern about MaKey MaKey is the timing.

For my experiment, I think I will ended up using the pedal from PST.
It is not cheap, but (hopefully) I won't have problems interfacing it with E-prime through the SRBox.

My lab has ordered one today. According to PST, it should take just a few days to be shipped.

I will keep you updated on how it works.

Thanks!

At 10/29/2013 03:57 PM Tuesday, David McFarlane wrote:
[...]

David's answers are all great, as slways, however if u dont want to spend good money on a response box snd if you'e happy using USB rather than serial port input, then you might like to consider this <http://www.makeymakey.com/>http://www.makeymakey.com/
On first appearance it may appear like a toy but I think you should be able to get it to work for your purpose.

John

Francesco Biondi
PhD student in Cognitive Science