Re: Digest for durham-area-designers@googlegroups.com - 5 Messages in 1 Topic

A Wandering Feast

Feb 14, 2011, 5:33:03 PM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 5:20 PM
Subject: Digest for durham-are...@googlegroups.com - 5 Messages in 1 Topic

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/durham-area-designers/topics

    Susana Dancy <susana...@gmail.com> Feb 14 10:15AM -0500 ^

    Anything written by Randall O'Toole or associated with uber-right-
    wing, laissez faire Cato Institute should be viewed with great
    skepticism. O'Toole has been playing loose with his "facts" for a
    long time. For example, he calls TIFs (Tax Increment Financing) a
    subsidy, when it is not; it is a financing tool in which actual tax
    revenues pay for infrastructure improvements.

    Here's a response to O'Toole's tired argument, dating back to 2007!

    http://www.lightrailnow.org/myths/m_por_2007-10a.htm

    I might have to respond to the bullcityrising post. I hate doing that.

    Susana

    On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Dan Jewell wrote:

    Kevin Davis <ksd...@gmail.com> Feb 14 10:34AM -0500 ^

    FWIW, it wasn't the post itself that credited O'Toole, but one of my regular
    commenters' Google searchin'. I tend to cringe at studies whose sources
    rhyme with "Cato," "Locke" or "Heritage."

    --
    Kevin Davis
    ksd...@gmail.com

A Wandering Feast

Feb 14, 2011, 5:39:35 PM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com
Subsidies are problematic (like in farming). Nothing sustainable about subsidies.
The market is to fragile to offer subsidies to attract business. Subsidies in general are a failed model that has backfired or failed when tax incentives are awarded and never adhered to. They are like end of the year perks for corporate executives.
The rail itself should be the only investment made by the City to encourage investment, to give subsidies on top of a top heavy rail investment and strained city funds is absurd.
Portland is growing too fast and the people that have made it will be the ones who suffer.
We need to make sure that kind of thing does not happen here
Jeff