NPR story on streetcar systems

Susana Dancy

Feb 12, 2011, 9:20:44 AM2/12/11
to Durham-Are...@googlegroups.com

Dan Jewell

Feb 14, 2011, 8:45:01 AM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com
All -

The following link was included in a blog posting to the Bull City Rising
story last week on the Durham Downtown BID.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=8643

I simply throw it out here to see what kind of discussion it might spark

Dan

Feb 14, 2011, 10:15:46 AM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com
Anything written by Randall O'Toole or associated with uber-right-wing, laissez faire Cato Institute should be viewed with great skepticism.  O'Toole has been playing loose with his "facts" for a long time.  For example, he calls TIFs (Tax Increment Financing) a subsidy, when it is not; it is a financing tool in which actual tax revenues pay for infrastructure improvements.

Here's a response to O'Toole's tired argument, dating back to 2007!

I might have to respond to the bullcityrising post.  I hate doing that.

Susana

Kevin Davis

Feb 14, 2011, 10:34:31 AM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, it wasn't the post itself that credited O'Toole, but one of my regular commenters' Google searchin'.  I tend to cringe at studies whose sources rhyme with "Cato," "Locke" or "Heritage."

--
Kevin Davis
ksd...@gmail.com

Dan Jewell

Feb 14, 2011, 10:46:35 AM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com

Good story.  I’ll breathe easier.

Dan

Dan Jewell

Feb 14, 2011, 10:52:22 AM2/14/11
to durham-are...@googlegroups.com

Kevin –

Yes, thanks for the clarification.  The infamous “Green Lantern”.

I’m still trying to figure out if there’s any consistency in doctrine to his posts, other than as a contrarian.

Dan