Where to get primers cheaply

Mega

Mar 6, 2013, 2:55:09 AM3/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone...

I'm going to have my first primers synthesized, and now I wonder where I can have them synthesized as cheap as posible (while still having a good sequence match)...

It would be one 200-mer and one 60; 110 and 63

Anyone experience what that would roughly cost when doing a fair deal?

Cory Tobin

Mar 6, 2013, 3:01:40 AM3/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I get my primers from either IDT or Valuegene. Costs around 0.35USD per base.

Although I doubt you will find anyone who can make a 200base primer.
IDT and Valuegene max out at 100.

Why do you want to make a 200base primer? You usually only need like
25-30 bases for PCR.

-cory

Andreas Sturm

Mar 6, 2013, 3:23:59 AM3/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks...
The promoter should be attached this way. Another PCR for the primer makes it more complicated...

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 6, 2013, 3:31:53 AM3/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I ordered from sigma-aldrich last for $0.15 USD for sequences around 40 bp

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/JDVdQtZ4fzwJ.

Avery louie

Mar 6, 2013, 3:32:18 AM3/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I use IDT.  Thats a long primer though- it might be cheaper to have the promoter synthesized.

--A

SC

Mar 31, 2013, 2:57:21 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
For the 200-mer, I'm assuming you mean a double-stranded fragment you can use for homologous recombination - is that what you had in mind?  I don't think a 200-mer can be used as a PCR primer.

You can have such fragments synthesized by Genscript.

Andreas Sturm

Mar 31, 2013, 3:17:52 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

No, I meant as a primer for PCR, where promoter is already attached...

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/5GvELHQf9WMJ.

Koeng

Mar 31, 2013, 5:04:38 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Why is your promoter so big... I mean like normally promoters are like 35 bps..

http://partsregistry.org/wiki/index.php?title=Part:BBa_J23119

Are you getting a operator and a RBS too?  Also a recommendation from me is to preform mutagenesis if your strands are that big.

-Koeng

Andreas Sturm

Apr 1, 2013, 4:41:06 AM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's just that chloroplast promotors are thatn big.

Even the shorter still functional versions are around 50 bp long.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/iK8vYvgRZSMJ.

Andreas Sturm

Apr 1, 2013, 4:41:40 AM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
And of the strongest, Prrn there is no short version known...