Round 2929: Vote for PROSLAMBANOMENOS

Daniel Widdis

Oct 9, 2018, 9:05:42 PM10/9/18
to Dixonary

Brought to you at great expense of wit and wisdom from our esteemed panel of players, here are a baker’s dozen alternative definitions of PROSLAMBANOMENOS, only one of which is true.   Without looking it up, your task is to vote for two definitions.  If you are selfless, you’ll pick two authors to reward their creativity. If you’re selfish and want points for yourself, you might try to guess the real def.  Or perhaps you can split your votes between these two options.  And there’s always a random number generator.

The voting deadline is in 36 hours from now, at 6 am PDT on Thursday, October 11. That's 9 am EDT, 1 pm UTC, 2pm BST in the UK, 3pm CEST in the Netherlands, Midnight AEDT in Melbourne, and 2am NZDT on Friday in Wellington.  (But I’ll close early if all submitters have voted by about the 30 hour point!)

*** PROSLAMBANOMENOS ***

1. a fictional fricassee comprised of rotted dogfish head, wrasse, wood pigeon, and the roasted head of a dabchick, among other culinary morsels

2. the process of bringing an institution or organization up to date; modernization

3. [Geom.] a non-repeating tiling pattern in 3 or more dimensions

4. the lowest note of the scale in ancient Greek music

5. the vestibule of a Greek Orthodox church

6. having well-shaped buttocks

7. stubborn

8. a battering ram

9. the preference for saturated colors

10. [faux Greek] a meme directed at the US Senate

11. confirmed in religious faith (Greek Orthodox Church)

12. the promotion of health and hygiene by the washing of one's hands

13. those who attempt revolutionary change through coordinated, consistent, minor actions; literally "an attack of small steps"

Shani Naylor

Oct 10, 2018, 1:26:47 AM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It's all Greek to me. I'll vote 4 & 5.

John Barrs

Oct 10, 2018, 4:07:33 AM10/10/18
to Dixonary
I ought to know this, and i can take the word to bits in order to view its separate parts - but nothing makes sense to me in context of the defs  so I am back to guesswork =
#13 seems a possible and for a real guess  #6 please

JohnnyB

Tim B

Oct 10, 2018, 4:25:44 AM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
10 and 13, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

—Keith Hale—

Oct 10, 2018, 4:49:28 AM10/10/18
to dixonary
I'll vote for 6 and 13.

(Apologies again for ending the last round 12 hours early!)

Debbie

Oct 10, 2018, 8:02:27 AM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Voting for
#1 for its creativity and
#13 with hopes that its the real one.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 4:49 AM —Keith Hale— <though...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll vote for 6 and 13.

(Apologies again for ending the last round 12 hours early!)

Dave Cunningham

Oct 10, 2018, 9:29:07 AM10/10/18
to Dixonary
11 and 13 - they are all Greek to me …

Dave

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 10, 2018, 10:48:45 AM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I'll vote for #1 because a word like that deserves a wacky definition, and #13 because it's the only one that makes the least bit of sense.

Debbie

Oct 10, 2018, 10:51:50 AM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It's going to be a blow out for some body!!!
--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

This life is temporary. This life is short.  When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever.  Where will the “real you” live?  Will you live for all eternity separated from God?  Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven?   Learn more so you can make your most important decision:
http://www.godlife.com/gospel/  and  http://www.godlife.com/en/about-christianity

Guerri Stevens

Oct 10, 2018, 12:44:40 PM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

On 10/9/2018 9:05 PM, Daniel Widdis wrote:

Brought to you at great expense of wit and wisdom from our esteemed panel of players, here are a baker’s dozen alternative definitions of PROSLAMBANOMENOS, only one of which is true.   Without looking it up, your task is to vote for two definitions.  If you are selfless, you’ll pick two authors to reward their creativity. If you’re selfish and want points for yourself, you might try to guess the real def.  Or perhaps you can split your votes between these two options.  And there’s always a random number generator.

I vote for 11 and 13.

11. confirmed in religious faith (Greek Orthodox Church)

13. those who attempt revolutionary change through coordinated, consistent, minor actions; literally "an attack of small steps"

Judy Madnick

Oct 10, 2018, 12:59:59 PM10/10/18
to Dixonary
Well, I guess I'll avoid #13 and give someone else some points!

5 and 11 for me today.

Judy Madnick

Ryan McGill

Oct 10, 2018, 8:21:55 PM10/10/18
to Dixonary
I'm going for 2 & 11 this time.

2. the process of bringing an institution or organization up to date; modernization

11. confirmed in religious faith (Greek Orthodox Church)

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 10, 2018, 9:06:43 PM10/10/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1, to reward the creative genius of whoever came up with it (what on earth is a dabchick?), and 4, because it's Greek so it just might possibly be correct.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Oct 9, 2018, at 9:05 PM, Daniel Widdis <wid...@dixonary.net> wrote:

[...]

Tony Abell

Oct 11, 2018, 7:49:12 AM10/11/18
to Daniel Widdis

The shapely 6 and forceful 8 for me, please:

> 6. having well-shaped buttocks

> 8. a battering ram

Christopher Carson

Oct 11, 2018, 8:16:07 AM10/11/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I’ll go with box pop, 11 and 13.

Chris

Ryan McGill

Oct 19, 2018, 3:38:39 PM10/19/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting a bunch of new notices from this old word voting round within the last hour or so, but it's not showing up on the Google group. Any idea what's going on here?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.

Judy Madnick

Oct 19, 2018, 3:45:31 PM10/19/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm not.

Judy

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Oct 19, 2018, 3:49:21 PM10/19/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
None here. Maybe it's Google Groups' revenge for your picking an equally (more or less) long word.

Efrem

Ryan McGill

Oct 19, 2018, 4:14:50 PM10/19/18
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It started before you posted your notifications. Weird.