FW: [daplbanks] Important; moving on with DAPL letter to banks

Julie Maldonado

Nov 28, 2016, 3:02:11 PM11/28/16
to disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

This is an important message and campaign that our friends and colleagues with First Peoples are organizing. Do people agree to have the SfAA Disasters/Risk TIG sign-on? And please send to NGOs, scholarly associations, faith communities, etc. you think would sign on.

With gratitude,
Julie

Nov 28, 2016, 5:04:59 PM11/28/16
to Julie Maldonado, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com

Hi Julie,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm happy to have the TIG sign. Is this allowed per SfAA rules?

Mark Schuller, Associate Professor
Anthropology and NGO Leadership and Development
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
msch...@niu.edu

www.anthropolitics.org

sent from a "smart" phone... please excuse the brevity and auto correct errors

--
This is the listserv of the Risk and Disasters Topical Interest Group (TIG) at the Society for Applied Anthropology.
---

Julie Maldonado

Nov 28, 2016, 5:36:43 PM11/28/16
to Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
The extrACTION TIG is agreeing to sign as well.

AJ, others -- this allowed?

Julie Maldonado

Nov 28, 2016, 5:38:44 PM11/28/16
to Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
30 seconds after sending that out, found out from Jeanne Simonelli, who convenes the extrACTION TIG, that we've signed on to things before through that TIG (such as Constitution Pipeline), so seems like okay to do, but different TIGs might have their own rules?

Swamy, Raja Harish

Nov 28, 2016, 6:10:27 PM11/28/16
to Julie Maldonado, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com

I'd be worried if for some reason we did not sign on. Of course we should, and we should also commit to incorporating critical conversations about the matter as well as about Flint, in all our courses in spring.

peace,

Raja

This is the listserv of the Risk and Disasters Topical Interest Group (TIG) at the Society for Applied Anthropology.
---

susanna

Nov 28, 2016, 6:19:39 PM11/28/16
to Julie Maldonado, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
I'm good with this if it's ok with SfAA and I don't see why they wouldn't agree. my other question is, do,we need a quick vote from  all TIG members as it represents them too?

Browne,Kate

Nov 28, 2016, 6:34:55 PM11/28/16
to susanna, Julie Maldonado, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Yes, absolutely (per SfAA approval). I can check with the SEA (society for economic anthropology). Has anyone checked with SANA, SUNTA, or Cultural Survival?

Thanks, Julie. This is so important.

Kate

Julie Maldonado

Nov 29, 2016, 12:57:52 PM11/29/16
to Browne,Kate, susanna, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for my ignorance of disaster TIG leadership, but is there an official convener of the TIG? I've already added my name to represent other groups, so would be preferable for the convener to go to the link and sign the TIG on, if this is agreed by all. Has to be done by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Julie

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Browne,Kate <Kate....@colostate.edu> wrote:
Yes, absolutely (per SfAA approval). I can check with the SEA (society for economic anthropology). Has anyone checked with SANA, SUNTA, or Cultural Survival?

Thanks, Julie. This is so important.

Kate

Marino, Elizabeth

Nov 29, 2016, 1:05:42 PM11/29/16
to Julie Maldonado, Browne,Kate, susanna, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it strikes me that we have no decision-making structure for things like this - maybe that's preferable, I don't know. Could we  say, anyone who objects should raise objections in the next 12 hours and if no one objects we go forward?

I support the TIG signature. I would nominate Mark, Susanna, or AJ to sign?

Just a thought,
Beth

Elizabeth Marino, PhD
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Social Science and Sustainability Programs
OSU - Cascades
T/ 541-322-2055
http://www.osucascades.edu/elizabeth-marino

Nov 29, 2016, 1:11:05 PM11/29/16
to Marino, Elizabeth, Julie Maldonado, Browne,Kate, susanna, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
I do not know if we have any sort of structure in place for this sort of thing, but Sarah Taylor, Roberto Barrios, and Qiaoyun Zhang co-chair the TIG. They may be able to clarify what we need to do and who would need to sign.

And I would also support such a signature.

Jenn

***
Jennifer Skrmetti Trivedi
GDN Volunteer/Intern

Postdoctoral Researcher
Disaster Research Center
University of Delaware
jtri...@udel.edu

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Marino, Elizabeth <Elizabet...@osucascades.edu> wrote:
Yes, it strikes me that we have no decision-making structure for things like this - maybe that's preferable, I don't know. Could we  say, anyone who objects should raise objections in the next 12 hours and if no one objects we go forward?

I support the TIG signature. I would nominate Mark, Susanna, or AJ to sign?

Just a thought,
Beth

Elizabeth Marino, PhD
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Social Science and Sustainability Programs
OSU - Cascades
T/ 541-322-2055
http://www.osucascades.edu/elizabeth-marino

Marino, Elizabeth

In terms of presentations, it's Sarah Taylor  Roberto, and Qiaoyun this year with Roberto taking lead next. AJ still mostly handles business and fall or bottom line is me. you send out a call, all the responses you got were positive, so I say go ahead. Tom May has left SfAA, so you might quickly ask the president. I don't have her number with me in NYC but you could look it up on the Website.
Susanna

Julie Maldonado

Nov 29, 2016, 1:22:13 PM11/29/16
to susanna, Browne,Kate, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Susanna!

If don't hear from conveners or any dissenting opinions by first thing tomorrow morning, I'll go ahead and sign for TIG.

extrACTION TIG already signed on, so there is a precedent for doing so if that helps.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:15 AM, susanna <sus...@smhoffman.com> wrote:
In terms of presentations, it's Sarah Taylor  Roberto, and Qiaoyun this year with Roberto taking lead next. AJ still mostly handles business and fall or bottom line is me. you send out a call, all the responses you got were positive, so I say go ahead. Tom May has left SfAA, so you might quickly ask the president. I don't have her number with me in NYC but you could look it up on the Website.
Susanna

susanna

Nov 29, 2016, 2:28:30 PM11/29/16
to Julie Maldonado, Browne,Kate, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
Lord knows,we have to follow precedent.

Julie Maldonado

Nov 30, 2016, 12:04:12 PM11/30/16
to susanna, Browne,Kate, Mark Schuller, disasters-and-app...@googlegroups.com
I opened my email this morning and was going to sign us on to the letter, but unfortunately I'm Pacific time, and the letter went out early morning East Coast time. Sorry about that! The good news though is that 400+ organizations signed on. There will be more such things coming up I'm sure, so it's good to think on a precedent to follow for understanding if the TIG will sign on. Seems like sending out to group for agreement, and if no differing opinions then okay to proceed?

Thanks all,
Julie