Thunderbolt Writeblocking

b...@smalldata.industries

Feb 23, 2021, 11:58:36 AM2/23/21
to Digital Curation
Hi all,

As far as I have been able to find forensic bridges / hardware write blockers for Thunderbolt devices still do not exist.

I'm curious what folks have used successfully as an alternative when needed?

Thanks!

nickkrab...@nypl.org

Feb 25, 2021, 5:35:06 PM2/25/21
to Digital Curation
Have you had issues with a software write blockers? We have used Disk Arbitrator in the past for thunderbolt drives.

-Nick

b...@smalldata.industries

Feb 25, 2021, 6:28:20 PM2/25/21
to Digital Curation
I had looked at Disk Arbitrator, but the readme said

"It is important to note that Disk Arbitrator is not a software write blocker"

The only Mac compatabile (the hardware in my case is Mac only, not just the volume, but the RAID itself) software write blocker I've found is Cellebrite, and they've yet to respond to my request for pricing… it is likely quite expensive.

Nick Krabbenhoeft

Feb 25, 2021, 10:36:39 PM2/25/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the readme double-check. I'll have to reinvestigate our options.